Traveltalkonline.com Forums

People Talk >> BVI People Talk

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
leahb
Traveler

Loc: Boston
Good vs Bad SJU experience
      #1593749 - 06/09/14 11:49 PM (24.62.115.146)

Carol,
We typically only hear about the bad experiences people have at SJU and I think it freaks people out to some degree and then you have people like me who have never had an issue and I wouldn't think to post about a positive experience. So, I was thinking a poll (since you're doing polls anyway) would show us how many people actually have a bad vs a good experience at SJU. What do you think?
STT/EIS ferry experience data would be interesting too.

--------------------
It's a round trip. Getting to the summit is optional, getting down is mandatory.
~ Ed Viesturs

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
JasonHelmbrecht
Traveler

Loc: Cane Garden Bay, Tortola
Re: Good vs Bad SJU experience [Re: leahb]
      #1593801 - 06/10/14 10:06 AM (63.72.208.223)

4-5 trips a year, usually all good. I typically fly commercial from Atlanta to SJU and then charter to Anegada. The best way to do that is use carry-on bags so you don't have to leave the secured area. If checked bags are a must, most charter companies offer a service where they fetch the bags from baggage area and bring them thru security while you wait at the bar! On the return, clearing Customs and Immigration is required with your bags as well as the USDA bag check. It's a tough lesson to learn but now that I know it's required, I usually remember. If the airport is busy, I'll typically ask the charter pilot to wait with me for USDA and then he can walk me right to the front of the security line.

I have not found reasonable food anywhere but the bars aren't too bad. If you seek out the Margaritaville bar, their Cuban sandwich isn't too bad.

I will agree that the construction has made the trip a little more confusing but everyone just needs to remember that if you're not claiming bags, all the terminals are connected. Ask for directions before you accidentally exit the secured area.

Also, the charter flights all have a place to meet inside the secured area if you aren't picking up checked bags so ask them ahead of time where to meet.

AquaGirl
Traveler

Loc: Virginia suburbs of DC
Re: Good vs Bad SJU experience [Re: leahb]
      #1593812 - 06/10/14 10:39 AM (173.66.55.191)

We've flown into SJU for many years and (thankfully) have never had a bad experience there. The most recent is last Oct when we connected with a Seaborne flight to EIS. It was a bit confusing to find the Seaborne counter from where we came in on a United flight, but we asked directions, then found it with no problem.

Regarding food - we ate at a little Hispanic type chicken place and the food was actually very good. I am usually a bit leery of eating at airport restaurants, and take stuff with me. That trip, the timing was such that we were starving and didn't have food with us.

MarkandMarie
Traveler

Loc: East Greenbush, NY
Re: Good vs Bad SJU experience [Re: AquaGirl]
      #1593815 - 06/10/14 10:52 AM (163.153.162.252)

We have been through twice and have not had a problem.

Last year I flew South West and then Seaborne to EIS, stayed in secured area on the way down and it was painless.

On the way home, I had loads of time between flights and had no problems finding where I had to be.

The USDA thing almost screwed me up, but it only took a second when I found it. I remember asking if that was all there was to it.

It pays to be prepared and know where you are going. That map in the other thread is a handy tool.

M&M

Manpot
Traveler

Loc: Tortola/ Sonoma, California
Re: Good vs Bad SJU experience [Re: AquaGirl]
      #1593856 - 06/10/14 12:27 PM (198.56.58.178)

I avoid SJU like the plague..worst ever experience was flying to London for my mother's funeral..delays out of EIS meant I missed every connection. No one in the secured area of EIS would help..my cell would not work there and the pay phone was put of order. I finally managed to get someone to help and get me on a later flight. I ran the length of the SJU with my bags and got to the gate as they closed the door on the plane.On top of having $$$ of stuff stolen and being bumped off flights..and the terrible food in SJU I'll take my chances with the ferry,

sail2wind
Traveler

Loc: GJ, CO S/V Long Overdue
Re: Good vs Bad SJU experience [Re: Manpot]
      #1593865 - 06/10/14 12:36 PM (64.134.63.21)

I'm with you Mal, hate SJU. I am at least one Leatherman lighter do to SJU's baggage handlers. At least if I get stuck in STT, I have several friends to call and hang out with.

lauraandrex
Sponsor

Loc: Buffalo, NY
Re: Good vs Bad SJU experience [Re: Manpot]
      #1593866 - 06/10/14 12:40 PM (142.105.173.32)

One thing I learned is the good food is outside of the terminal...so if you have the time, go out of security and eat out there. Also learned "almost" the hard way if you book two separate flights that aren't code share ( I think we had USAirways and Cape Air at the time) and you have checked bags, do not give yourself a one and half hour layover. Rex had to go to baggage claim and then sit in security line for an hour, luckily Cape Air was cool, the kids and I were in the terminal so they knew he was coming. They would have held it for him, but he literally got there as the plane was boarding so it all worked out but we learned that lesson.

--------------------
cheers! Laura
Custom Sailing Shirts https://www.facebook.com/pages/CustomSailingShirtscom/112040245530182
www.customsailingshirts.com
sales@customsailingshirts.com

RonP
Traveler

Loc: Amityville, NY
Re: Good vs Bad SJU experience [Re: lauraandrex]
      #1593932 - 06/10/14 03:38 PM (144.160.226.94)

I'm not grasping where this USDA thing is. We went through there last year right before AA/AE pulled out. OK, so we walked into the terminal, did the Bataan Death March down the long corridor with the windows, and around into C&I. Then you go to a place where you recheck the bags after customs, but that just looked like an Xray machine where they hand you tags. Then sort of to the right and into TSA lines, and back into terminal A. I don't remember any USDA check and no one acted like we'd missed a step. Did we do it and I just don't remember?

JasonHelmbrecht
Traveler

Loc: Cane Garden Bay, Tortola
Re: Good vs Bad SJU experience [Re: RonP]
      #1593935 - 06/10/14 03:53 PM (63.72.208.223)

If you recheck your bags immediately after C&I they do the USDA check there. Everyone else must scan their bags at the USDA stations between the ticket counters and the curbside dropoff.

Twanger
Traveler

Loc: Maryland
Re: Good vs Bad SJU experience [Re: JasonHelmbrecht]
      #1593947 - 06/10/14 04:33 PM (184.182.182.178)

We sometimes fly through SJU on the way to STT.
Bags are typically checked right through.

Have had no problems.

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      TTOLCode is enabled

Topic views: 2897

Jump to

Contact Us Terms of Use Advertising on TTOL Traveltalkonline
A Public Service of TTOL