Traveltalkonline.com Forums

Travel and Vacation Forums >> British Virgin Islands

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
Orange_Burst
Traveler

Loc: Toledo, OH, USA
Re: BVI Strong T shirts.. [Re: Twanger]
      #1745751 - 09/13/17 02:43 PM (72.240.59.138)

There is also this one on Kenny Chesney's page:

https://kennychesney.com/store/love-for-love-city-foundation

--------------------
Colleen

[url=https://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Thistle
Traveler

Loc: NC
Re: BVI Strong T shirts.. [Re: Orange_Burst]
      #1745767 - 09/13/17 03:33 PM (184.3.194.95)

I love Laura's designs, BUT as my 13- year old daughter (who sailed with www.ActionQuest.com this summer) pointed out, "Why buy yet another t-shirt, wouldn't it be better to just donate the full amount (and then some) to VISAR?" I think she's right.... I don't need another t-shirt. Making a direct donation (several t-shirt's worth) now to VISAR. www.visar.org

Manpot
Traveler

Loc: Tortola/ Sonoma, California
Re: BVI Strong T shirts.. [Re: lauraandrex]
      #1745821 - 09/13/17 07:09 PM (73.241.132.163)

Love you Laura..that design brought tears to my eyes. It is hard to break away from worrying about your own problems with all this but we need to be reminded that others are in much worse shape. Once we get a little more settled I will be doing what ever I can to help in every way possible. Met Laura on a sail down island on " Jeannius" with Mike and Jean..and she has become like a kid sister to us..much love and thanks so much for all you do..BUY HER SHIRTS!!!.

Winterstale
Traveler

Loc: Bradenton, FL
Re: BVI Strong T shirts.. [Re: Manpot]
      #1745840 - 09/13/17 08:23 PM (173.168.122.207)

Love the shirts Laura! Thanks for confirming our order so quickly and cannot wait to spread the good word....

--------------------

Bridget

postmandug

Loc: Kentucky
Re: BVI Strong T shirts.. [Re: Twanger]
      #1745900 - 09/14/17 08:03 AM (12.172.116.96)

https://www.facebook.com/JVDstrong/

Lenair
Traveler

Loc: Virginia, USA
Re: BVI Strong T shirts.. [Re: postmandug]
      #1745901 - 09/14/17 08:06 AM (40.129.72.106)

I love the design Laura! Just ordered mine.

--------------------
[url=https://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]

denverd0n
Traveler

Loc: Tampa, FL
Re: BVI Strong T shirts.. [Re: Thistle]
      #1745911 - 09/14/17 08:29 AM (131.247.65.4)

Quote:

Thistle said:
I love Laura's designs, BUT as my 13- year old daughter (who sailed with www.ActionQuest.com this summer) pointed out, "Why buy yet another t-shirt, wouldn't it be better to just donate the full amount (and then some) to VISAR?"

THIS!!!!!

Did the math on a couple of those t-shirt websites. In all cases, less than half the money is actually going to VISAR. One in particular has collected over $500 in sales, and has donated just barely over $100. Do the math for yourself, if you don't believe me.

Send VISAR the money, cut out the middle-man, and you'll do even more good. Of course, then you won't have a t-shirt to prove to the world how caring and generous you are. Maybe you care about that. If not, donate directly!

CottageGirl
Traveler

Loc: Petoskey, MI
Re: BVI Strong T shirts.. [Re: denverd0n]
      #1745946 - 09/14/17 09:55 AM (75.128.96.98)

Hey denverd0n, let's not bash people for buying a t-shirt. We don't know what other charities they may or may not have contributed to in ADDITION to buying a t-shirt. Charitable giving, in whatever form you choose, is a personal choice.

Kirk
Traveler

Loc: Maryland
Re: BVI Strong T shirts.. [Re: CottageGirl]
      #1745952 - 09/14/17 10:45 AM (68.167.192.130)

Along those lines...can I assume places like the Soggy Dollar on-line store is run from somewhere else? I was thinking about buying a bunch of stuff for Christmas presents...would think they could use the extra business $$$ coming in.

(I now see Cow Wreck posting about just this kind of thing on FB.)

--------------------
Kirk in Maryland

Edited by Kirk (09/14/17 10:53 AM)

lauraandrex
Sponsor

Loc: Buffalo, NY
Re: BVI Strong T shirts.. [Re: denverd0n]
      #1745980 - 09/14/17 12:04 PM (98.5.255.222)

Quote:

denverd0n said:
Quote:

Thistle said:
I love Laura's designs, BUT as my 13- year old daughter (who sailed with www.ActionQuest.com this summer) pointed out, "Why buy yet another t-shirt, wouldn't it be better to just donate the full amount (and then some) to VISAR?"

THIS!!!!!

Did the math on a couple of those t-shirt websites. In all cases, less than half the money is actually going to VISAR. One in particular has collected over $500 in sales, and has donated just barely over $100. Do the math for yourself, if you don't believe me.

Send VISAR the money, cut out the middle-man, and you'll do even more good. Of course, then you won't have a t-shirt to prove to the world how caring and generous you are. Maybe you care about that. If not, donate directly!

I understand these sentiments completely, and is one reason why I hesitated on even doing it at first because I had the same thoughts. But people were reaching out to me and asking about doing something and it was determined that this would not detract but add to the relief efforts.

The idea behind it is that sometimes people who aren't able to donate large sums generally hesitate from donating at all and sometimes a little "incentive" helps. On the other hand those that have donated large sums or efforts will also boost donations by grabbing a couple of t-shirts as well because they can and well, people like t-shirts.

I tried to come up with an inspiring message that would ultimately not only drive extra funds that likely would not have been but be inspiring and of course raise awareness. I am tweaking the site to add trusted links to donor sites as info comes in. I see Dirk also has a new campaign going so will be adding that.

Another goal is to also help get the folks on island some as well, once they are accepting clothing donations. I just want them to have something that has an uplifting message.

Anyway, that is the rational behind it and I certainly don't discourage anyone from donating straight away to a group. I am doing it all myself to keep the base costs at the absolute minimum. I am coordinating with DiveBVI who also is working on some designs that they would like to offer folks in addition to their main fundraiser and their response by their FB members has been really positive as well.

All I know is if I can't be there, I can at least donate my time and efforts to something that generates more awareness and donations. As of right now I'm up over $1000 that wasn't there before and I have more promoting to do.

Much love to all!

--------------------
cheers! Laura
Custom Sailing Shirts https://www.facebook.com/pages/CustomSailingShirtscom/112040245530182
www.customsailingshirts.com
sales@customsailingshirts.com

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 45 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      TTOLCode is enabled

Topic views: 1572

Jump to

Contact Us Terms of Use Advertising on TTOL Traveltalkonline
A Public Service of TTOL