Traveltalkonline.com Forums

Travel and Vacation Forums >> St. Maarten - St. Martin

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | >> (show all)
IslandLover74
Traveler

Re: American Airlines [Re: Cathyg]
      #1745085 - 09/11/17 05:01 PM (12.188.252.66)

I called AA on Saturday to cancel our 11/24 trip. I was told there would be a $200 pp charge on our first class tickets. After pre-emptively apologizing to the nice girl on the phone, I explained...in creative terminology...what has happened to St. Martin and to the condo in Orient Village. I said if this was a waiting game, I will wait for them to cancel so I don't take a $400 hit. She ended up cancelling my trip without my authorization, and accessed the penalty. I noticed this immediately, called back and spoke with a poor guy who ended up giving me a full refund. Moral of the story, keep trying!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
foreversxm
Traveler

#1745086 - 09/11/17 05:04 PM (209.44.132.182)

We went to SXM 4 months after Cat 5 Luis in 1995 which also "destroyed" the island and had a great time. Same Sun same great beaches and many places reopen fairly fast. I would think the airlines will work with people but April seems a very long way away to expect a refund. Once they get moving things we start to get better day by day. It will take a long time but I have no doubt its still a lot better than minus -5. I have contacts on the Island and while it is very bad they also say lots of not true rumors or just fake news. Time will tell, we need to support them now more than ever.

Biturbo
Traveler

Loc: Royersford, PA (30m NW of Phil...
Re: American Airlines [Re: molldoll]
      #1745094 - 09/11/17 05:34 PM (71.224.168.103)

They waived our change fee, but only after requesting a supervisor. Now, since we didn't use the trip insurance, we'll try to transfer it to our new destination (Curacao).

--------------------
"It's a magic kind of medicine, that no doctor could prescribe." JB

pat
Traveler

Loc: Brookfield, CT.
Re: American Airlines [Re: foreversxm]
      #1745097 - 09/11/17 05:47 PM (75.133.113.202)

forever,

Yours is an interesting perspective. Very different from mine, but you know what, I hope you're right and I'm wrong.

In '95 we had an AA package tour booked for the very end of November and AA cancelled the whole trip because the island, in their words, wasn't open to visitors yet. We ended up last minute booking a stay in Aruba instead.

We returned the following April and were appalled by what we saw. We are not people who need to be catered to and one of our favorite 'other' pastimes is tent camping, if you get my drift.

But there was debris of every nature, from boards and corrugated to boats of every size and description laying on the sides of roads and some still over-turned in the water. There was a lot of small debris still in the seawater and imbedded in the sand, and you almost had to wear water shoes, the only time in 44 years we've ever had to do this. The majority of island friends I've spoken or corresponded with are telling me this storm damage, by all their accounts, is light years worse than Luis'.

My perspective is to give them time to regroup, clear their heads over what's happened to them and to their island and then to clear the roads and beaches, rebuild their homes, and get back on their feet at whatever their occupations.

Thus, my personal support, at least for the time being, will be in the form of donations and prayers and moral support for a while. The island friends I'm speaking with are not as optimistic as yours so I guess they must live in very different parts of the island.

We each have to do what we're comfortable with but I really doubt they'll be able to restart as quickly as you're suggesting. But again, I truly hope you're right and I'm wrong. Time will tell.....

--------------------
Respectfully,

pat

"Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat
them."

Tom
Traveler

Loc: Hershey, Pennsylvania
Re: American Airlines [Re: foreversxm]
      #1745099 - 09/11/17 05:49 PM (98.235.97.123)

Will PM our similar experience after Luis.

Cathyg
Traveler

Loc: Missouri
Re: American Airlines [Re: Tom]
      #1745106 - 09/11/17 06:06 PM (97.73.80.136)

When Steve called he said i need to cancel my trip in April...she said oh st martin...I understand...so sad. Your miles will be put into your account and the taxes will go back on your credit card.

He looked ...the miles were back in his account. He immediately used them to book a trip same time frame only a week less to Jamaica.

End of story

Folks...I don't know if you listened to the video today by Steve Payne the manager of Club Orient...but this is not a matter of repairing to reopen. Most of Club orient is completely GONE. And It sounded pretty clear to me that Steve Payne wants to go home to the USA. He said he promised his wife they would only stay 6 months and that was 9 years ago. I think the man is exhausted....and i completely understand. If the owners of Club Orient not only have to rebuild the entire resort...but they have to find a new manager to boot...we could be looking at a really long recovery time.

I am a very optimistic person...and i am so hoping that Club Orient will be back in business in April 2019...but i am not sure that is realistic.

Look how long it took to build all the new little buildings on Orient Beach....

Now you are talking Cleanup...getting supplies...and rebuilding every single one of them....in addition to all the resorts and restaurants.

Look how long it took to rebuild the mini suite that burned down at Club Orient. One building.....

How many buildings does Club Orient have to replace?

I am not interested in going to another resort. I want club Orient....and when and if it gets rebuilt...we will be the first to go back.

but this is a huge job and it will be prolonged by insurance and owners and lack of supplies.

pat
Traveler

Loc: Brookfield, CT.
      #1745123 - 09/11/17 06:41 PM (75.133.113.202)

What an insightful post. I know nothing of Club O but I get what he's feeling and you're saying. I heard the voice of a normally strong and no nonsense Islander yesterday, and she, too, was just emotionally spent.

I don't think people are getting this is going to be a ground up restoration of much of the island.

Thank you for your post.

--------------------
Respectfully,

pat

"Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat
them."

Cathyg
Traveler

Re: American Airlines [Re: pat]
      #1745148 - 09/11/17 07:55 PM (97.73.80.136)

thanks pat...I am not a debbie downer...

friends of mine said to me the other day...oh places will reopen in december

REALLY? Did you watch the video of Grand case? how in the name of God can anything REOPEN in December?
They wont even have the MESS cleaned up by December!

How many ships will it take to just haul off the trash???

How many ships will it take to bring enough supplies to rebuild the entire island?

How many WORKERS will it take to do that building?

Good grief...we had a hail storm and it took MONTHS for all the neighbors on our street to get new roofs....

We are talking about buildings that are GONE

thesimpsons
Traveler

Loc: Northern California
      #1745165 - 09/11/17 09:05 PM (71.134.229.206)

Cathyg,

Where did you find Steve Payne's video? I just checked Club O's website and Facebook page and didn't see it.

--------------------
[url=https://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]

Cathyg
Traveler

Re: American Airlines [Re: thesimpsons]
      #1745176 - 09/11/17 09:21 PM (97.73.80.136)

right here on traveltalk

on page one http://www.kesq.com/news/former-palm-spr...artin/617720771

stephen payne club o interview

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | >> (show all)

Extra information
13 registered and 66 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      TTOLCode is enabled

Topic views: 24103

Jump to

Contact Us Terms of Use Advertising on TTOL Traveltalkonline