Traveltalkonline.com Forums

Travel and Vacation Forums >> St. Maarten - St. Martin

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Unregistered

Life Guards
      #1556688 - 01/06/14 08:32 PM (98.109.80.16)

37 beaches,no Life Guards.
Last week while swimming at Orient Bay a little girl of age 6 ventured into the rough water. I asked her where her parents were. said she that they were not on the beach. I relayed this to a lady next to me and she took the child out of the water quickly.
we in the U.S., especially N.J.,have Life Guard protection as does California and Australia. Life Guards are taught CPR, a usefull trait. Being a Life Guard at many of the 37 SXM beautiful beaches could create many jobs for the idle youths of the Island and protection for kids that go unattended. their salaries could be provided by the many venders who operate on some of the beaches. some that charge $10.for a chair rental or squatters who profit from food sales. a small price to pay in the aid and protection of a kids life. MHO.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
SXMScubaman
Traveler

Loc: Auburn, WA
Re: Life Guards [Re: Anonymous]
      #1556694 - 01/06/14 08:48 PM (75.172.60.98)

Nice thought but there is more to it than just providing a job to the local youth to watch the surf. Professional training in CRP, rescue and medical knowledge let alone the liability risk that goes along with it.

Island Man
Unregistered

#1556696 - 01/06/14 08:52 PM (75.251.98.10)

I'm not aware of any official life guards on the island's beaches, but people have been rescued from drowning by security guards who usually have some training. A few years back a guest of mine was rescued from drowning in an undertow at Divi Resort by their security. In the USA and other areas undertows are a major contributor of drowning, but it is not as much of a problem on SXM. One of the reasons for the lack on lifeguards on SXM may be due to the very low number of reported drownings. Of course it is better to have trained lifeguards on our beaches. A good source for future lifeguards would be from local swim teams such as The Carib Swim Team. Perhaps your input will provide an inspiration for some improvements.

Chuck_Morton
Traveler

Loc: Maine, USA
      #1556697 - 01/06/14 08:53 PM (108.183.175.123)

Just a thought but perhaps the parents need to take a bit of responsibility in the scenario that you just described! In fact, maybe everyone needs to take a little more personal responsibility for their actions, but that said, I haven't heard of many incidents of drowning on the beaches of SXM, with the exception of a couple of heart issues and to suddenly proclaim that ALL 37 beaches need lifeguards seems a bit of an over-reaction. JMO

DonLinda
Traveler

Re: Life Guards [Re: Chuck_Morton]
      #1556701 - 01/06/14 09:04 PM (172.3.28.189)

--------------------
SXM links and trip reports

Unregistered

#1556714 - 01/06/14 09:47 PM (208.91.195.229)

Quote:

Chuck_Morton said:
Just a thought but perhaps the parents need to take a bit of responsibility in the scenario that you just described! In fact, maybe everyone needs to take a little more personal responsibility for their actions, but that said, I haven't heard of many incidents of drowning on the beaches of SXM, with the exception of a couple of heart issues and to suddenly proclaim that ALL 37 beaches need lifeguards seems a bit of an over-reaction. JMO

One might ask how the putative lifeguards are to be paid?

pat
Traveler

Loc: Brookfield, CT.
      #1556715 - 01/06/14 09:47 PM (76.252.201.61)

Couldn't agree more with what you've stated so well.

--------------------
Respectfully,

pat

"Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat
them."

SXMWendell
Traveler

#1556719 - 01/06/14 10:00 PM (76.206.30.210)

Ditto

SXM??? Wendell

Unregistered

Re: Life Guards [Re: SXMWendell]
      #1556728 - 01/06/14 10:57 PM (98.109.80.16)

point being, some parents don't take responsibility. a six year old kid left alone in rough water is not taking responsibility.
a trained lifeguard on a tall chair with an eye on the water, binoculars and lifesaving equipment at their side is more comforting then depending on a security guard with street clothes to save one from drowning.
not too long ago a person lost their live on Orient beach.
a man drowned and was washed ashore at Maho also.. it's not as rare as one would think.

Unregistered

#1556729 - 01/06/14 11:09 PM (98.109.80.16)

Quote:

Anonymous said:
Quote:

Chuck_Morton said:

One might ask how the putative lifeguards are to be paid?

many of, not all of the 37 beaches. these beaches are divided between two countries.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
4 registered and 84 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      TTOLCode is enabled

Topic views: 3659

Jump to

Contact Us Terms of Use Advertising on TTOL Traveltalkonline