Traveltalkonline.com Forums

Travel and Vacation Forums >> St. Maarten - St. Martin

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)
PelicanPirate
Traveler

Re: First cruise ship back on November 11 [Re: Rasputin]
      #1748025 - 09/28/17 09:56 PM (98.29.235.208)

https://www.cruisetimetables.com/cruises-to-philipsburg-st-maarten.html

This is a pretty good site. It shows planned cruises and also shows "cancelled" next to some.

I'm sure this data is legging reality but it is better than many sites including the cruise lines which appear to be selling their old itineraries and will substitute the stops (some announced) when the time comes.

Carnival Vista is not currently cancelled for 12 October. Not sure what, if anything, to read into that as other Carnival boats before/after are cancelled. Maybe whole cruise cancelled out of San Juan.

--------------------
Just the other night I was sleeping under a bridge and now here I am on the grandest ship in the world having champagne with you fine people.
Jack Dawson - Movie Titanic

Edited by PelicanPirate (09/28/17 09:58 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Rasputin
Traveler

Loc: here and there ...
Re: First cruise ship back on November 11 [Re: PelicanPirate]
      #1748032 - 09/28/17 10:27 PM (67.85.162.112)

I'll believe it when the Port of SXM announces in a Press Release the name of the Cruise Line, the name of the ship, and the actual date it is going to arrive.

This is like the airlines selling tickets for flights that won't be allowed to land (and therefore will never take off).

--------------------
Rah Rah Rasputin
They put some poison into his wine
He drank it all and said "I feel fine"

Julius
Traveler

Loc: St.Maarten, Point Blanche
      #1748155 - 09/29/17 06:57 PM (201.220.12.35)

Port St. Maarten is appealing and encouraging the business community to start looking at having their businesses operational and ready for November 11.

Rasputin
Traveler

Loc: here and there ...
Re: First cruise ship back on November 11 [Re: Julius]
      #1748156 - 09/29/17 07:04 PM (67.85.162.112)

Your link is not new information, actually it is old information ....
That is how this whole thing started....
does not mean anything is confirmed or actually going to happen on that date...... as I've already stated in my previous opinions, if you read this whole thread from the beginning.

BUT, I just noticed on your link, that they are now claiming that they will have 2 Cruise ship berths ready for Nov. 1st. However, until they actually announce the name of the ship and the actual date it is going to arrive, I feel this is all well intentioned motivational propaganda on their part.

--------------------
Rah Rah Rasputin
They put some poison into his wine
He drank it all and said "I feel fine"

Edited by Rasputin (09/29/17 07:19 PM)

gotaluvit
Traveler

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
      #1748208 - 09/30/17 08:13 AM (72.23.157.176)

Seems irresponsible on many levels to be talking about dropping cruise ships into SXM this early. Not good for the residents and not good for the passengers. Frankly, I don't think the governments should allow it. They need to counterbalance commercial "interests".

Eric_HillAdministrator
Administrator

Re: First cruise ship back on November 11 [Re: gotaluvit]
      #1748215 - 09/30/17 08:40 AM (107.77.253.3)

It seems that people are forgetting one big fact. It is not just the Govt/Port Authority that is going to make this decision alone. You have the cruise lines that will make the final decision.

And they are not just going to accept an arbitrary date that says they can port. They will want an evaluation by their own people. That will include is it safe to port their ships, what are the security issues, what is the status of facilities that these ships need in port, what is the ability to move/transport their passengers in a safe manor and where. If they want to offer a beach excursion for example what are the facilities available to serve their passengers. If none exist then they are not going to let it happen.

That evaluation alone is not going to happen in a few days and until they are assured by their own evaluation they are not going to port in SXM.

--------------------
Eric Hill
TTOL Shop

Carol_HillAdministrator
Administrator

Loc: Central Florida!
Re: First cruise ship back on November 11 [Re: gotaluvit]
      #1748218 - 09/30/17 08:58 AM (107.77.253.3)

Cruise ship passengers do not have any negative effect on residents. In fact, it will be quite a POSITIVE effect when the first ships come. It means MONEY, you know, what they use to pay their bills?? They don't need to be housed, for the most part they don't need to be fed, but they will start putting some tourist money back into the economy. Now, just because the government says the ships CAN come, doesn't mean they WILL, because the cruise lines will make their own determinations as to whether SXM will be able to provide a good enough product for their passengers, but that's something that they are in a lot better position to make that determination than we are.

RICKnGRACE_LI_NY
Traveler

Loc: Long Island, NY
Re: First cruise ship back on November 11 [Re: Carol_Hill]
      #1748224 - 09/30/17 09:27 AM (67.86.221.25)

To Eric's point, there is a major amount of consideration by the Cruise Company to insure the safety of the ship and the passengers. Also they have to consider their passengers. What is there to offer them while in Port. Where are they going? What are they going to do there? Are the roads passable? If they are, are the beaches inhabitable? Are they just going to offer a Visit Devastated St Martin/Sint Maarten excursion?

To Carol's point, the effects will be very positive. Getting tourist money flowing again will be very helpful without the burden of housing and feeding 3000 visitors. But there has to be something for them to do and see.

Like being between a rock and a hard place. Time will tell

--------------------
Rick and Grace

DPD1968
Traveler

Loc: PGH. PA
Re: First cruise ship back on November 11 [Re: Julius]
      #1748228 - 09/30/17 10:21 AM (73.174.146.73)

Its easy to see both points of view between tourism starting ASAP or having time to rebuild. Interesting conversation on Laser 101 yesterday by a representative of the Windward island's bank. He stated the business owner's are pushing the government for a Nov 1 date to allow tourist. Basically the need tourist dollars to keep the open business operating and in turn bring back and pay there employees so that they can rebuild their own lives.
Personally I know its not ideal but I think that its the only way they can get started.
Whatever your views I know we all want our Island "families" to rebuild and prosper. If going to the island and spending a few dollars with those open and drinking a beer from a cooler on the beach helps put a roof on a house I am happy to do it!

Carol_HillAdministrator
Administrator

Loc: Central Florida!
Re: First cruise ship back on November 11 [Re: DPD1968]
      #1748240 - 09/30/17 12:11 PM (107.77.253.3)

And again, there is a BIG difference between cruise ship pax and stayover visitors, in terms of what services they need. Cruise ship pax don't need that much. IF they can go to a nice beach which is CLEAN (which is another issue), and rent a couple of chairs and an umbrella and get a couple of beers, they can be happy with that. You don't have to worry about the airport, you don't have to worry about housing them, for the most part they don't eat that much on island, don't go to grocery stores, use either busses or taxis for transportation, so they don't have that big of footprint. True, many of them don't spend that much, but baby steps to get SOME money back into the economy is what SXM needs.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)

Extra information
2 registered and 65 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      TTOLCode is enabled

Topic views: 6944

Jump to

Contact Us Terms of Use Advertising on TTOL Traveltalkonline