Traveltalkonline.com Forums

Travel and Vacation Forums >> Nude Resorts, Beaches and Cruises

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | >> (show all)
Eric_HillAdministrator
Administrator

Why are c/o resort failing and what can be done?
      #1664700 - 09/26/15 02:35 PM (72.63.215.95)

As a follow up to the post by Bill_S:

Why do you think c/o and nude resorts are failing. I have my own opinion, but the question needs to be asked. And the ones that are successful, why are they successful and other are not.

Now I know that there are conservative and liberal issues, but let us not make this political in that nature. There are conservative areas that c/o resort are still in operation and profitable and there are liberal areas where they have gone out of business. So let us not go there....

The question is: Why are they failing.... why are they not profitable ... what if anything can we do to help or make a difference?

Regarding pofitability --- any resort has to be profitable, so that has to be a given... if it is not profitable, nude or textile makes no difference, it WILL GO OUT OF BUSINESS!!!

So are we doing something wrong? Can go into a lot there, not that we are, but could we do better, and what is better?

Just questions that I think need to be answered and thought about for the betterment of the c/o nude community.

There are no always times when you just stand by and accept the situation (did not read right, but you get the idea), but what can be done realistically, what can be done otherwise, but then is there cooperation between resorts and the customers??? A whole lot to think about and probably realistically needs to be discussed.

Not that it may or may not be anything, but it also might be more than we know? Smaller things have happened, that is for sure!

--------------------
Eric Hill
TTOL Shop

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
january
Traveler

Re: Why are c/o resort failing and what can be done? [Re: Eric_Hill]
      #1664709 - 09/26/15 03:58 PM (67.185.242.20)

I'm not trying to make this political. About five years or so ago either Time or Newsweek had a cover story on naturism and one of the statistics they found was that conservative Republicans were more likely that Independents or Democrats to be naturists and/or belong to a club. I find that my friends sweep across the political spectrum.

Bill_SModerator

Loc: Southern Maryland suburbs of D...
Re: Why are c/o resort failing and what can be done? [Re: january]
      #1664776 - 09/27/15 11:34 AM (69.138.217.199)

Quote:

january said:
I'm not trying to make this political. About five years or so ago either Time or Newsweek had a cover story on naturism and one of the statistics they found was that conservative Republicans were more likely that Independents or Democrats to be naturists and/or belong to a club. I find that my friends sweep across the political spectrum.

Sweep across the political spectrum is a good term. Only a small percentage of the population (10%?) sit at each end of the spectrum (but they are the most vocal and, being so, get the most media coverage). The remaining 80% are spread across the spectrum in various ways. One example would be someone who is a social liberal and a fiscal conservative...

In any event, this discussion will not turn into a political argument...so says the Moderator.

--------------------
Bill

Carol_HillAdministrator
Administrator

Loc: Central Florida!
Re: Why are c/o resort failing and what can be done? [Re: Bill_S]
      #1664778 - 09/27/15 11:41 AM (68.247.239.225)

Bill--why do you think so many resorts are going away from c/o beaches?? My personal guess is that younger people are not in to c/o and that's where the money is..

psp
Traveler

Re: Why are c/o resort failing and what can be done? [Re: Carol_Hill]
      #1664784 - 09/27/15 12:26 PM (76.93.235.12)

Carol,

We just returned from a 2 week trip to Lake Tahoe. There are several remote nudist beaches there to hike to and enjoy. All ages were represented at these beaches. Young parents with children to teenagers and couples in the 60s and 70s. All enjoying the beautiful scenery al-naturale.

I think it is a money issue. Our last visit to our favorite nudist resort here in So Cal cost us $300+ per night for a basic motel 6 type room. That can add up. If it was less expensive we would probably go more frequently.

Biturbo
Traveler

Loc: Royersford, PA (30m NW of Phil...
      #1664785 - 09/27/15 12:35 PM (71.185.230.35)

I agree that age is a factor. Based on previous comments and questions on here & elsewhere, many 20-somethings seem to be almost terrified of the sight of a bunch of nekkid seniors sitting around. We "of a certain age" realize that people are people, and we tend to be less judgmental. And many c/o resorts are making efforts to promote younger guests and members.

--------------------
"It's a magic kind of medicine, that no doctor could prescribe." JB

Bill_SModerator

Re: Why are c/o resort failing and what can be done? [Re: Biturbo]
      #1664791 - 09/27/15 02:03 PM (69.138.217.199)

Good discussion starting to emerge, keep it going...

I think there may be differences in the way a naturist venue is set up and run which influences its ability to attract new / additional customers. I tend to put these venues into two categories: those that are run as a CLUB and those that are run as a RESORT. I believe those run as resorts thrive better than those run as clubs...

Here are how I see each (and yes, there are exceptions in each case):

Those run as a CLUB often:
- allow only three initial "visits" and then require purchase of an annual membership with a significant fee.
- may require a committee of current members to approve the newcomers after the three initial visits.
- may require nudity at all times when on the property... and everywhere on the property.
- may have a small number of older members who consider themselves the "nude police" and loudly call out anyone who is not "nude enough".
- may admit "couples only" ... even in some cases not allow a member to be on site without their partner.
- may further define couples as one man and one woman.

Those run as a RESORT often:
- allow unlimited visits (at a somewhat higher daily fee) for those not choosing to become members.
- offer nice lodging and dining options for all at a money-making price.
- provide full members who pay annual dues attractive discounts on lodging and charge them zero day fees.
- are CLOTHING OPTIONAL to attract (and keep) newcomers and couples where one partner is more comfortable wearing some level of clothing, requiring full nudity only in the pools and hot tubs.
- have a membership which is friendly and welcoming and not divided into cliques that ignore newcomers.
- typically have regular dances and other events to attract a wider range of visitors.

The three resorts I mentioned above fully embody these later characteristics.

More discussion, please.

--------------------
Bill

Bill_SModerator

#1664794 - 09/27/15 03:42 PM (69.138.217.199)

Quote:

Carol_Hill said:
Bill--why do you think so many resorts are going away from c/o beaches?? My personal guess is that younger people are not in to c/o and that's where the money is..

Hi Carol,

The only beach c/o resort we have ever been to is Club Orient and it is going strong so I do not have much experience in this area.

On the broader question, however, we do...

We did not get interested in naturest resorts until we had been married for 20 years and the kids were teens that could be left with Grandma while we took the cruise we had been talking about for that 20 years but never had.

Our last port of call was SXM and we wound up at Club Orient. The rest us history!

I think a lot of couples wait until the kids are old enough to leave with Grandparents for a week before resuming "couples vacations" in addition to "family vacations" with the kids.

So starting to go to nude resorts often occurs in middle age.

On the other hand we are seeing a lot of new couples and singles in their late 20s and 30s coming to Avalon these days, so there is a beginning surge in younger naturists..l

--------------------
Bill

Bare
Traveler

Loc: In the woods.
Re: Why are c/o resort failing and what can be done? [Re: psp]
      #1664820 - 09/27/15 11:15 PM (206.53.75.4)

I agree it is a money issue, but not in the way you suggest. As a former "owner" of a rustic CO seasonal venture, just as Eric accurately pointed out, if its not profitable it will not stay in business. Unfortunately, Nudists represent some very small percent of the entire population (you pick your own number)- certainly MUCH less than the general population that attends a clothed venue of some sort. This by logic and operation makes nudists venues compete (i.e. fill up their space) with a very limited available population while the clothed venues market to the much larger population. In other words, nude anything is at a premium and to survive must charge more to make up for the shortage of numbers.
Unfortunately, Nudists (many) tend to be cheap, always looking for rock bottom prices and 4 star facilities - guess what folks, that doesn't work, which is why many nudists facilities which you used to enjoy change to clothing venues or simply close. That trend will continue to follow that pattern until we as a population also change. Does anybody think Caliente WANTED to change to their present venue? They had basically very limited choices, go clothing, close or fill the place up with the wild side party people who do not mind SUPPORTING AND SPENDING money on venues they enjoy. Not easy choices but closing was not ever an option that they were willing to entertain - and I don't blame them. While their choice is certainly not for many (most) of us, they have survived where many others have not. And BTW, their demographics is probably 25 years younger than the former Caliente clients and or Como and or Paradise etc. etc. etc.
Lastly, how many of you (us) would pay a serious premium (40-60%)to support our local (or any) nudist venue EVEN if we knew it was in danger and may have to close? The answer to that question will most probably tell us what the immediate future of CO venues will likely be.
Great topic Eric, TY

Edited by Bare (09/27/15 11:29 PM)

markis
Traveler

Loc: ohio
Re: Why are c/o resort failing and what can be done? [Re: Bare]
      #1664825 - 09/28/15 04:50 AM (24.93.106.2)

This is a good topic, and being so new to nude travel I have very little to offer. I would like to know if the prevalence of cell phones, social media, and being open to having your photo posted on the internet for all to see virtually instantly might be having some effect on nude beaches/resorts. Thoughts?

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      TTOLCode is enabled

Topic views: 12574

Jump to

Contact Us Terms of Use Advertising on TTOL Traveltalkonline