Member Spotlight
MrTim-BTV
MrTim-BTV
Essex Junction, VT
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online Now
43 registered members (SXMScubaman, charlie, Kmon, TC42, camview, KirkB, timnboston, Mbrott, SXMBND, xrayman67, cwoody, Fran, GeorgeC1, duke63, taraavo, Compskier, lcote, RatmansWife, Kennys, EdB, BSer, Kevin_B, biminis, jazzgal, SeeDiver, foreversxm, davidandsusannj, Reid, MKGrey, D_Pollack, ericlut, 12 invisible), 739 guests, and 78 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: If Club Orient was NOT there... [Re: Hdrdr911] #181783
01/24/2019 12:31 PM
01/24/2019 12:31 PM
Vermont
sxmmartini Offline OP
Traveler
sxmmartini  Offline OP
Traveler
Vermont
Originally Posted by Hdrdr911
Originally Posted by PelicanPirate
The CO beach is more important than the/a CO resort. That said I would like to see the resort get there ducks lined up and rebuilt.

Certainly agree that it would be great if Club O returned. We loved the convenience of staying at the Club however it left much to be desired in terms of guest service and amenities. The beds were awful. There were bright spots as well, some great employees, but there was a lot of room for improvement.
Cheers.

Everything will be new and improved! New beds, new furniture etc. I am so looking forward to the new and improved CO.

SXM Sponsors
Re: If Club Orient was NOT there... [Re: sxmmartini] #181868
01/25/2019 12:24 PM
01/25/2019 12:24 PM
The Villages, FL
deputydog1157 Offline
Traveler
deputydog1157  Offline
Traveler
The Villages, FL
Sorry this is so long.

Unfortunately we never stayed at Club O and it took us 15 years to actually stay on the island as a visitor to the island after numerous cruise visits. If Club O rebuilds before we are too old or dead we will stay there.

We had planned to go September 9th through the 16th 2017 for our 39th anniversary but a beeotch named Irma changed our plans. We decided to tempt fate again this past September for our 40th anniversary and it worked out great. We stayed in a VRBO condo on Billy Folly Road right on the water (villa Carisma). We were a little tentative about exploring too much because we were unfamiliar with the roads so we stayed mainly around the immediate area of Pelican.

We did make a trip to Philipsburg one day but didn't stay too long. We went to Back Street to try to find some local things rather than the typical tourist stuff that is all from China etc. It was very hot and Barbara was getting disgusted that all of the shops seemed to have the same things so we cut it short.

Another trip we made was to Orient Beach. Not knowing the roads I reached out to Elaine (BillandElaine) for directions and she gave me perfect guidance. We had been to the non-Club O section on our previous cruise visits but never the "Nekkid Beach" before. This trip was to get out of our comfort zone, more so for my wife than I. Well suffice it to say it was a no ships-in-port day on Monday, September 10th. We arrived so early the chain across the lot was still up so we parked in the taxi area behind what used to be Pedro's and walked to the Club O section as the guys were just starting to set up a few chairs. About 5 minutes later 2 other couples showed up (one couple was DonnDe from this forum and his wife).

It took us a minute to set up the chairs and put our towels and bags down. Not wanting to belabor the ultimate fear/anxiety of being nude outside in a public setting for the first time in my 61 years I just stripped down and walked into the water. I looked back and saw the love of my life, who had never been topless much less naked in her 65 years in public, suddenly take her top off and walk into the water. The other couples had already removed their clothes and we sitting on their chairs by this point. We stayed in the water a few minutes and then Barb walked back to her chair and to my surprise she removed her bottoms before lying on her chair. That was the beginning of our newfound freedom and neither of us felt awkward. A huge part of the reason was that the other 2 couples we met that day made us feel so welcome that we didn't even care that we were naked. DonnDe and his wife along with the other couple (real names not mentioned as I don't have their permission) were the epitome of the acceptance that we had read about on numerous blogs/articles about the non-judgmentalness of naturists. We stayed there a few hours until my fair Irish-heritage skin was getting more sun than I needed. As we were leaving and headed back to our condo Barb turned to me and said she had a great time and was shocked that after a few minutes she didn't care about being nude and actually forgot that she was. She said she wanted to make a return trip on Wednesday.

Wednesday came but the weather was rainy so we decided against going. Thursday came and the weather was better but not perfect. Thinking we'd have to cancel again I was afraid we wouldn't be able to have a return visit. Barbara looked at me and said "Let's have some breakfast and head out to Orient Beach." We ate something at the condo and we got ready to go to OB. I knew Barbara was OK with the idea of being naked on the beach because as she was getting dressed she put on just a t-shirt and gym shorts. I asked her if she was going to put her bathing suit on to which she replied. "Nope, not needed."

Enroute to the beach the skies were overcast but we saw spots of blue here and there. We arrived at the beach and parked behind the Perch Lite. When we arrived DonnDe, his wife, the other couple and few others had gathered under the covering because it had rained a few minutes earlier. DonnDe's wife had made some guacamole dip, which by the was fantastic, and offered some to all as we killed a few minutes waiting for the weather to cooperate. Ten minutes and a Presidente later, the ski was blue and chairs were being set up. Once we got settled in our chairs it was as if these folks were lifelong friends. We had numerous conversations and then others joined in. We had another couple from Florida take chairs next to us and there was a gentleman that was there also. Most of the folks had been at Club O and even though the description was that the resort was "rustic" there was nothing but positive reviews. We hated to leave but had made late lunch plans at the Buccaneer Beach Bar.

Barbara said she now sees that the convenience of the Club O resort could make for a great vacation because you could spend a week on vacation and only have to pack a carry on bag! The same outfit worn from home to the resort would be the same outfit worn home. No other clothing needed unless going off property. I hope they rebuild soon, we'd like to check a week at Club O off our bucket list.

[Linked Image]
Re: If Club Orient was NOT there... [Re: deputydog1157] #181871
01/25/2019 12:37 PM
01/25/2019 12:37 PM
Clearwater, FL
Biturbo Offline
Traveler
Biturbo  Offline
Traveler
Clearwater, FL
Great story. I hope you get to enjoy the experience and convenience of staying at Club Orient. It truly was a special place to us. Thanks.

I'm going where the weather suits my clothes.
Re: If Club Orient was NOT there... [Re: deputydog1157] #181887
01/25/2019 03:25 PM
01/25/2019 03:25 PM
Palm Beach County
jenniboston Offline
Traveler
jenniboston  Offline
Traveler
Palm Beach County
Welcome to the "club!"

clapping dance

Re: If Club Orient was NOT there... [Re: SXMScubaman] #181913
01/26/2019 09:17 AM
01/26/2019 09:17 AM
So. Shore MA.
jollymonsrv Offline
Traveler
jollymonsrv  Offline
Traveler
So. Shore MA.
Yes for Sure

Re: If Club Orient was NOT there... [Re: sxmmartini] #181916
01/26/2019 09:57 AM
01/26/2019 09:57 AM
New Smyrna Beach
OrientBeach_jimbeach Offline
Traveler
OrientBeach_jimbeach  Offline
Traveler
New Smyrna Beach
YES, I have been visiting the island for about 12 years but never stayed at the club, but I did eat there and had drinks at the bar. I used to stay at the nudist resorts in Lutz Fl. and got burnt out on going, maybe that is why it did not interest me. I do like the nude beach, but the French food is amazing as are the people. I have made many friends on the beach, chatting and playing volleyball. I would like to see Club O rebuilt. I actually have a nude beach practically in my back yard, which is Apollo (Canaveral National Seashore) and go there about 4-5 days per week and walk. I have never found an Island like St. Maarten in my travels.

Re: If Club Orient was NOT there... [Re: sxmmartini] #181922
01/26/2019 11:52 AM
01/26/2019 11:52 AM
JimCandD Offline
Traveler
JimCandD  Offline
Traveler
While we have not been back, it sounds like Club O is there. The buildings are not in working order but some of the clientele seems to have made it back and are enjoying what is there along with each other (Cedric, the Perch and the chairs. What won us over when we first got there was the people and the beach which are still there. We hope to make it if things work out. We appreciate the reports from people that have gone back anywhere on the island.

Re: If Club Orient was NOT there... [Re: JimCandD] #181928
01/26/2019 01:09 PM
01/26/2019 01:09 PM
Central Florida!
Carol_Hill Offline
Traveler
Carol_Hill  Offline
Traveler
Central Florida!
Club O was always more than just the buildings. It was always about the people and the beach. I do hope they are able to rebuild...

Carol Hill
Re: If Club Orient was NOT there... [Re: OrientBeach_jimbeach] #181929
01/26/2019 01:30 PM
01/26/2019 01:30 PM
P
PelicanPirate Offline
Traveler
PelicanPirate  Offline
Traveler
P
Ther are many places on the Earth, and some are very good, but no place, thus far, matches the south end of Orient Beach

Re: If Club Orient was NOT there... [Re: sxmmartini] #181931
01/26/2019 01:54 PM
01/26/2019 01:54 PM
S
SammyM Offline
Traveler
SammyM  Offline
Traveler
S
I think we're all in agreement regarding the importance of rebuilding Club O. But, in reality it sounds like it's going to take a while. After Irma I know there were folks who figured they'd return in the spring of 2019 after everything was wiped out on that fateful September day. I wasn't so sure based on how things work on the French side of SXM. But, whatever. As long as it comes back 'new and improved' one day that's the important thing. However, I would very much like to see Papagayo's rebuilt soon and expanded. I realize that there wouldn't be the steady flow of people around because the cabins aren't there (nor is Alamanda, etc.), but bringing back Papagayo's first would have many, many benefits.

But, it would need to be expanded from just a clothing optional sit down restaurant to something more. A large outdoor patio with a bar would be a must, and for those wanting to grab a bite inside the restaurant could be rebuilt with both clothing-optional and textile sides. Visitors to Orient Beach from cruise ships, etc. would be curious and many would give a place like this a try. Chair and umbrella rentals could the be added (Cedric?) and even a small gift shop. Then, when the resort returns some day more people will be familiar with the area and possibly consider staying here. The need to keep this area relevant and attractive to future generations could be enhanced by this. Heck, if they even wanted to change the name from 'Papagayo's' to something like the 'Club Orient Bar & Grille' I'd be okay with that!

Re: If Club Orient was NOT there... [Re: SammyM] #181935
01/26/2019 03:17 PM
01/26/2019 03:17 PM
Central Florida!
Carol_Hill Offline
Traveler
Carol_Hill  Offline
Traveler
Central Florida!
Sammy-Sorry, no, there will not be a clothing optional and textile side at any future rebuilt Club O. Club O has ALWAYS been clothing OPTIONAL, which means, OPTIONAL. You don't have to wear clothes. That's what it means.

Carol Hill
Re: If Club Orient was NOT there... [Re: sxmmartini] #181940
01/26/2019 04:11 PM
01/26/2019 04:11 PM
S
SammyM Offline
Traveler
SammyM  Offline
Traveler
S
Oh, I agree Carol. Very familiar with c/o approach! Just trying to think of anyone or any family that would prefer a 'textiled' approach. Although Papagayo's was always fairly crowded when we went there in the past, there's no question that some visitors stayed away because they didn't want to have lunch sitting at a table next to naked people. Of course, those people can eat and drink at places like Kontiki, Kakao, etc. Just trying to think of ways to bring the southern end of Orient Beach back to life. Whatever the plan, getting Papagayo's fixed and up-and-running again would be a real positive step. We'll be there in early March and I plan to walk through the 'ruins' of this place and try not to get too sad.

Re: If Club Orient was NOT there... [Re: SammyM] #181946
01/26/2019 04:38 PM
01/26/2019 04:38 PM
Ohio
ruralcarrier Offline
Traveler
ruralcarrier  Offline
Traveler
Ohio
Why does the term "textiles" continue to be used? Same with the term "nudies".

In an earlier post you stated: "clothing-optional and textile sides."

As Carol stated, clothing optional is clothing optional. Why is the term "textiles" ok for some? How about "textile optional" if you want to continue to use it?

J.D.
Re: If Club Orient was NOT there... [Re: sxmmartini] #181953
01/26/2019 05:03 PM
01/26/2019 05:03 PM
Clearwater, FL
Biturbo Offline
Traveler
Biturbo  Offline
Traveler
Clearwater, FL
I agree with Carol. I don't like the idea of a section where one couldn't go unless they were "clad". The rest of the island is like that, and as a true naturist's resort, it's what set Club Orient apart. As far as changing the name, it isn't Papagayo's, it's simply Papagayo. But, thanks for your input.

I'm going where the weather suits my clothes.
Re: If Club Orient was NOT there... [Re: sxmmartini] #181963
01/26/2019 06:13 PM
01/26/2019 06:13 PM
JimCandD Offline
Traveler
JimCandD  Offline
Traveler
In order to get Papagayo back the infrastructure would have to be there. I understand the electricity was demolished and other things not in working order. On a little different note, how does one get to the Perch Lite? Where can you park presently? Do you have to park where Pedro’s was?

Re: If Club Orient was NOT there... [Re: JimCandD] #181965
01/26/2019 06:21 PM
01/26/2019 06:21 PM
P
PelicanPirate Offline
Traveler
PelicanPirate  Offline
Traveler
P
You approach pedro’s (What’s left, nothing but some concrete) on the road to club O. The old wall thatnhidmclub Omfrommthe road is gone. You can park in the lot where Pedro’s was or you turn right before Pedro’s onto club O property and there is a large sand parking area right next to perch lite which is somewhat far off the waterline compared to pre-Irma. They try to keep cars parked close together to maximize spaces. The bathrooms are in this parking lot.

Re: If Club Orient was NOT there... [Re: SammyM] #181968
01/26/2019 06:50 PM
01/26/2019 06:50 PM
U
Uksimonusa Offline
Traveler
Uksimonusa  Offline
Traveler
U
Originally Posted by SammyM
Oh, I agree Carol. Very familiar with c/o approach! Just trying to think of anyone or any family that would prefer a 'textiled' approach. Although Papagayo's was always fairly crowded when we went there in the past, there's no question that some visitors stayed away because they didn't want to have lunch sitting at a table next to naked people. Of course, those people can eat and drink at places like Kontiki, Kakao, etc. Just trying to think of ways to bring the southern end of Orient Beach back to life. Whatever the plan, getting Papagayo's fixed and up-and-running again would be a real positive step. We'll be there in early March and I plan to walk through the 'ruins' of this place and try not to get too sad.

The South end of Orient Beach is already back to life and has been since the Perch Lite opened in November 17!

Re: If Club Orient was NOT there... [Re: SammyM] #182022
01/27/2019 11:33 AM
01/27/2019 11:33 AM
New Hampshire
H
Hdrdr911 Offline
Traveler
Hdrdr911  Offline
Traveler
H
New Hampshire
Originally Posted by SammyM
I think we're all in agreement regarding the importance of rebuilding Club O. But, in reality it sounds like it's going to take a while. After Irma I know there were folks who figured they'd return in the spring of 2019 after everything was wiped out on that fateful September day. I wasn't so sure based on how things work on the French side of SXM. But, whatever. As long as it comes back 'new and improved' one day that's the important thing. However, I would very much like to see Papagayo's rebuilt soon and expanded. I realize that there wouldn't be the steady flow of people around because the cabins aren't there (nor is Alamanda, etc.), but bringing back Papagayo's first would have many, many benefits.

But, it would need to be expanded from just a clothing optional sit down restaurant to something more. A large outdoor patio with a bar would be a must, and for those wanting to grab a bite inside the restaurant could be rebuilt with both clothing-optional and textile sides. Visitors to Orient Beach from cruise ships, etc. would be curious and many would give a place like this a try. Chair and umbrella rentals could the be added (Cedric?) and even a small gift shop. Then, when the resort returns some day more people will be familiar with the area and possibly consider staying here. The need to keep this area relevant and attractive to future generations could be enhanced by this. Heck, if they even wanted to change the name from 'Papagayo's' to something like the 'Club Orient Bar & Grille' I'd be okay with that!

Points are well taken but " a textile side " in the restuarant? Really ? Club O is a C/O resort. You are either comfortable with that or you can take advantage of the textile facilities which comprise the majority of the island. Cheers

If the phone doesn't ring .... it's me
Re: If Club Orient was NOT there... [Re: SammyM] #182040
01/27/2019 03:33 PM
01/27/2019 03:33 PM
Maine
SXMbeacher Offline
Traveler
SXMbeacher  Offline
Traveler
Maine
It was also mentioned in one of the early post Irma news letters from Club O, that Papagayo would not be rebuilt until they had rental units up and running to support it.

Re: If Club Orient was NOT there... [Re: sxmmartini] #182108
01/28/2019 12:47 PM
01/28/2019 12:47 PM
kcmo
K
kcbeach Offline
kcbeach  Offline
K
kcmo
I've read through a lot of the responses. Quick recap= "Yes we'd go back, St. Martin is SO wonderful; We're not CO'ers, so yes we'd go back; Great food, shopping, multicultural, great beaches, so yes we'd go back." In my opinion, there are LOTS of great beaches in the Caribbean, there are LOTS of different cultures in the Caribbean. There is also LOTS of shopping in the Caribbean. The one differentiator is St. Martin is the premiere CO destination in terms of number of beaches and accepting attitudes. If it weren't for that I would likely not return year after year, I would sample other islands. Now technically, the original post asked about Club Orient. I never chosen to stay there (overpriced, underly luxurious) but it will remain to be seen that IF Club Orient stays away, whether the prevailing attitudes on the island will change towards CO tourism. I always felt, Club Orient was the "leader" and most visible advocate for CO'ers. Without Club O, hopefully SXM will not discount the THOUSANDS of CO tourists who stay in timeshares and villas all over the island, many of whom visit beaches other than the one end of Orient.

Re: If Club Orient was NOT there... [Re: sxmmartini] #182712
02/01/2019 08:05 PM
02/01/2019 08:05 PM
E
eskimo888 Offline
Traveler
eskimo888  Offline
Traveler
E
Our first trip to SXM was back in 2005 we stayed at Mt Vernon didn’t even know what Club O was
Our first morning walking the beach we sure learned in a hurry
It truly was an eye opener and shock
Since we were there for three weeks we slowly made our way down to that end of the beach
Finally getting to the point might as well try it
The people were amazing a truly life changing experience and mental realignment
These people were not perverts and so on they were some of the nicest non judgmental people I’ve ever met
After several trips we finally stayed at Club O for the convenience and the fact I won’t drink and drive
We met some awesome people great staff and truly miss Club O
With it not being there we have traveled to other places we always wanted to go but we’re always drawn back because of the diversity of the island the double culture fantastic dining great great entertainment and great beaches and the one thing that sets SXM apart and above all the other islands one of the best nude beaches in the world
Would we return to SXM without Club O
Yes would it be as special no it will have lost a bit of it’s appeal
We actually stopped in there in January and drove around the island
stopping by Orient Beach
We both had tears in our eyes all day
We hope it all gets rebuilt asap

Re: If Club Orient was NOT there... [Re: sxmmartini] #182938
02/03/2019 06:24 PM
02/03/2019 06:24 PM
Edison, NJ
Allison731 Offline
Traveler
Allison731  Offline
Traveler
Edison, NJ
Of course I’d go, as we’re not basing the trip around the resort.

Not to mention, all I do naked is shower lol

Last edited by Allison731; 02/03/2019 06:25 PM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2