Traveltalkonline.com Forums

Travel and Vacation Forums >> St. Maarten - St. Martin

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | >> (show all)
CaribLee
Traveler

Re: Someone died? [Re: shieneehead]
      #1738449 - 07/13/17 08:21 AM (200.7.41.126)

We passed that area at around 6:15 last night. Saw flashing police lights and many people standing in the road at the end of the runway. We also passed an ambulance and emergency vehicles as we headed towards Simpson Bay. There was a very significant emergency response. We wondered if it was jet blast related or whether someone had been struck by a car. So sad to hear it ended in a fatality.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Bobcat
Traveler

Loc: Staten Island
Re: Someone died? [Re: weeks5051]
      #1738452 - 07/13/17 08:25 AM (100.38.184.167)

Quote:

weeks5051 said:
Quote:

boucharda said:
After managing an Emergency Department for MANY years I realized there can only be so much done to protect people from themselves.

Tragic event and different but similar situations occur every day everywhere

Very True. Yearly on average in the U.S. there are 20 deaths from skydiving, 90 deaths worldwide from scuba diving, and over 700 cycling deaths in the U.S. Should we try to stop people from doing these dangerous activities too?

Apples and oranges - while dangerous these activities in the hands of those trained and experienced reduce the risks - standing at the fence at Maho is simply dangerous and foolish and requires no special skill - observing the warning signs seems easy enough to me.

--------------------

boucharda
Traveler

Loc: Massachusetts
Re: Someone died? [Re: Bobcat]
      #1738454 - 07/13/17 09:18 AM (24.147.127.229)

Quote:

observing the warning signs seems easy enough to me

Yup...

Look at something as simple as wearing seat belts. You can make it a law, you can put buzzers/verbal reminders in cars and place flashing signs on the highway but most everyday (yesterday in RI) there are stories about people who just decide to make the informed decision not to wear them and perish because of their decision.

SXMScubaman
Traveler

Loc: Auburn, WA
Re: Someone died? [Re: shieneehead]
      #1738463 - 07/13/17 10:34 AM (24.22.151.53)

Another article.
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/woman-dies-after-jet-engine-air-blast/ar-BBEkmRB?li=BBnb4R7

LBI2SXM
Traveler

Re: Someone died? [Re: SXMScubaman]
      #1738474 - 07/13/17 12:27 PM (73.112.165.173)

It stated in the paper that the area is patrolled by the police. In all of the times I have been there I never saw a patrol car and police warnings. Maybe there should be more patrols and give out heavy fines for hanging on the fence, it may save another life. For some reason, people ignore the sign and do it anyway. I am surprised the woman was in her late fifties. I would expect this of teenagers who have no fear, not an older lady. May she RIP.

Bob_Dot
Traveler

Loc: North Kingstown, Rhode Island
Re: Someone died? [Re: LBI2SXM]
      #1738482 - 07/13/17 01:03 PM (24.250.61.63)

If they put up a solid deflector type barrier that would angle the blast upward there would be no fence hanging, no tourists, no taxis, no traffic jams late in the afternoon because people on cruise ships would be elsewhere.

Carol_HillAdministrator
Administrator

Loc: Central Florida!
Re: Someone died?/Maho Jet Blast [Re: blackmercedes]
      #1738483 - 07/13/17 01:11 PM (47.192.14.99)

So sad for this lady's family that this happened. Even if a person doesn't try to 'ride the fence', we see REALLY stupid behavior there all the time. People literally stand in the road, walk in the road, walk on the concrete barriers, right in front of cars going past, and they are usually half lit. It makes me very nervous to drive down through there when there are a lot of people there, afraid that someone will fall right in front of our car and we will run them down. People seem to have no good sense about them.

SXMDeepBleu
Traveler

#1738484 - 07/13/17 01:23 PM (47.157.93.134)

If most people would think about it (but they don't) The health effects are not good at all from inhaling mass amounts of Jet-A exhaust. I posted a similar post on this years ago on this subject and it was removed for some reason. But It's fact...
Sure there are a lot of activities that can be risky and dangerous and you can die from instantly, but usually those things or activities do not include inhaling toxic chemicals.
So why expose yourself to this especially when most complain about health issues when someone who is smoking too close to you in a normal setting like a restaurant?

Between respiratory and DNA altering issues, Bone and Marrow altering, breathing heavy chemical particulate matter, heavier toxins such as benzene during the heating or burning of Diesel Jet Fuel Increase or almost double in some instances during its exhaust phase. I have met people that have gone almost every day of their trip because of the excitement of something we are not allowed to do at home, for many reasons. My OSHA training spent an hour on this explanation and short term or long term wasn't an issue as opposed to all of the risks associated to this activity. I guess you could call the cruise ship bus tours to that beach "The Black Lung Express"

Have I done it myself? Of course I have many times before I truly realized of what can come about from it.

Take a look:

http://www.steadyhealth.com/articles/the...sues?show_all=1

Carol_HillAdministrator
Administrator

Loc: Central Florida!
Re: Someone died? [Re: SXMDeepBleu]
      #1738485 - 07/13/17 01:39 PM (47.192.14.99)

Totally off-topic to this subject, as a quote from that article shows:

"If you are a frequent flier for business or pleasure, should you be worried about jet fuel exposure? People who are exposed to jet fuel vapors only occasionally typically have a chance to recover between flights. For them, problems from jet fuel are likely to be minimal. But if you work at the airport, especially if you work in close proximity to planes, or you live under a flight path, the toxic effects of jet fuel pollution should be a concern for you. Here are seven facts airfield and airport workers and people who live close (within 1 mile/2 km) of airports need to know...."

Edited by Carol_Hill (07/13/17 01:40 PM)

SXMbeacher
Traveler

Loc: Maine
      #1738487 - 07/13/17 01:45 PM (76.178.251.99)

I have been there when patrols have come by and drove fence people away. I have also seen them come by and flip there lights on via the beach cam. But as soon as they are gone, people go right back to the fence. Condolences to the family that lost their loved one. RIP.

--------------------
Life's a beach!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | >> (show all)

Extra information
11 registered and 53 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      TTOLCode is enabled

Topic views: 9643

Jump to

Contact Us Terms of Use Advertising on TTOL Traveltalkonline