Traveltalkonline.com Forums

People Talk >> BVI People Talk

Pages: 1
Twanger
Traveler

Loc: Maryland
Whoo-hoo! Passed my confined water dive scuba work
      #1651480 - 06/08/15 11:52 AM (50.193.144.241)

One step closer to getting scuba certified!
I'm so excited!

Our class of 8 spent 5 hours in the Twinbrook Rockville, MD pool on Saturday going through all of the skills they teach in the confined water dive section of the course.

My objective was to never panic to the surface during the course, and I achieved this objective. I think everybody else in my group panicked to the surface at least once, and some people did multiple times. But, I spend a lot of time deep under water skin diving (no scuba) so I'm very used to being under water for long periods of time without panicking. Many of the students didn't appear to even have any skin diving experience, which I believe was to their detriment.

I feel kinda bad, I accidentally punked my dive buddy into panicking to the surface. It came time for him to have his air turned off by the instructor and then ask for and breath off my spare regulator. They were rushing and got started a little before I got into position. His air was off and I didn't yet have my spare regulator unclipped from my BCD. It took me about half-a-second to pull it loose and when I looked up my buddy was GONE! Oops. I felt bad. He was cool about it though.

Later I almost punked myself. I got done breathing off my buddy's regulator and handed it back to him. Only then did I remember that I need to breath off my regulator, and by that time it had drifted around behind my back! I can hold my breath for a loooooong time, so its was not a big deal, and I fished around until I found it and put it back in my mouth.

So next up is the 4 open water dives. Planning to do those with Dive Culebra in the Spanish Virgin Islands in August, unless someone has a better suggestion for the SVI. I know that there's a dive shop on Vieques as well (in the town of Isabella II).

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Kimmers
Traveler

Loc: Ex-Spyglass Villa owners in Le...
Re: Whoo-hoo! Passed my confined water dive scuba work [Re: Twanger]
      #1651589 - 06/08/15 08:50 PM (65.35.16.31)

Congrats! We were certified back in 1976 when it was far less "involved" but enjoyed diving for years thereafter. It's am amazing feeling to be able to breath while have fish above you. Enjoy!

--------------------

Kimmers

sail2wind
Traveler

Loc: GJ, CO S/V Long Overdue
Re: Whoo-hoo! Passed my confined water dive scuba work [Re: Kimmers]
      #1651676 - 06/09/15 12:02 PM (184.166.21.62)

congrats Walt, now the fun part of the certification, diving

ski2play
Traveler

Re: Whoo-hoo! Passed my confined water dive scuba work [Re: sail2wind]
      #1652880 - 06/17/15 09:33 AM (128.151.71.21)

Congrats! I am at the same point you are with my certification. Just need to finish up, and soon!

--------------------

kneafseym
Traveler

Loc: Somewhere out there
Re: Whoo-hoo! Passed my confined water dive scuba work [Re: ski2play]
      #1652896 - 06/17/15 10:18 AM (172.56.6.150)

Our daughter Lilly turned 10 June 1 and got her certification a week later. Been fun doing some dive off the boat.

Twanger
Traveler

Loc: Maryland
Re: Whoo-hoo! Passed my confined water dive scuba work [Re: kneafseym]
      #1652908 - 06/17/15 11:02 AM (50.193.144.241)

Quote:

kneafseym said:
Our daughter Lilly turned 10 June 1 and got her certification a week later. Been fun doing some dive off the boat.

Cool.

My granddaughter is a little fish, and about the same age.
She would probably love diving.

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      TTOLCode is enabled

Topic views: 2120

Jump to

Contact Us Terms of Use Advertising on TTOL Traveltalkonline
A Public Service of TTOL