Member Spotlight
Angelface
Angelface
Washington, DC/SXM
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
ecco, OceanDrop, vincent
Who's Online Now
34 registered members (ChiTownHarry, SeaLady29, Beansbbq, Kiles41, ColoBoater, Halcyon, Zanshin, Kathleen, RickinAtlanta, SXMScubaman, bailau, SURICK, OceanSong, JerseyPal, eightzerobits, CJIMI, CaribbeanCanadians, Donaegada, blooming, Fletch, cabokid, caribbeangirl13, timnboston, RickG, Fran, 9 invisible), 911 guests, and 61 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Trip Report Feb 4-16 #155419
02/21/2018 10:50 PM
02/21/2018 10:50 PM
Lake Norman, NC
EllenS Offline OP
Traveler
EllenS  Offline OP
Traveler
Lake Norman, NC
Hi All,
We are just back from 12 days on a Marine Max power cat. I want to hit our high points and answer some questions we have been reading on here.

First I would agree the people on every island, to a person, are happy, proud and excited to see you. Most of them either expressed their gratitude to having more than others they knew, just happy to be alive or proud of all they have accomplished in the clean-up. Everywhere on every island are signs of construction and cleanup.

There seems to be a lot of mooring questions. Our experience was Anegada was full on a Monday and Tuesday. Bars were busy, Wonky Dog had every table full. We went there for dinner one night and appetizers another. Ann at Cow Wreck was very busy. Big Bamboo was good and Anegada Beach Club is almost 100%. Their restaurants and beach bars are open and their tents are reopening.

Leverick was full as well. Beans was as full. They have done so much there. Construction was everywhere but not disruptive. i think they worked on the roof to the restaurant all through the show. We drove past all the other places in North Sound. Lots of good memories and sad to see.

Jost was slow. Little Harbor (our favorite) was sad. Strawberry is serving drinks and hopes to have her restaurant open at month end. Abes is open, rebuilding a concrete building and wants everyone to know he is open and serving dinner. Harris' was rubble. We were told she shows up on weekend to clean up but without the road in, it is a long way. We did not see Cynthia.

Great Harbor is active. Foxy's and Ali Baba's are open. A few other places are open as well. Corsairs is rebuilding quite a building. Mooring field was pretty empty.

White Bay was active. While the beach was stripped and cleaned up, it felt like it was really on the come back. The gift shop at Soggy Dollar was packed. We moored there overnight, i think there was a ball or 2 empty.

The Bight was busy, but not full. Pirates bar was busy and dinner was hopping. People waiting all over for tables. Deliverance was selling his wares that day.

Nanny Cay is quite a mix of comeback and sadness. We spent 2 nights on the dock there. The rebuilding is fabulous. New docks look great. Beach bar and Mulligans were hopping every night. On a downside there are so many boats there in all states of repair (or not) that it is hard to imagine the future of them. There are quite a few people working on boats in the yard, but so many more boats than people working now.

We provisioned with Riteway and it was perfect. Groceries were delivered to Scrub without a problem. Market at Trellis had great food and market is open. The rest of the beach is hard as it is strewn with boats. The Scrub deli is open (only with groceries no deli yet) and has a good selection.

We rented a car for 2 days due to wind and waves. We visited Nigel at Smugglers, Brewers, Went to Stout's lookout, Cane Garden, Roadtown and drove most of the North Shore. Nichole's was serving drinks and has rebuilt everything but his deck. He hopes to have his restaurant open shortly. The roads on the hills are all under repair. Either blacktop repair or clearing the mudslides. The sea level roads are still rough in spots. We took many a wrong turn and were always stopped and asked where were we going and directed back to the main road. Always with a smile. The inland homes/building have a longer way to go. There are many people who still are lacking. We did experience people talking about the next hurricane season and how they are not back from the last one.

Overall the charter areas are back more than we expected. We provisioned extra thinking meals would be harder to come by and left a lot of food on the boat. Fuel, shore power and water are the biggest changes I felt, but none of these brought us any problems, just different than usual. We had a great time and are happy we went. We are planning our return trip.

I think that is all, but I still have vacation brain,
Happy trip planning everyone,
Ellen

BVI Sponsors
Re: Trip Report Feb 4-16 [Re: EllenS] #155420
02/22/2018 07:26 AM
02/22/2018 07:26 AM
S
steve74 Offline
Traveler
steve74  Offline
Traveler
S
Thank you for this! We are headed down in June and reports such as this are encouraging. Did you get a sense of when Corsairs will open and if Soggy will be serving dinner soon?

Re: Trip Report Feb 4-16 [Re: steve74] #155422
02/22/2018 08:52 AM
02/22/2018 08:52 AM
Lake Norman, NC
EllenS Offline OP
Traveler
EllenS  Offline OP
Traveler
Lake Norman, NC
They are moving quickly on Corsairs, it is a great concrete structure right now with a lot of rebar, but no I didn't ask anyone on timing.

Soggy Dollar is serving appetizers until 6:30 I believe right now. They are calling it apps for dinner. No word on real dinner that I saw. Soggy looks great though, other than a bit barren, but the vibe was the same.
Ellen

Re: Trip Report Feb 4-16 [Re: EllenS] #155427
02/22/2018 10:05 AM
02/22/2018 10:05 AM
VIRGINIA
B
BEERMAN Offline
Traveler
BEERMAN  Offline
Traveler
B
VIRGINIA
Thank you for the detailed update! Especially how Little Harbour is doing. I have reached out to Strawberry, but have not heard back, have been concerned. She's an awesome lady and will succeed I'm positive of that! Sounds like you really made the rounds, did you notice any navigation hazards in the channels? and...do you have any photos you can share of the rebuilding progress? Cheers!

Re: Trip Report Feb 4-16 [Re: EllenS] #155429
02/22/2018 10:24 AM
02/22/2018 10:24 AM
dayhiker Offline
Traveler
dayhiker  Offline
Traveler
Thanks a bunch. That is great info.

Re: Trip Report Feb 4-16 [Re: EllenS] #155434
02/22/2018 12:01 PM
02/22/2018 12:01 PM
Lake Norman, NC
EllenS Offline OP
Traveler
EllenS  Offline OP
Traveler
Lake Norman, NC
Hello,
I will look to see if we have any pictures of rebuilding, I'm not sure we took many or any.

Strawberry was well, hanging tough and smiling. She sent her son to the US for high school. I have her sister Janet's contact info and she has been in contact if you want that. Strawberry will come down if you pull into Little Harbor to serve drinks only. She is working on her kitchen and doesn't want to open part way. She has some kitchen appliances in Puerto Rico (maybe?) working their way to her and she was hopeful to be open by the end of the month. She is opening the building and using the bar in there. She will eventually rebuild the bar portion. Abe will serve you dinner. His taxi is on Tortola getting some work done, but they can find you a ride if you need one.

the one thing I didn't mention was the condition of the hillside above Strawberry. It looks like they had a tornado in addition to the hurricane. It was one of the only places where I saw so much debris pushed up the hillside.

We did not notice any unmarked navigation hazards. Nanny Cay has plenty but is well marked. Most hazards are closer to the shorelines and are very visible. We did have a scare where our depth finder went on the blink and said zero out in the channel, we just went holy crap what are we going to hit! but it came back and all was well.

I'll look to see what pictures our group might have taken.