RonDon 83
fabila 47
Zanshin 40
Member Spotlight
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
bvibev, jimma4191
Who's Online Now
43 registered members (Todd, fabila, MamaB, Kennys, Fletch, boucharda, JeanneB, OceanSong, MrEZgoin, Manpot, Fitzhughlaw, SteveH, Zanshin, ChiTownHarry, sunmantwo, onlymedication, Marsh, Alltech63, Lionsail, CaribbeanCanadians, eightzerobits, MikeBiondo, GeorgeC1, BillDauterive, Angelface, SXMScubaman, jazzgal, Tracey868, Bernd, RonDon, 13 invisible), 913 guests, and 80 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
St. Thomas VS Tortola Charter? #132318
06/09/2017 09:06 PM
06/09/2017 09:06 PM
Reno, NV USA
CaptnAndy Offline OP
Traveler
CaptnAndy  Offline OP
Traveler
Reno, NV USA
We are starting our 2018 charter search, and we're wondering what the cost differences are between charter co. on St. Thomas compared to either Moorings or Voyage on Tortola? We are repeat customers at both Moorings and Voyage.
Provisioning costs in either place? Might enjoy NOT having to ferry to and from Tortola, but the trade-off would be clearing customs both ways.
Thoughts??

[Linked Image]
BVI Sponsors
Re: St. Thomas VS Tortola Charter? [Re: CaptnAndy] #132319
06/09/2017 09:34 PM
06/09/2017 09:34 PM
Ill, USA
Will_L Offline
Traveler
Will_L  Offline
Traveler
Ill, USA
Looks like it's about 10 bucks per person per day more on a usvi charter plus hassle of clearing in/out of bvi . There is no ferry ride needed in the usvi..but if goal of cruising in the bvi..you spend a day going out and a day coming back. There will be people promoting both venues..many with a dog in the hunt. I did both before putting a boat in charter in the bvi. We no longer have a boat in charter . Could care less where one starts from. Take owner's claims for what they are. See what works best for you .

Re: St. Thomas VS Tortola Charter? [Re: Will_L] #132320
06/09/2017 11:58 PM
06/09/2017 11:58 PM
USVI
LocalSailor Offline
Traveler
LocalSailor  Offline
Traveler
USVI
If you would enjoy spending a night or 2 in STJ or the USVI somewhere instead of the BVI scene, avoid the ferry trips and cost, provision in St Thomas at USVI prices,quality and selection, can find a vessel that you like at a good price then it seems worth considering the STT starting point.
C&I are not very time consuming and probably cheaper overall with a STJ stop, than the ferry cost RT alone.
If you have quite a few 'must visit' places in the BVI it probably should indicate a BVI start.

I have no dog in the fight either - just personally enjoy the peace and quiet of STJ than the more crowded bar/restaurant scene in the BVI when I am sailing.

Last edited by LocalSailor; 06/10/2017 12:00 AM.
Re: St. Thomas VS Tortola Charter? [Re: LocalSailor] #132321
06/10/2017 07:28 AM
06/10/2017 07:28 AM
Eastern MA
T
tothedogs Offline
Traveler
tothedogs  Offline
Traveler
T
Eastern MA
We have done more than 30 charters in the VI. After starting in the BVI for many years, we became frustrated by ferry schedules that are more like general guidelines and nearly missing a number of departing flights or last ferries due to incoming delays. We also wanted to see more of St. John.

There are two very good companies in St. Thomas, CYOA and Island Yachts (BVIYC has recently opened a small base in STT as well). We have used them both and plan to continue to do so (an upcoming charter in early July to the SVI from STT). Trying to compare boat prices is easier said than done. Most of the CYOA boats have AC, watermakers and ice makers. IYC only charters Island Packets. Neither of these are directly compatible to most of the BVI based fleets. If there is an extra cost, it is more than offset by the quality and equipment of the boats, not to mention savings on provisioning, ferry costs and the recently implemented increase in the cruising permit fee in the BVI.

C&I is no problem and takes about 15 minutes depending on if there are others ahead of you in line. Going into the BVI, we generally clear in at JVD and then go to White Bay or elsewhere on the island. On the way back to STT after a nice downwind sail from JVD or anywhere in the Drake, we clear in at Cruz Bay, have a good lunch and then continue to Hawksnest, Maho, or Christmas Cove for the last night before returning to Red Hook or CA.

If you want to spend some time on St. John, or go to the SVI, this is the way to go. If you want to spend all the time in the BVI, a Tortola start is probably better.

Re: St. Thomas VS Tortola Charter? [Re: CaptnAndy] #132322
06/10/2017 06:46 PM
06/10/2017 06:46 PM
Apex, NC
agrimsrud Offline
Traveler
agrimsrud  Offline
Traveler
Apex, NC
In case I'm one of the "tainted" owners I will state up front on the very first sentence that I'm a boat owner at CYOA.

Before being a boat owner I chartered both in BVI and then later out of St Thomas so I have experienced both. I obviously prefer St Thomas - many reasons for this. However - I think it would be silly of me to believe that you necessarily value the same things that I value. You indicate you have already chartered multiple times out of Tortola so you know what that's like. Give it a try out of St Thomas and compare the experience - I don't see how you possibly have anything to loose and you might find you like it. I did.

Life's short - sail more!
Re: St. Thomas VS Tortola Charter? [Re: agrimsrud] #132323
06/11/2017 06:26 PM
06/11/2017 06:26 PM
St. John, USVI
RickG Offline
Traveler
RickG  Offline
Traveler
St. John, USVI
Chartering on St. Thomas works for us because we prefer St. John and the SVIs to the BVIs. We love the BVIs too, but it costs more to go there and its crowded. The boat is just part of the cost - ferries, provisions, beach bars and restaurants are more expensive and the level of service is pretty challenged. There are some BVI deals out there - Leverick Bay, Anegada and anchorages without moorings. If cost is a driver, then provisioning on St. Thomas, eating some meals on the boat and hitting the National Park moorings in the pristine bays and free non-NPS anchorages around St. John is a big cost saver.

There are BVI spots we do not want to miss on a USVI/BVI trip. Sopers Hole is very close to Leinster Bay on St. John, and Jost Van Dyke is just a wee bit further for checking into the BVIs. Check in at Jost Van Dyke is generally easier. If you are on a charter boat, you can check in and out at the same time.

We voted with our wallet and own a private boat that we keep in French Town Marina on St. Thomas. Its the same marina as CYOA, ten minutes from the STT airport. In July we are taking De Life out for two weeks and week one will probably be the SVIs with week two a combination of St. John and the BVIs.

Cheers, RickG

S/V Echoes, 2003 Beneteau 423
Grenada
Re: St. Thomas VS Tortola Charter? [Re: RickG] #132324
06/11/2017 09:08 PM
06/11/2017 09:08 PM
S
StormJib Offline
Traveler
StormJib  Offline
Traveler
S
St. Thomas can be easier if you can find the boat you need for the dates you need. The downside of St. Thomas is when the wind and sea pipes up. The slog uphill towards the BVI can be long and hostile. We always charter the largest and newest boat we can find. If that boat is on ST. Thomas, we take St. Thomas.