Traveltalkonline.com Forums

Travel and Vacation Forums >> British Virgin Islands

Pages: 1
P323
Traveler

Bruise with white center- any known critter cause?
      #1562066 - 01/24/14 03:57 PM (200.50.67.229)

My wife has discovered what looks like a "normal" bruise (purple to yellow gradient coloration) on her abdomen but it has a white (original skin color) center about the size of a dime. The bruise looks somewhat trapezoidal, some would say a square, others a diamond shape (if she would show them). There is no sign of a bite, no ridgity, and the center is soft. She has not been in the water.
It reminds her of a deer tick bite from years ago (lyme's), but we haven't seen any deer, and only goats in passing. Does anyone have a direct BVI experience like this? What kind of critter are we looking at, and what is the treatment timeline criticality? Is Peebles in our future or not?
Thanks for any specific feedback,
Gary

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
saildoggie
Traveler

Loc: In Cahoots..;-0
Re: Bruise with white center- any known critter cause? [Re: P323]
      #1562126 - 01/24/14 08:24 PM (108.0.79.228)

When did the bruise appear? Is she at all allergic to insect bites?
I had a serious incident with bites from a Jack Spaniard (wasp) that I never felt.

P323
Traveler

Re: Bruise with white center- any known critter cause? [Re: saildoggie]
      #1562137 - 01/24/14 08:54 PM (200.50.67.101)

Quote:

saildoggie said:
When did the bruise appear? Is she at all allergic to insect bites?
I had a serious incident with bites from a Jack Spaniard (wasp) that I never felt.

She noticed the "bruise" yesterday, and then became concerned today when it became more evident that the center was remaining white. There is no evidence of a bite, and the outer edges of the bruise are not a circular shape, whereas the white center is circular. She doesn't really have any known allergic reactions. There's been no pain or itching. We've been here two weeks, so whatever it is most likely happened here. I've been trying to come up with a strange way she might have pinched herself while "hooking" on the bow, but the heights are all wrong. It's a mystery!

saildoggie
Traveler

Loc: In Cahoots..;-0
      #1562141 - 01/24/14 09:15 PM (108.0.79.228)

HMMM..if it is not causing any discomfort maybe wait and see, otherwise I have heard that a trip to Peebles does not cost much.

joeandholls
Traveler

Loc: WMASS.
Re: Bruise with white center- any known critter cause? [Re: saildoggie]
      #1562234 - 01/25/14 10:41 AM (66.189.101.16)

Can't help with the bruise thing....but Dawg is correct with Peebles not being very expensive. Last Nov. we were down, and thought Big Jack was having a heart attack. Turns out he was seriously dehydrated, 3 bags of fluid, 3 ekg's, and 5 hours later it was $134.00 bill!

sail445
Traveler

Re: Bruise with white center- any known critter cause? [Re: joeandholls]
      #1562281 - 01/25/14 01:59 PM (166.205.55.49)

I just got this info on the Recluse spider:
Brown recluse spider bite symptoms

The bite of a brown recluse spider leads to a mild stinging, followed by local redness and severe pain that usually develops within eight hours but may occur later. Some reports of brown recluse bites describe a blue or purple area around the bite, surrounded by a whitish ring and large red outer ring in a "bull's eye" pattern. A fluid-filled blister forms at the site and then sloughs off to reveal a deep ulcer that may turn black.

LouLou
Unregistered

Re: Bruise with white center- any known critter cause? [Re: joeandholls]
      #1562285 - 01/25/14 02:28 PM (98.209.185.10)

If you think she needs medical attention I would go to one of the neighbor clinics. If you go to Peebles you can be there all day. (That is from my prior experience)

P323
Traveler

Re: Bruise with white center- any known critter cause? [Re: LouLou]
      #1562343 - 01/25/14 07:45 PM (200.50.67.225)

Thanks to all for responses. We were looking for a potentially known BVI cause, and it looks like this may just be an anomaly. It seems to be "stable" - no changes in temperature, no pain or itching, just a bruise with a white center. That's the unique aspect and the worry of it.
We are somewhat familiar with Peebles from both the cost and timing aspects due to an event several years ago. A somewhat fascinating experience given that my wife is a nurse. We experienced some very dedicated people who care about what they do and work with what they've got. I agree with the sticker shock comment - about 5% of what the same would have been billed at home.
We'll be heading home Tuesday and our GP can scratch his head...
Thanks again,
Gary

cptratbag
Traveler

Loc: 4214N 8539W
      #1562367 - 01/25/14 11:18 PM (66.73.126.28)

Googling around a bit, I saw one explanation that the center of the bruise might have more swelling, therefore higher pressure on the blood vessels. This in turn causes less blood flow, and a whiter color.

--------------------
/Arrrt
This post made with recycled electrons.

Pages: 1

Extra information
5 registered and 48 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      TTOLCode is enabled

Topic views: 29528

Jump to

Contact Us Terms of Use Advertising on TTOL Traveltalkonline
A Public Service of TTOL