Traveltalkonline.com Forums

Travel and Vacation Forums >> British Virgin Islands

Pages: 1
caribbeangirl13
Traveler

Charly II Catamaran
      #1574413 - 03/12/14 08:34 PM (75.148.117.121)

OK, I've done it. I have reserved my first Catamaran! My stepfather will be rolling over in his grave and we will see how many snide remarks my mom comes up with during the week but the kids will be stoked! We have the Charly II reserved and before I put down my deposit I thought I would throw it out there and see if anyone has chartered her before. She is a Lagoon 420 and we are chartering through BVI Yacht Charters.

--------------------
[url=https://www.TickerFactory.com/]

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
gothamsailer
Traveler

Loc: New York
Re: Charly II Catamaran [Re: caribbeangirl13]
      #1574482 - 03/13/14 08:19 AM (108.182.74.148)

Have not chartered Charly II.

(My wife will not let me go over to the dark side. Monohulls only)

But can vouch for BVI Yacht Charters. We had a great experience with them this past Jan. on Miss U. Very professional and friendly outfit with the bonus that you are walking distance to the Rite Way supermarket from their marina.

Winterstale
Traveler

Loc: Bradenton, FL
Re: Charly II Catamaran [Re: gothamsailer]
      #1574483 - 03/13/14 08:27 AM (99.8.136.235)

Another thumbs up for BVI YC - heading into our fourth charter with them in May! Great outfit - and yes, VERY nice to have Riteway....right there!

--------------------

Bridget

rehoboth
Traveler

Loc: Bala Cynwyd, PA
Re: Charly II Catamaran [Re: Winterstale]
      #1574487 - 03/13/14 08:47 AM (216.1.79.2)

Awhile back we booked Charly II for this upcoming Easter week, but were notified last October that the boat was "leaving" the BVIYC fleet, and that we were being switched to its identical sistership, Kiaora II. In any event, we'll let you know how it goes when we get back, although that will be after you probably will have made a deposit decision. Side note - the family we're going with has gone through BVIYC several times, all good.

Manpot
Traveler

Loc: Tortola/ Sonoma, California
      #1574496 - 03/13/14 09:22 AM (199.16.56.121)

You have chartered a very roomy cat..but one that really does not sail very well. I would hate to see your opinion of cats formed by the sailing performance of a 420...the 440 on the other hand sails amazingly well..ask " Catatonic" Dirk..or anyone who's raced against him!

rehoboth
Traveler

Loc: Bala Cynwyd, PA
Re: Charly II Catamaran [Re: Manpot]
      #1574503 - 03/13/14 09:39 AM (216.1.79.2)

Yup, we have heard also that the 420 is not the greatest sailing vessel ever, but sometimes (like with 4 adults and 3 kids) space and comfort are the top priority for a week.

caribbeangirl13
Traveler

Re: Charly II Catamaran [Re: rehoboth]
      #1574716 - 03/13/14 06:48 PM (166.147.88.41)

Quote:

rehoboth said:
Awhile back we booked Charly II for this upcoming Easter week, but were notified last October that the boat was "leaving" the BVIYC fleet, and that we were being switched to its identical sistership, Kiaora II. In any event, we'll let you know how it goes when we get back, although that will be after you probably will have made a deposit decision. Side note - the family we're going with has gone through BVIYC several times, all good.

Would love to hear how it goes! Thank you!

--------------------

ChamberWinds
Traveler

Loc: Wolf Creek, AL
      #1574810 - 03/14/14 01:26 AM (99.194.167.7)

I have chartered Charly II, but it's been 2.5 years. October 2011. Agree that it is not the best sailing boat in the world, especially up wind. As mentioned in your other thread, you will likely need to back wind the jib to get her through a tack. We never had to start an engine to tack. I think we bailed out on one attempt and just fell off, regained speed and tried again. Fall off a little farther than you normally would in a mono to regain speed lost in the tack, then head up. My guess with your sailing experience you'll have this figured out pretty quick. Off the wind we hit 11 Kts in the SFD channel heading from the charter base to Norman. We were having such a good time we sailed way past Norman just for fun before coming back to the anchorage (I highly recommend Benures Bay). Don't expect to get that kind of speed on a regular basis, though. We were in perfect conditions. Broad reach and about 15-18 Kts of wind. Fairly flat, but following seas. Don't plan on doing better that 7 Kts, slower up wind.

We did have some problems with the boat. Check out all electronics before leaving the dock. We made a rookie mistake….depth gauge did not work. Between charts and chart plotter I wasn't too concerned about running aground, but had to take educated guesses on scope for anchoring. They tried to fix it, but only ended up messing up the auto pilot. Kept doing crazy Ivans after that. We chose to do without it rather than wait for another service call. We were having fun. Having said that, we like BVIYC. They were willing to get it right, we just weren't interested or worried. They comped our fuel at the end of the charter for our troubles. We are chartering with them this coming August out of their St. Martin base.

All in all, for a charter, we liked the boat. Lots of room, big showers, comfy cabins. None of us were what you might call competitive sailors, so the less than optimal performance was not a big deal for us. The sailing equipment was in good shape. Electric winch for hauling up the main (probably standard on most cats in the BVI). The dinghy was reliable and easy to deploy and recover on the davits. As I recall, the jib sheets were just a tad too small for the self tailing winches. We had to manually tail those lines. Not a problem since I had pretty eager crew. Again, you'll figure that out pretty quick if it's still a problem. That electric winch made a big pile of main halyard pretty quick, though! Keep fingers and pony tails away from that thing!

One word of advice. When you use the stern shower be aware that it is just aft of the starboard cabin. There's a window in that cabin that if left open will result in wet bedding. Learn from my mistake.

Have a great trip.

--------------------
http://www.wolfbaywatch.org/

caribbeangirl13
Traveler

Re: Charly II Catamaran [Re: ChamberWinds]
      #1575050 - 03/14/14 06:37 PM (75.148.117.121)

Quote:

ChamberWinds said:
I have chartered Charly II, but it's been 2.5 years. October 2011. Agree that it is not the best sailing boat in the world, especially up wind. As mentioned in your other thread, you will likely need to back wind the jib to get her through a tack. We never had to start an engine to tack. I think we bailed out on one attempt and just fell off, regained speed and tried again. Fall off a little farther than you normally would in a mono to regain speed lost in the tack, then head up. My guess with your sailing experience you'll have this figured out pretty quick. Off the wind we hit 11 Kts in the SFD channel heading from the charter base to Norman. We were having such a good time we sailed way past Norman just for fun before coming back to the anchorage (I highly recommend Benures Bay). Don't expect to get that kind of speed on a regular basis, though. We were in perfect conditions. Broad reach and about 15-18 Kts of wind. Fairly flat, but following seas. Don't plan on doing better that 7 Kts, slower up wind.

We did have some problems with the boat. Check out all electronics before leaving the dock. We made a rookie mistake….depth gauge did not work. Between charts and chart plotter I wasn't too concerned about running aground, but had to take educated guesses on scope for anchoring. They tried to fix it, but only ended up messing up the auto pilot. Kept doing crazy Ivans after that. We chose to do without it rather than wait for another service call. We were having fun. Having said that, we like BVIYC. They were willing to get it right, we just weren't interested or worried. They comped our fuel at the end of the charter for our troubles. We are chartering with them this coming August out of their St. Martin base.

All in all, for a charter, we liked the boat. Lots of room, big showers, comfy cabins. None of us were what you might call competitive sailors, so the less than optimal performance was not a big deal for us. The sailing equipment was in good shape. Electric winch for hauling up the main (probably standard on most cats in the BVI). The dinghy was reliable and easy to deploy and recover on the davits. As I recall, the jib sheets were just a tad too small for the self tailing winches. We had to manually tail those lines. Not a problem since I had pretty eager crew. Again, you'll figure that out pretty quick if it's still a problem. That electric winch made a big pile of main halyard pretty quick, though! Keep fingers and pony tails away from that thing!

One word of advice. When you use the stern shower be aware that it is just aft of the starboard cabin. There's a window in that cabin that if left open will result in wet bedding. Learn from my mistake.

Have a great trip.

Thank you! I am just about to send in my paperwork and appreciate the advice!

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 24 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      TTOLCode is enabled

Topic views: 1315

Jump to

Contact Us Terms of Use Advertising on TTOL Traveltalkonline
A Public Service of TTOL