By jagmansr

Post Irma Trip Report Part 1: Sea Cow Bay and Captain's Compass.
Carol and I are the owners of Leopard Island Fun chartered through Captain’s Compass and Brent Fennell. We were down December 9th for a week long trip. This is my two part report on our post Irma visit. Part One is about the current conditions at Sea Cow Bay and Captain's Compass. Part two is a summation of our trip around the islands.

First off, I can't over state our gratitude for all the hard work and care Brent put into protecting his fleet. Irma caused the destruction of 70% of the boats in the BVI. Thanks to Brent, our cat moved less than a foot during the hurricane and the only real damage we incurred was the loss of our mast. (which again thanks to Bent has been ordered and should be replaced in the next 4 to 8 weeks. Until then we have a power cat that has already been out on 2 charters. Brent has most of his fleet up and running and was the first charter company to have a boat sailing in charter the first of December.

Sea Cow Bay is in good shape. Gene's restaurant is running full service. Our dinner there was great Full menu and the usual great service and friendship. Gene's was very busy Saturday night. The grocery store in the marina is open and fully stocked. The marina is fortunate to have a large generator for when the power of off. Actually, the generator ran during the hurricane and they never loss power. There are many boats totally gone at Sea Cow Bay. Besides Brent’s boats there are only a few requiring minimal repairs.

Just want to finish this thread with the fact that Captain’s Compass is one of the few charter companies that not only survived Irma but is up and running. I encourage everyone not to hesitate going back to the BVI. Yes it has changed but you’ll appreciate discovering the new BVI and grasping the strength and damage mother nature can do. Part two about our trip is following

Eric Hill
TTOL Sponsors