Traveltalkonline.com Forums

Travel and Vacation Forums >> St. Maarten - St. Martin

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | >> (show all)
CathyandDanny
Traveler

Loc: Western North Carolina
Tipping - Dutch Side
      #1734391 - 06/02/17 10:35 PM (200.7.45.94)

We went a restaurant tonight that charged a 15% service charge. On the bill, there was an additional recommended 15% tip. Is the tip not the same as the service charge? We had excellent service so would you add 5% (to make it 20%) or 15% to the total?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ruralcarrierModerator

Loc: Ohio
Re: Tipping - Dutch Side [Re: CathyandDanny]
      #1734392 - 06/02/17 10:54 PM (24.209.195.61)

Quote:

CathyandDanny said:
We went a restaurant tonight that charged a 15% service charge. On the bill, there was an additional recommended 15% tip. Is the tip not the same as the service charge? We had excellent service so would you add 5% (to make it 20%) or 15% to the total?

They can recommend any amount they want but if 15% is included, nothing to 5% (or whatever you are comfortable with) is fine.

--------------------
J.D.

badbenni
Traveler

Re: Tipping - Dutch Side [Re: CathyandDanny]
      #1734396 - 06/03/17 12:08 AM (66.189.113.212)

Cathy -----The 15% is a TIP not Service charge. Many restaurants started adding the 15% because some travelers either left nothing or very little as to tips. I make it a practice to add to the 15% based on the quality of service rendered by the server. I add between 5-15% additional if the service is good to excellent.
Unfortunately it has become necessary for restaurants to add the 15% to their checks due to the patrons that do not tip at all or very little when none is added to their check.

Edited by badbenni (06/03/17 12:13 AM)

ruralcarrierModerator

Re: Tipping - Dutch Side [Re: badbenni]
      #1734399 - 06/03/17 07:35 AM (24.209.195.61)

Don't forget, some servers/places will also imply of the 15% added on, a portion is the turn-over-tax, the owner gets some or all (not all goes to the staff) and a myriad of other excuses as to why it is not enough.

--------------------
J.D.

pat
Traveler

Loc: Brookfield, CT.
Re: Tipping - Dutch Side [Re: ruralcarrier]
      #1734429 - 06/03/17 12:19 PM (75.133.113.202)

To be totally honest, I am sick to death with regard to the constant tipping scam often perpetrated on island visitors on both sides of the island, and the following is just my personal take on the whole issue. I'm not asking for people to agree or disagree but this is my honest opinion.

Tipping should be a choice issue and not mandated by anyone and should be freely given for reasonable service or happily given for great service. And it should be at the discretion of the diner, and NOT dictated by the restaurants or the restaurant owners.

I can't tell you how many times I've been given merely adequate service in places that used to be top shelf since this new form of dining ransom has overtaken the Dutch side of the island, and there has been at least one occasion I would not have tipped at all because the service was so poor. And don't even get me started with regard to the French side. My mantra is now "Don't ask, don't tell" when dining there.

I know this isn't a popular position to take but I don't feel personally responsible for paying the restaurants' taxes, which really should be built into the line item prices on the menu; nor do I feel I should be forced to tip for poor service.

I guess I'm getting old and crotchety but the truth is, I have no issue with a twenty percent plus tip for good service but I strongly resent being forced to tip for less than okay.

--------------------
Respectfully,

pat

"Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat
them."

sasasal
Traveler

Re: Tipping - Dutch Side [Re: pat]
      #1734433 - 06/03/17 01:03 PM (24.102.161.71)

I have to agree. This is not at all mandatory... A tip is when you were so pleased with service and wanted to give the waiter or waitress something extra. My opinion is!!! Service charge??? that is the tip... they can phrase it anyway they like, but added money to the bill for service is just that. And there have been more time than not, that we got horrible service. This issue seems to only bother americans. I could be wrong, but any tipping is not a have to do thing.... If your eating out a lot for a long period of time, this could become a huge burden.. But that's my opinion. Service added is just that...

Carol_HillAdministrator
Administrator

Loc: Central Florida!
Re: Tipping - Dutch Sidey [Re: pat]
      #1734434 - 06/03/17 01:15 PM (205.197.242.168)

pat--I am old and crotchety as well, and I totally agree with what you say. If we like the service or if it's even somewhat reasonable, we tip 20% or more. If they add 15% automatically, I tip zero extra. What I really object to is that many tourists don't expect to see an automatic tip, and so, having had a cocktail or two, often don't even see that the 15% has been added. If there's not a statement on the menu regarding the auto tip, I think it could be construed as an intent to deceive the customer..

boucharda
Traveler

Loc: Massachusetts
Re: Tipping - Dutch Sidey [Re: Carol_Hill]
      #1734435 - 06/03/17 01:42 PM (24.60.205.149)

Quote:

If we like the service or if it's even somewhat reasonable, we tip 20% or more. If they add 15% automatically, I tip zero extra.

Exactly what I was just going to post

ruralcarrierModerator

#1734436 - 06/03/17 02:01 PM (24.209.195.61)

While not old and crotchety like you and Carol, and as always, very well stated and I think many will agree and I am one that will.

I think some of the added service charge on the Dutch side is a result of Europeans dining there and not tipping as they expect it to be built into the menu price.

--------------------
J.D.

LBI2SXM
Traveler

#1734437 - 06/03/17 02:07 PM (73.112.165.173)

Right on Pat!! The new thing now in the States is a lot of restaurants are doing "No Tipping". They are including the tips in their prices and paying the staff more money. Makes sense, why don't they all do it that way??? Americans are so self conscious when it comes to tipping, especially in SXM.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | >> (show all)

Extra information
14 registered and 65 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      TTOLCode is enabled

Topic views: 4938

Jump to

Contact Us Terms of Use Advertising on TTOL Traveltalkonline