Traveltalkonline.com Forums

Travel and Vacation Forums >> British Virgin Islands

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
marianneg
Traveler

Loc: Philadelphia
Dream Yacht Charters "Breva"
      #1717615 - 01/02/17 08:03 PM (71.185.171.62)

We are ready to submit a deposit on a 40 foot catamaran called "Breva" in the DreamYacht Charter fleet at Hodges Creek. Our last rental out of Hodges was through the Catamaran Company and chase boat service for two major repairs was dismal. Any feedback on Dream Yacht Charter's service or this particular catamaran? We'll be sailing 3/23-4/1. Will probably come in to STT on Friday, ferry over and stay at Maria's by the Sea, and on Saturday we'll rent a car or taxi to provision and get ourselves over to Hodges. The boat is rented out the prior week, so unfortunately, a sleep-aboard isn't possible. Thanks for any help and advice!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
warren460
Traveler

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: Dream Yacht Charters "Breva" [Re: marianneg]
      #1717616 - 01/02/17 08:13 PM (174.115.232.136)

Why not check out TMM. I was on Orion last November. Great boat. Great chase service. You can book direct with Mark and get owners rates.

--------------------
Warren
S/V Scuba Doo
Lagoon 450

Deepcut
Traveler

Loc: Georgia & South Carolina
Re: Dream Yacht Charters "Breva" [Re: warren460]
      #1717618 - 01/02/17 09:00 PM (71.12.156.163)

How old was your last boat? What type repairs needed?

I second TMM.

S/V Sea Tiger (Lagoon 42... but booked those dates).

--------------------
Wes
s/v Sea Tiger (Lagoon 42)

marianneg
Traveler

Re: Dream Yacht Charters "Breva" [Re: Deepcut]
      #1717621 - 01/02/17 09:21 PM (71.185.171.62)

The cat was about 5 years old. We had noticed some steering issues, and when diving at our first stop, The Caves, we saw that one of the propellers was missing. Waited until the following afternoon for a dive team and repairs. Two days later we couldn't raise the anchor at Monkey Point- windless was broken. Dragged to shallow water, hauled it in by hand, motored to Great Harbour (as instructed) to meet the chase boat ...... that never came. Stuck there until the following afternoon when the repairman finally came. Mind you, one of our captains has been a sailor virtually since birth (raised on the Cape and the Maine Coast), is pretty good at repairs and is an engineer by training. We described the problem accurately so they knew what kind of equipment, tools, and repairmen they would need. They just didn't come when they said they would. And had they just been honest about when they would be there, we could have planned accordingly rather than sitting with the boat all day.

And thanks - I checked out TMM. It looks like there are several 3 and 4 bedroom cats available for 3/23-4/1. What harbor are they moored in? And do you know who I should contact to qualify for owner's rates? We are seriously interested!

Edited by marianneg (01/02/17 09:46 PM)

Deepcut
Traveler

Loc: Georgia & South Carolina
      #1717623 - 01/02/17 09:49 PM (71.12.156.163)

1) looks like poor prep of boat prior to dispatching it
2) EXTREMELY poor chase boat (I can understand not able to fix problem with chase boat, but they should be able to tell you within a few minutes of expected arrival time of the chase boat.

TMM is located just inside Road Harbor. About a 2 minute taxi ride from the ferry.

Not all owners do direct booking of charters.

--------------------
Wes
s/v Sea Tiger (Lagoon 42)

jbuch02
Traveler

#1717625 - 01/02/17 10:15 PM (50.167.63.140)

Chartered an Oceanis 41, Nautilust, from Dream Yacht Charters (DYC) via a direct booking with the owner last year (2015). DYC is a world wide operation with bases in the Caribbean and in Europe. The owner of Nautilust, whom we chartered directly with, picked DYC to manage their boat because of their reputation for great management of their fleets and favorable charter contract terms.

Nautilust was a new boat (about 8 months old when we chartered her). The boat was very well prepped, base support was excellent and that we did an owner charter made no difference whatsoever in how we were treated. We had a battery charging problem on the second day and being not far from Hodges Creek, we brought the boat back there and got prompt and technically sound evaluation. Turned out that the batteries were fine; the boat was equipped with an undersized alternator so, we just adjusted our charging times and everything was fine. We alerted the owner and he subsequently changed the alternator from the stock one that was standard issue.

Can't compare TMM but it's very well regarded here. I had no problems with DYC and it is a very nice and well maintained facility overall (there are two other charter companies within Hodges Creek).

I will say this: For an 8 month old boat, there were things that, had this been my boat, I would have pressed DYC to be more attentive to. Little things - a few bent latches on supposedly water tight hatches and too much corrosion appearing on shroud turnbuckles, around the mast step and elsewhere. This kind of stuff is preventable with thorough fresh water wash downs after use and application of proper lubricants. Don't think these comments have anything to do with your questions. I'd recommend DYC for your charter purposes if you like the boat and the price is right.

StormJib
Traveler

#1717627 - 01/02/17 10:22 PM (50.191.95.8)

My experience unless the chase boat is already out or near ready to leave for another boat in your area. You will not see the chase boat until the next day. The reality on the dock is there is no crew and hoard of spares just sitting like fireman back at the base ready to run to your fix. The call for a chase boat goes into the que with everything else. In most cases the charter guests at the base dock will be cared for first and sent on their charter before the chase boat crew is free to come out and work your issue.

Unless you are talking to a leader on the dock via a cell telephone. You are likely just getting lip service from a the desk staff that is not in loop of the work orders at hand. I would also not expect anyone at the base to tell you to operate a boat you called in and reported unsafe. So the message back is sit there; we will send someone out.

With four decades of chartering. I would never plan my day around a chase boat. Just communicate to the dock and operations manager where the boat will be and how they can get into it or go back to the dock when the time is good for you. If any of this is important to you. Get the cell number from the person running the dock before you leave.

Once you detail a problem. The parts must be found, the tools must be found, a multi person crew must be freed up with a chase boat to travel to you, complete the repair, and then return to the base before end of the work day. That is much more complicated in reality that any brochure produced by a marketing team in a windowless conference room.

If a sleep aboard is not possible? That means the turnaround is really pressed with great chance the issues from the last trip and maybe many trips before will not be addressed. We will not take a boat we cannot sleep on and inspect the night before and morning of giving us and the crew all day to address any issues. Rushing away from the dock or rental boat turnarounds never ends well.

Edited by StormJib (01/02/17 10:53 PM)

jbuch02
Traveler

Re: Dream Yacht Charters "Breva" [Re: StormJib]
      #1717628 - 01/02/17 10:30 PM (50.167.63.140)

Great input, StormJib.

We too will not take a boat on a quick turnaround for the the exact reasons you state.

I cannot overstate the importance of getting the direct cell number of the person running the dock side operation. Our guy, whom we had his direct cell number and instructions to call any time day or night with problems, picked up immediately when we phoned about what we thought was a battery problem. We told him our intent, called when we hit the outer channel marker and was directed straight away to a slip where he boarded the boat immediately to trouble shoot. We went to the bar. 2h later we were back on the water.

marianneg
Traveler

Re: Dream Yacht Charters "Breva" [Re: jbuch02]
      #1717629 - 01/02/17 10:43 PM (71.185.171.62)

Good advice. I completely agree w/the sleep aboard caution. In fact, its one of the big red flags I see about the boat we are considering for charter - we can't sleep aboard and there is no way that the dock staff can check out, clean, inspect, repair, test, and turnover a boat in a busy Saturday morning.

warren460
Traveler

Loc: Ontario, Canada
      #1717631 - 01/02/17 11:27 PM (174.115.232.136)

When we chartered Orion last November, we needed a water pump impeller change on the generator. we called the TMM base at 8am. The chase boat arrived at cooper island at 10:15am same day and we were on our way by 11am. The chase boat was not already out. I have toured TMM spare parts room and can vouch that they are extensive. The suggestion re poor support may apply to some charter companies. My experience with TMM support was very positive.

--------------------
Warren
S/V Scuba Doo
Lagoon 450

Edited by warren460 (01/02/17 11:38 PM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
4 registered and 29 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      TTOLCode is enabled

Topic views: 4433

Jump to

Contact Us Terms of Use Advertising on TTOL Traveltalkonline
A Public Service of TTOL