I just got off the phone with Voyage. The vessel we were chartering has been completely lost. I know how many boats they are left with versus many were in their fleet pre Irma. We are talking a significant reduction in fleet. They want us to be patient for a few more weeks or so before making a decision. I believe they will try to re-assign us to another catamaran for our dates if available. But for now, they are first dealing with charters up until the end of this year, whether it be full refunds for those they cannot accommodate or boats for those they can.
Sounds like we have a few options:
1. Cancel now and absorb a 20% cancellation fee. However they indicated the banks aren't up in Tortola and it will take time to receive the remaining refund of 30% - not sure how long. 2. Possibly move our travel dates to the future sometime and not lose 20% cancellation fee, they keep the 50% deposit already put down 3. Wait and see if they are able to re-accommodate our group to a new boat for original dates
All in all, I do not know what to do. I feel bad for them and for everyone involved. I could hear the desperation in the Voyage Reps voice. They are trying to salvage what is left of their business. If we all pull out (meaning not just us, but all charterers), it could sink them financially.
I do know my friends. They will not go and I don't blame them. They are waiting for me to handle this. I was, after all, the person who convinced them to go in the first place.
My husband and I will likely go at some point because we want to help stimulate the economy, but it will not be on a Voyage Cat. It is just too expensive for the 2 of us. I do not want to round up another group of friends to go. It will be a hard sell....