Traveltalkonline.com Forums

Travel and Vacation Forums >> British Virgin Islands

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
warren460
Traveler

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Flare guns
      #1662414 - 09/07/15 07:56 PM (99.237.103.160)

Flare guns are legal again in the bvi.

http://www.bvibeacon.com/1/index.php/new...now-legal-again

--------------------
Warren
S/V Scuba Doo
Lagoon 450

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
sail2wind
Traveler

Loc: GJ, CO S/V Long Overdue
Re: Flare guns [Re: warren460]
      #1662489 - 09/08/15 12:07 PM (184.166.21.62)

legal again? what a joke. So if you go to USVI, by law, you must have flares.

maytrix
Traveler

Loc: Massachusetts
Re: Flare guns [Re: sail2wind]
      #1662491 - 09/08/15 12:11 PM (71.174.252.30)

I don't think the law was ever truly meant to exclude them. You can have flares without a flare gun though. Boat's weve been on have all had flares, but no gun.

--------------------
Matt

warren460
Traveler

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: Flare guns [Re: maytrix]
      #1662498 - 09/08/15 01:27 PM (108.160.251.86)

Whether it was meant to exclude the flare guns or not, the police had said that they would enforce the no flare gun law which incidentally seems to have had a minimum jail term of 5 years.

--------------------
Warren
S/V Scuba Doo
Lagoon 450

StormJib
Traveler

#1662507 - 09/08/15 02:25 PM (71.224.72.51)

Most of the pistol type marketing junk sold at very low in cost in marine stores may get you past a USCG inspection but offer little help at night calling for help. The altitude is too low, with too little lumens, for way too short of time. If you ever want to call for help you should have a number of SOLAS devices coupled with at least one waterproof handheld VHF.

Flares that work when your life depends on it!

There are also a number of YouTubes on how to convert your cheap flare pistol into a actual handgun. Shoot you flare pistol next New Years or 4th of July then throw it away and get some proper marine signal devices.

maytrix
Traveler

Loc: Massachusetts
      #1662508 - 09/08/15 02:27 PM (71.174.252.30)

Quote:

warren460 said:
Whether it was meant to exclude the flare guns or not, the police had said that they would enforce the no flare gun law which incidentally seems to have had a minimum jail term of 5 years.

Interesting - I hadn't seen that. I imagine it would have been thrown out eventually. Police have no choice but to enforce the law.

--------------------
Matt

sail2wind
Traveler

Re: Flare guns [Re: maytrix]
      #1662524 - 09/08/15 03:22 PM (97.122.180.204)

has anyone been arrested for flare guns? probably not, any private boat owner is required by USCG to carry them. We were inspected last fall and they definitely checked the flares and dates.

StormJib
Traveler

#1662529 - 09/08/15 04:36 PM (71.224.72.51)

Quote:

sail2wind said:
has anyone been arrested for flare guns? probably not, any private boat owner is required by USCG to carry them. We were inspected last fall and they definitely checked the flares and dates.

The USCG requires flares... Not FLARE guns. There are several options for signal devices that do not require the actual(in most cases worthless) flare gun.
The following illustrates the variety and combination of devices which can be carried in order to meet the requirements:

Three hand-held red flares (day and night).

One hand-held red flare and two parachute flares (day and night).

One hand-held orange smoke signal, two floating orange smoke signals (day), and one electric distress light (night only).

All distress signals have distinct advantages and disadvantages. No single device is ideal under all conditions or suitable for all purposes. Pyrotechnics are universally recognized as excellent distress signals. However, there is potential for injury and property damage if not properly handled. These devices produce a very hot flame and the residue can cause burns and ignite flammable materials.

Pistol launched and hand-held parachute flares and meteors have many characteristics of a firearm and must be handled with caution. In some states they are considered a firearm and prohibited from use.

There are a number of places where getting caught with a flare GUN could cause those aboard legal issues. It is best to never have those on a boat. One of these could lead to your arrest on firearm charges...

sail2wind
Traveler

Re: Flare guns [Re: StormJib]
      #1662554 - 09/08/15 06:38 PM (97.122.180.204)

One hand-held orange smoke signal, two floating orange smoke signals (day), and one electric distress light (night only).

none of these were on the USCG's list when we were inspected. The only thing we did not have on board, shame on us, was a sign stating (unless your a moron) there is no discharge of oil and other stupid stuff overboard. They actually waited until we posted it.

StormJib
Traveler

#1662559 - 09/08/15 07:15 PM (71.224.72.51)

You are misreading the cut and paste. For USCG purposed you only need one of the three groupings. The USCG believes and is set up to put an aircraft on top of any vessel in US waters. They want you to be able to mark your position for them day or night. Smoke Day, Flag Day, or USCG flares day or night. So three approved flares and you are good with the USCG. They do not say anything about flares you shoot from a gun. The correct flares in your hand is just fine with the USCG. Once you leave the water protected by the USCG any vessel and crew will be better served with equipment meeting the more robust SOLAS standards. If you want someone to see you or notice you from a distance. You want proper parachute flares that launch out of a single use handheld device. The entire sky lights up for 30 seconds or more. The life of your crew may just depend on it. There are near worthless and can get you jailed in many jurisdictions.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
3 registered and 48 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      TTOLCode is enabled

Topic views: 3786

Jump to

Contact Us Terms of Use Advertising on TTOL Traveltalkonline
A Public Service of TTOL