Traveltalkonline.com Forums

Travel and Vacation Forums >> British Virgin Islands

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
bviicatter
Traveler

Loc: Annapolis, Md
Re: Warning to Moorings refugees to St Lucia [Re: aarpskier]
      #1751215 - 11/06/17 11:28 AM (71.166.51.167)

We were boarded once while sleeping and robbed again the next day October 29 and October 30 2017 in Marigot Bay. I put a new post about it under the BVI Forum.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
sail445
Traveler

Re: Warning to Moorings refugees to St Lucia [Re: bviicatter]
      #1751377 - 11/08/17 08:34 AM (107.72.162.82)

You'll find most islands that went Independent from the U.K. couldn't govern themselves successfully and that's the reason for the poverty and crime.
Very seldom will you see people harassing tourist on the islands still under French and Dutch rule.

Sunset_Sammy
Traveler

Re: Warning to Moorings refugees to St Lucia [Re: sail445]
      #1751415 - 11/09/17 07:19 AM (104.129.194.176)

Quote:

sail445 said:
You'll find most islands that went Independent from the U.K. couldn't govern themselves successfully and that's the reason for the poverty and crime.
Very seldom will you see people harassing tourist on the islands still under French and Dutch rule.

You may want to read some of the crime threads on the St. Maarten forum. Ask for advice on walking around Marigot at night as an example.

--------------------
Life is short, live it!

Carol_HillAdministrator
Administrator

Loc: Central Florida!
Re: Warning to Moorings refugees to St Lucia [Re: Sunset_Sammy]
      #1751417 - 11/09/17 07:32 AM (173.221.6.130)

Almost no reason to be in Marigot during the DAY these days..

Sunset_Sammy
Traveler

Re: Warning to Moorings refugees to St Lucia [Re: Carol_Hill]
      #1751423 - 11/09/17 11:24 AM (104.129.194.176)

Yes, and it's a shame what happened to the island, I loved going to the small local restaurants on the waterfront in Marigot, especially Enouchs. I'm not trying to knock SXM, it's just the last sentence of the above post doesn't seem to have a basis in reality.
I'm leaving for St. Lucia in 5 weeks, land based this time but will be sailing there in April with the last leg of the WARC, so certainly concerned about the up tick in crimes against tourist. The ARC+ has already left the Canaries and the ARC will soon be following. Will have to check noonsite for any additional reports of problems. I read in the St. Lucia news that the government has given police powers to the group that is responsible for the marine parks, so hopefully that will help.
For boats that are heading from Rodney Bay, the new location of the Moorings base, or Marigot Bay and can't make it all the way to Bequia in daylight; Cumberland Bay in St. Vincent has been good to us and one of our favorite stops. There are 5 beach bar/restaurants and a tourist center in the bay. The boat boys are more friendly than in Wallibalou and I haven't seen any reports of problems there in usual sailing sites. They know where their income comes from and they look out for their interests which is based totally on yachts stopping for the night. But of course, like anywhere else lock the boat, lock the dingy, motor and fuel tank.

--------------------
Life is short, live it!

snmhanson
Traveler

Loc: Pacific NW
Re: Warning to Moorings refugees to St Lucia [Re: Sunset_Sammy]
      #1751830 - 11/15/17 05:05 PM (68.186.105.33)

Sorry to revive this thread just as it seems to be drifting towards TTOL history. I'm still trying to decide what to do for our February charter. Basically our choices are:

One-way, starting in St. Lucia and spending the first night at a slip at the Capella Resort in Marigot Bay (where we would also spend the prior night ashore in one of their rooms). Leave early the next morning and try to make Bequia that day with a contingency stop in Cumberland Bay if it doesn't look like we will make Bequia. It would be a long sail on the first day of the charter and/or a possible stressful night sleeping with one eye open on the hook or ball in Cumberland.

Or, we could change to a round trip charter starting and finishing in Grenada. This wouldn't be too bad except that we will still want to get to Bequia so we would be spending the first few days of the charter heading north into the wind and swell rather than on a beam or broad reach. We would also have to backtrack to islands that we have already seen on our return to Grenada. However, we would save the $1200 one-way fee that the charter company charges to deliver the boat to St. Lucia and we would probably feel safer avoiding St. Lucia and St. Vincent. But we would miss out spending a couple days at the Capella Resort which we are looking forward to.

Any advice or opinions? I don't think changing our flights would be a big issue right now as long as we get on it pretty soon.

Also, a side questions about C&I. My understanding in that St. Vincent and most of the Grenadines are all under the same C&I authority. So, we will only have to do C&I once after leaving St. Lucia (or Grenada), until we get down to/ return to Carriacou. Is that correct?

Thanks,

Matt

DaveZ
Traveler

Re: Warning to Moorings refugees to St Lucia [Re: snmhanson]
      #1751831 - 11/15/17 05:48 PM (75.149.252.193)

I have done this trip many times, both R/T out of St. Lucia and one way SL to Grenada. Last time was 2 years ago R/T start and finish in SL out of Rodney Bay. One thing I can tell you about the Mooring ops out of SL is that it has always been first rate with spot on local intel. They always gave us good info on where it was safe to stop and where you might want to avoid. One gem was a small bay with a great little french restaurant. They had their own moorings and it felt very safe. Others here may recall the name of the stop I just don't have it right now. In any event it is north of Kingstown but south of Cumberland. We were able to easily reach Rodney bay the next day. You could use it as a stop both up and down without trying to kill yourself reaching Bequia. When you get to Bequia to clear in you can contact African (associated with Moorings) who was very helpful in getting a ball and general info. BTW as an aside I never got the attraction with Bequia!!
For C&I you can clear in and out of Bequia pretty easily, never had a problem there. If you are in Tobago Cay and want to check out there you needed to go to the airport at either Union Island or Canuoun.
Hope this helps, but remember too that this info is 2 years old.

maytrix
Traveler

Loc: Massachusetts
Re: Warning to Moorings refugees to St Lucia [Re: DaveZ]
      #1751842 - 11/15/17 08:43 PM (24.91.86.214)

I'd start in St. Lucia just to spend time at Capella :) Although when we were there it was July 2016 and we were just a handful of people there. But it was by far the best value we've ever had staying on the dock. We basically spent the majority of our time there as we weren't going to leave St. Lucia since we were doing a check out of our boat before phase out.

--------------------
Matt

tothedogs
Traveler

Loc: Eastern MA
Re: Warning to Moorings refugees to St Lucia [Re: DaveZ]
      #1751862 - 11/16/17 08:51 AM (129.63.123.24)

I think the place you are referring to is the Rock Side Cafe in Kearton's Bay. It is the next stop south of Wallilabou. One can probably even dinghy to it. We were last there 2 years ago and there were 2 moorings for dinner guests. They send people out to help you tie off bow and stern. They also send someone out in a dinghy to pick you up and return you back to your boat after dinner.

Orlando and Rosie were wonderful company and the meal was very good. We are looking forward to returning in January.

snmhanson
Traveler

Loc: Pacific NW
Re: Warning to Moorings refugees to St Lucia [Re: tothedogs]
      #1751981 - 11/17/17 02:07 PM (68.186.105.33)

Thanks all. Based on the responses here I think we will leave our charter as a one-way St. Lucia to Grenada and just use extra caution and local knowledge when deciding how to proceed south. Sounds like there are a couple potentially good and safe options in St. Vincent if an overnight stop becomes necessary. Maybe I'll see if we can get permission for a pre-dawn departure to give us an extra couple house to get to Bequia in one day - or if not allowed maybe have the delivery captain accompany us on that leg through the night.

Really looking forward to our charter and a new adventure. Hope to run into other TTOLers while we're down there.

Matt

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
2 registered and 46 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      TTOLCode is enabled

Topic views: 6931

Jump to

Contact Us Terms of Use Advertising on TTOL Traveltalkonline
A Public Service of TTOL