Traveltalkonline.com Forums

Travel and Vacation Forums >> St. Maarten - St. Martin

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | >> (show all)
AdministratorAdministrator
Administrator

Re: Enough Doom and Gloom - Remember the Good Old Days [Re: pat]
      #1737423 - 07/05/17 11:48 AM (47.192.6.191)

Anyone have some new "old" memories to share?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
The_Lurker
Traveler

Loc: Connecticut
Re: Enough Doom and Gloom - Remember the Good Old Days [Re: Administrator]
      #1737467 - 07/05/17 12:31 PM (24.44.41.166)

So many good memories!
Staying at Treasure Island and Cupecoy Beach club and walking down to Mullet Beach---we were young.

The nights in Marigot for dinner and festivities! We had our favorites there and spent so much time talking with the owners of those restaurants and stores.

We have found many new places to stay, eat, swim and have met so many wonderful people!

There are always going to be the changes, but there will be the new things to discovery and enjoy.

Our last for quite a few years has been Beachside Villas!!!

foreversxm
Traveler

Re: Enough Doom and Gloom - Remember the Good Old Days [Re: The_Lurker]
      #1737471 - 07/05/17 12:55 PM (209.44.132.182)

Back in the 90's the first thing we would do after getting off the plane is head for Mary's Boon to get on the list for dinner. It always filled up fast and they had a family style dinner different entrée each night...every night was great and fun. Honor Bar mixed your own drinks. They don't do that any more but still among my fav spots on SXM.

pat
Traveler

Loc: Brookfield, CT.
Re: Enough Doom and Gloom - Remember the Good Old Days [Re: Administrator]
      #1737498 - 07/05/17 01:20 PM (75.133.113.202)

We have so many SXM memories.......I could go on and on (as I so often do.......!)

Along with all the other memories I've posted in this thread early on, in the evenings after dinner we used to enjoy leaving the unit where we stayed at Mullet Resort and walking the golf course, being mindful of the sprinkling system - and yes, they did have one back then - down to the beach at Mullet and perhaps taking a dip. Some nights we'd walk out to Maho Beach. This was before the Towers or Royal Islander was built and there was no Maho village or Cheri's and only the earliest stages of what is now the Sonesta Resort. There was no Boat Bar or Sunset Beach Bar at the other end of the beach. The original Caravanserai Resort - the one before all the different timeshare ventures came into being - was the only place I recall on other end of the beach before it became residential. It was a one and a half lane undivided road at that time and there were probably more walkers than cars.

We would walk out and at about the point where the Boat Bar is today we'd sit in the sand and watch the last late landing plane come in over Maho Beach. On a good night we could spot the plane well out over the ocean and as it came closer, it's lights would become visible to us and shine on the waves and cause them to shimmer in the glow.

As the plane finally soared overhead it almost felt as if it was pulling the surf up to the road. There was virtually NOTHING in this area at the time and it was clearly a favorite parking spot for island couples who I guess also enjoyed watching the late plane arrive.

--------------------
Respectfully,

pat

"Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat
them."

pat
Traveler

Re: Enough Doom and Gloom - Remember the Good Old Days [Re: foreversxm]
      #1737506 - 07/05/17 01:28 PM (75.133.113.202)

And the waitstaff at the Boon dressed in those pretty plaid dresses......we used to enjoy the fixed menu and would usually try to go the evenings they served the veal dijonaise medallions. After cocktails in the self-serve bar, they would announce dinner and just start serving. The amazing part to me was they always came around with offerings of seconds and thirds if you could manage them. And the warm apple pie ala mode as dessert? Oh, the memories!!

--------------------
Respectfully,

pat

them."

bigbobthib
Traveler

Loc: Conway, SC 29526
      #1737539 - 07/05/17 01:47 PM (71.68.212.89)

French Baggett Toast at Turtle Pier!

DavidinChelseaMA
Traveler

Re: Enough Doom and Gloom - Remember the Good Old Days [Re: Carol_Hill]
      #1737546 - 07/05/17 02:14 PM (24.34.189.240)

So, we've been coming to SXM since 2011, with a timeshare at LaPlage in Maho Bay. Sounds like we missed ALOT!!!! But what we like about the island in the six years we've been coming here is: long beach days at Orient Beach, and Club O in particular; Pinel; day trips to Anguilla; Maho village; Sunset Bar & Grill (even now with its touristy renovations !!!); shopping in Marigot; the Green Monkey bar; Cupecoy Beach(or what's left of it, anyway !!!); Happy Bay; and most of all, the people on the island, who have all been so friendly. And the staff at LaPlage's front desk have always been very efficient and professional. I can only imagine what it's like to hear the same questions over and over from people who walk up to that desk, including myself, over the years. The LaPlage staff take it all in stride and do a superb job.

pat
Traveler

Re: Enough Doom and Gloom - Remember the Good Old Days [Re: bigbobthib]
      #1737585 - 07/05/17 03:23 PM (75.133.113.202)

Certainly a different setting from Turtle Pier in its day, but equally nice IMO, is Tortuga at the Royal Islander and I'm almost positive I've had baguette style French toast there with Mimosas to wash it down.

--------------------
Respectfully,

pat

them."

Bobben
Traveler

#1737616 - 07/05/17 04:07 PM (24.55.145.128)

Loved the Café Julianna at the old airport- especially the seafood lasagna and the coupe Denmark desert

gpaulh
Traveler

Loc: CT
Re: Enough Doom and Gloom - Remember the Good Old Days [Re: Bobben]
      #1737629 - 07/05/17 07:32 PM (68.14.48.108)

Turtle steak at Bistro Nu

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | >> (show all)

Extra information
18 registered and 118 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      TTOLCode is enabled

Topic views: 11238

Jump to

Contact Us Terms of Use Advertising on TTOL Traveltalkonline