Traveltalkonline.com Forums

Travel and Vacation Forums >> British Virgin Islands

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | >> (show all)
Kirk
Traveler

Loc: Maryland
Law coming for yachts that dump
      #1538399 - 10/07/13 12:54 PM (207.87.200.2)

Interesting bit in today's' news...

Following numerous complaints about yachts polluting the territory’s waters with sewage, the governing National Democratic Party administration has promised to introduce a bill aimed at addressing the situation.
It also intends to have the necessary landside facilities in place for the disposal of such waste.
Governor Boyd McCleary made the promise in the House of Assembly on Monday (October 7) while delivering the Throne Speech, which outlines government’s legislative programme.
“My government will introduce environmental management legislation to regulate the discharge of sewage by boats and to ensure that the proper landside facilities are in place to handle waste,” he said.

http://bvinews.com/bvi/law-coming-for-yachts-that-dump-sewage-in-sea/

They've got some work to do first....

--------------------
Kirk in Maryland

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
RMW
Unregistered

Re: Law coming for yachts that dump [Re: Kirk]
      #1538410 - 10/07/13 01:55 PM (31.164.245.52)

Saw that, too. So the boats will pump into a holding tank, that will flow into the sewers and out into the harbor. Priorities are odd indeed: raw sewage flows through the streets of Tortola, but they want to build a $300 million airport, quayside amusement park, race track and who knows what else.

Unregistered

#1538420 - 10/07/13 02:36 PM (64.134.98.25)

At least a couple of anchorages where there is ZERO tolerance for dumping would be a plus. Catalina Island of California and other nice places have been that way for a very long time.

One action is for the boat renting community to refuse to rent to boats that do not have functional holding tanks. At the same time we could look on others in the anchorages that do not have adequate holding tanks the same or worse than the crew tossing litter and trash into the sea or beach.

Would you rather the boat on the ball next to you throwing paper plates or human waste into the water where you are swimming.

Do you ask about the holding tanks before you send your deposit in?

How about some type of online blacklist for the boats without working holding list, coupled with a GREEN LIST for the boats that keep waste out of the anchorages?

capttom
Traveler

Re: Law coming for yachts that dump [Re: Anonymous]
      #1538427 - 10/07/13 02:50 PM (72.51.126.144)

This is usually a hot topic so im gonna toss in my two cents real quick and then bail...
How can this be a bad thing? I just don't get the resistance. What does this have to do with the airport, or a dragstrip? there are a couple of different ways that this could be implemented, it could be funded in part with EU and GBR money, and even if it only works halfway it is a net gain. Let the land-based problem be that, and let sailors take care of themselves. It literally could be as simple as a small tank, a macerator pump, and a switch at the helm. mark on the charts the suitable discharge areas, and the problems in enclosed bays and harbours is reduced.

Unregistered

Re: Law coming for yachts that dump [Re: capttom]
      #1538428 - 10/07/13 03:01 PM (64.134.98.25)

A Bid +1

Rome was not built in a day. This issue will not be fixed in one step. At a minimum. No new boats should be added to the charter fleets without suitable waste handling capacity.

Quote:

capttom said:
This is usually a hot topic so im gonna toss in my two cents real quick and then bail...
How can this be a bad thing? I just don't get the resistance. What does this have to do with the airport, or a dragstrip? there are a couple of different ways that this could be implemented, it could be funded in part with EU and GBR money, and even if it only works halfway it is a net gain. Let the land-based problem be that, and let sailors take care of themselves. It literally could be as simple as a small tank, a macerator pump, and a switch at the helm. mark on the charts the suitable discharge areas, and the problems in enclosed bays and harbours is reduced.

maytrix
Traveler

Loc: Massachusetts
      #1538430 - 10/07/13 03:11 PM (173.48.111.235)

I think the majority of the boats already do this - I know we've never had our holding tanks open in an anchorage.

--------------------
Matt

bviboater
Traveler

Loc: West Palm Beach FL
      #1538442 - 10/07/13 04:02 PM (207.239.231.194)

Sounds like a boatload of crap to me

--------------------
John

HillsideView
Traveler

Loc: Ya never know...
Re: Law coming for yachts that dump [Re: bviboater]
      #1538462 - 10/07/13 05:21 PM (76.1.245.119)

"while delivering the Throne Speech"

Appropriate subject.

--------------------
My foot fits right into my shoe and my shoe will fit right into your...

Unregistered

Re: Law coming for yachts that dump [Re: HillsideView]
      #1538491 - 10/07/13 07:47 PM (76.126.74.37)

Capttom, could you please stop polluting ( no pun intended ) this forum with facts and common sense.

CaptainRick
Sponsor

Loc: British Virgin Islands, Caribb...
      #1538500 - 10/07/13 08:28 PM (74.122.91.95)

I could be way off base here, and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong... I am completely onside with the philosophy since I purposefully outfitted my own boat with large capacity holding tanks, dockside pumpout fittings, overboard macerators, etc... I just don't understand the priority list. Again, correct me if I'm wrong, but when you compare the number of people living onboard boats in BVI waters on an average daily basis compared with the number of people on land that pump raw sewage out of places like Roadtown on a daily basis like it's perfectly normal... what am I missing here?? It's great to address one side of the concern, but if the concern is coming from another side that is just as big a part of the problem if not bigger.. then why not examine all sources of the large scale problem and address all equally at the same time? Would make sense, no? Am I the only one that's spent any time in Roadtown and seen/smelled what trickles down those rivers?

--------------------
Link to 'Sophisticated Lady' BoatCam!

Cheers,
Captain Rick
S/V 'Sophisticated Lady'
http://www.WindInMySails.com
charter@WindInMySails.com

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | >> (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 79 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      TTOLCode is enabled

Topic views: 5826

Jump to

Contact Us Terms of Use Advertising on TTOL Traveltalkonline
A Public Service of TTOL