Traveltalkonline.com Forums

Travel and Vacation Forums >> St. Maarten - St. Martin

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | >> (show all)
sasasal
Traveler

Re: Someone died? [Re: blackmercedes]
      #1738562 - 07/14/17 08:06 AM (24.102.161.71)

Just saw this on one of the news channel, and it was on facebook as well... Guess this is a big thing... Can not imagine a woman of her age being that careless. I would understand younger people that are thrill seakers... Gezzz. have sat on that beach and automatically ducked when the planes came over head, but would never go near that fence... They do not have to do a thing, there is a huge warning of danger, but there will be stupid people... Feel bad for her family... Sad

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ruralcarrierModerator

Loc: Ohio
Re: Someone died? [Re: sasasal]
      #1738563 - 07/14/17 08:09 AM (24.209.195.61)

The beach was basically unknown until the advent of the internet and then social media. With YouTube videos the location has become wildly popular. Where else in the would can you be that close to a live runway with big jets coming and going? Media thrives on stuff like this.

No idea why someone of any age would do what many do but throw in a little alcohol and age and common sense are no longer relevant.

--------------------
J.D.

wabid
Traveler

Re: Someone died? [Re: ruralcarrier]
      #1738565 - 07/14/17 08:49 AM (76.255.26.117)

The whole situation defies logic and this outcome is a horrific result. I visited the sunset bar when we first visited the island years ago. (Been there, done that moment) It was a slow day, however there were a handful of people who were holding onto the fence. My jaw dropped on the dangers. Exhaust, FOD on the runway, and the risk of being blown across a road. We can beat this one to death, but its is dangerous on so many levels. Because it was a slow day, I started chatting up with one of SBB managers. I asked if anyone had been killed and he said no..."a couple broken bones..but no deaths... He also just rolled his eyes at the idiots riding the fence. I was shocked no one had been killed over the years...

Clearly this activity needs to be discouraged. Instead of building more barriers and infrastructure that may or may not work, how about just making the fence off limits and anyone caught touching it or is caught loitering on the road subject to a hefty fine? Say $500. I am just spitballing here but its seems if you actual create a hard consequence for a potentially dumb action you will discourage more, not all, from doing something stupid.

--------------------
Do what you can/ With what you have. Where you are. - T. Roosevelt

Edited by wabid (07/14/17 08:51 AM)

Bobcat
Traveler

Loc: Staten Island
Re: Someone died? [Re: ruralcarrier]
      #1738566 - 07/14/17 08:51 AM (100.38.184.167)

J.D. We have always kept our distance from the area, the danger of the blast itself, the debris, the dust, and the fumes all pose health risks not to mention the aircraft itself.

--------------------

Speebs
Traveler

Re: Someone died? [Re: LBI2SXM]
      #1738567 - 07/14/17 08:51 AM (63.66.64.246)

Toxic compounds formed by Oxidation or burning of benzene in jet engine?
Benzene + oxygen goes to carbon dioxide and water vapor.
C6H6 + (15/2)O2 ----> 6CO2 + 3H2O
Never realized that carbon dioxide and water vapor were toxic chemicals. From an environmental chemist.

sasasal
Traveler

Re: Someone died? [Re: wabid]
      #1738568 - 07/14/17 09:24 AM (24.102.161.71)

there will always be thrill seekers. And mix alcohol to the issue? That beach is right next to sunset bar. But even if there was no alcohol, there are those that like to defy risks... Again, I know kids have little fear, but this was not a kid. As we mature we gather more reality and fear. that's a good thing... This woman is dead, If she had just gotten badly hurt, she would have thought twice about ever trying that again. She did not get the second chance...

Carol_HillAdministrator
Administrator

Loc: Central Florida!
Re: Someone died? [Re: wabid]
      #1738569 - 07/14/17 09:33 AM (47.192.5.2)

The planes are a HUGE tourist attraction and fining people would just give the island more bad publicity. And St. Maarten cops have a whole lot of things they need to do to address crime and do not have the money or resources to devote to such an operation. I think that a jet blast wall would make landing more difficult and dangerous for the airplanes, and that is obviously not something that would be a good thing. I suppose that one could make it so that there is no space to stand beside the road. That would at least be a start, I guess. Although of course more people would then just walk in the road, which is already very dangerous. I see many people, especially locals, walk by the end of the runway there all the time. At least part of the reason is because they don't want to walk in the sand on the other side. What would be nice is if there were a paved walkway on the side of the road, so that people could walk over there, out of the road but not on the sand. However, since the sand comes and goes so much there, not sure how practical that would be either. It's a conundrum. I have no more knowledge than anyone here, but I suspect the only thing they could do is to try to eliminate any space between the fence and the road in the hopes of preventing people from walking or standing there. I don't know how you do that though.

Carol_HillAdministrator
Administrator

Loc: Central Florida!
Re: Someone died?/Maho Jet Blast [Re: blackmercedes]
      #1738571 - 07/14/17 09:38 AM (47.192.5.2)

Daily Herald editorial says that police pass by there, but I've never seen any.

Kennys
Sponsor

Re: Someone died?/Maho Jet Blast [Re: Carol_Hill]
      #1738583 - 07/14/17 11:07 AM (131.161.86.191)

The Police and the Customs agents always pass there everyday.
Plus we call them to come and tow away badly parked cars. The Tow Trunk Guy from the Airport does the towing. $ 75.00 per towed car.

wabid
Traveler

Re: Someone died? [Re: Carol_Hill]
      #1738586 - 07/14/17 11:17 AM (12.180.228.88)

Quote:

Carol_Hill said:
The planes are a HUGE tourist attraction and fining people would just give the island more bad publicity. And St. Maarten cops have a whole lot of things they need to do to address crime and do not have the money or resources to devote to such an operation. I think that a jet blast wall would make landing more difficult and dangerous for the airplanes, and that is obviously not something that would be a good thing. I suppose that one could make it so that there is no space to stand beside the road. That would at least be a start, I guess. Although of course more people would then just walk in the road, which is already very dangerous. I see many people, especially locals, walk by the end of the runway there all the time. At least part of the reason is because they don't want to walk in the sand on the other side. What would be nice is if there were a paved walkway on the side of the road, so that people could walk over there, out of the road but not on the sand. However, since the sand comes and goes so much there, not sure how practical that would be either. It's a conundrum. I have no more knowledge than anyone here, but I suspect the only thing they could do is to try to eliminate any space between the fence and the road in the hopes of preventing people from walking or standing there. I don't know how you do that though.

I agree. You can't eliminate the attraction, perhaps make it a more positive experience? ("Stand here, here and here, don't ever stand here") The Fine is just an idea, and perhaps completely unenforceable, given other priorities.

Unfortunately its easy for me to witness the potential danger and sit back at my keyboard come up with arm chair solutions.

Its sad, tragic, and thoroughly avoidable. I hope the authorities and the islands tourism leaders find a way to solve the problem.

--------------------
Do what you can/ With what you have. Where you are. - T. Roosevelt

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | >> (show all)

Extra information
6 registered and 78 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      TTOLCode is enabled

Topic views: 9645

Jump to

Contact Us Terms of Use Advertising on TTOL Traveltalkonline