I always rented from Sharon. Long Live the Queen. When we were on island this year though....we did what I never thought was possible. We now have T Mobile for our cell phone use....and added for the weeks we were on island, their international plan. I think it was fifteen dollars plus a couple of fees added on. It included all calls from SXM to the states on a landline. This worked perfect for my ninety six year old mom...so i was able to keep in touch with her. A few cell to cell calls cost a couple fo bucks extra...but very minimal. A lot of our other calls were made on WhatsApp, which i never heard of before this trip. It is wi fi calling from cell to any phone in the world....even with video...over the web. I used it often, at LaPlage during the evenings.....I did have the internet plan there. As for the French side...i don't think that whats app would make any difference where it is.....IF you are near a wi fi signal. In other words....maybe check with your current carrier. I really was amazed at how cheap i got away with this year for all my cell phone needsf. It also was convenient carrying my own phone with me...with my handy dandy built in camera. Didn't miss too many moments on film. smile