Traveltalkonline.com Forums

People Talk >> Caravanserai Now Alegria

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)
Carol_HillAdministrator
Administrator

Loc: Central Florida!
Re: Does Anyone have the full text of the email? [Re: mecs]
      #1608074 - 10/05/14 08:35 AM (50.102.18.50)

Wow, if the St. Maarten government allows this to happen, this will prove yet again that the only protection you have in buying a t/s is the integrity of the owners, like at LaVista. You have absolutely zero legal protection.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
San
Traveler

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
Re: Does Anyone have the full text of the email? [Re: Carol_Hill]
      #1608077 - 10/05/14 08:57 AM (32.211.77.55)

There are 60 timeshare units for 52 weeks. In July of 2013 there were 2,056 weeks sold with 1064 weeks still available. With more than 2,000 emails to be sent out, they must be methodically contacting us. We also have not received a letter.

mecs
Traveler

Loc: PA
Re: Does Anyone have the full text of the email? [Re: San]
      #1608080 - 10/05/14 09:06 AM (24.144.229.52)

In July/August the people in the lobby office upstairs were relentlessly trying to get people to sell back their timeshare units and join a vacation club. At the time I told them it bothered me because it looked like they were trying to get rid of timeshare owners so that any new Caravanserai owner would have vacant rooms to resell once he fixed up the resort. We did not trade our units back in because we had sleep 8 units which are needed for our large family. It seems I was right and it also seems like they all may have known this action was forthcoming. It Smells.

boucharda
Traveler

Loc: Massachusetts
Re: Does Anyone have the full text of the email? [Re: Carol_Hill]
      #1608081 - 10/05/14 09:10 AM (76.118.193.255)

I think everyone is just rolling over and accepting this as a done deal which it very well MIGHT be...but...anyone can put anything in a letter and send it. It doesn't mean "the SXM Government" weighed in an approved it nor that the courts would uphold it if asked to become involved by those affected.

If anyone really wants to fight this I would think a signed right of use agreement for x years would be on their side. If THOSE agreements have no value then any right to use (not deeded) resort could "change hands" every few years and eliminate all purchases made and start over....and over....rinse and repeat.

I have no chips in this resort but it will set a precedent for all right to use "Vacation Ownership" aka "timeshares"

pat
Traveler

Loc: Brookfield, CT.
Re: Does Anyone have the full text of the email? [Re: boucharda]
      #1608085 - 10/05/14 09:25 AM (32.216.64.42)

Great points, all.

If the new owners persist with this attempt to force the timeshare purchasers into submission, it sounds like a good island lawyer is needed to bring this before the Dutch courts and resolve the issues once and for all. You all purchased in good faith and since the convening Dutch authorities are already questioning the integrity of the island governments, this might be a good test case to see where they really stand. Sadly, this wouldn't be an inexpensive solution.

I can't help but wonder what will happen to those who are scheduled to stay there in the next few months while this is resolved. I wish you all good luck.

--------------------
Respectfully,

pat

"Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat
them."

murphycpcu
Traveler

Re: Caravanserai now Alegria
      #1608086 - 10/05/14 09:45 AM (65.189.247.34)

What is the difference in the new change for owners of one or more weeks versus those that actually own the unit for the whole year?

DebNLena
Traveler

Loc: Northern Virgina
Re: Does Anyone have the full text of the email? [Re: boucharda]
      #1608087 - 10/05/14 09:59 AM (72.66.3.194)

If my memory serves me right, the units are deeded for 99 years. I am also in possession of the lease agreement which states that we have the right to occupy and use our unit until the end of 2020.

murphycpcu
Traveler

Re: Does Anyone have the full text of the email? [Re: DebNLena]
      #1608089 - 10/05/14 10:10 AM (65.189.247.34)

Did you buy the actual unit or did you buy individual weeks for use at designated times of the year?

We were to rent from what I believe to be an owner of the entire unit. I have seen them advertised for 3-400k.
The owner of the unit we were to rent for week 4 this year does not respond and I think this new ownership issue is the reason why. We are now committed to a different unit and I am glad based on all this uncertainty and chaos. I hope the owners of weeks or the units do not get the short end.

DebNLena
Traveler

Loc: Northern Virgina
Re: Does Anyone have the full text of the email? [Re: murphycpcu]
      #1608090 - 10/05/14 10:22 AM (72.66.3.194)

We bought an individual week but opted for points as opposed to weeks. The points allow us to trade into a smaller unit if we want for a longer period of time. We bought a week in a 3 bedroom penthouse but have been trading into Royal Islander for the past few years in a 2 bedroom for 2 weeks. The points can also be used for other travel, cruises, etc. Seemed like a much better deal at the time.

SXMWendell
Traveler

Re: Caravanserai now Alegria [Re: CindyO]
      #1608100 - 10/05/14 12:16 PM (76.206.23.42)

Been watching threads like this one for over a month. And some of the comments I really don't understand.

Lease holders were told the place would be finished in 2 years. How many times was this extended? Did this have all the adminities promised? Do you see a pattern here? I feel that his property has been a mess from day one and for some reason the leaseholders just kept putting up with the abuse.

I am really surprised the bank didn't shut down the resort. They are in the banking business NOT the hotel/TS business. They don't want to be in the hotel/TS business. Banks don't like their losses to get bigger, ie paying additional water, light and wages.

Then when the resort sold. I see comments like " Now we can see things get better finally". No one knew/knows what the plans of the new owner are. The place didn't make it as a TS and went back to the bank. So maybe the new owner might not go that direction?

I see this tread about the new owner dropping the TS business and now some lease holders want to fight. Don't you think the new owner had a team of lawyers investigate what could and couldn't be done before they even made the bid on the place? If the lease holders do fight ( which could take several years) do you still have to keep the yearly MF's up to date ( even if they triple) or be in breach of contract? How much money will it take ( or you want to spend) to take them to court? What happens if the new owner sells the place. Will the legal fight have to start all over again (send more money)?

And leaseholders want to blame the new owner for exercising their apparently legal right. As the same as you want to fight for, but apparently the new owners have more rights to the property.

SXM??? Wendell

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      TTOLCode is enabled

Topic views: 57724

Jump to

Contact Us Terms of Use Advertising on TTOL Traveltalkonline