pat 42
Todd 40
jazzgal 40
Member Spotlight
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
LONGISLANDSHARON, Sca2la
Who's Online Now
4 registered members (MNsnowbird, Jeannius, 2 invisible), 1,024 guests, and 58 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Anegada Trip Report 2/24-3/1 #186159
03/04/2019 04:36 PM
03/04/2019 04:36 PM
Petoskey, MI
CottageGirl Offline OP
Traveler
CottageGirl  Offline OP
Traveler
Petoskey, MI
After multiple charter boat trips to the BVI’s, this was our first land based trip.

We flew Delta to STT (after overnighting in ATL) and then VI Airlink to Anegada. VI Airlink terminal is terminal 10 – you arrive in STT, exit security, collect your bags and head outside to terminal 10. There were just 4 of us on the flight over and it was pleasant and the views were breathtaking. I loved every minute of it!

I had pre-arranged a rental car with Dean Wheatley and he met us at the airport with the car. We headed to Cow Wreck to check into Ann’s Guest Cottages. We stayed in the “Breeze” cottage and it was wonderful. They are surprisingly large, very well appointed and decorated. They look exactly like the photos online. They are situated so that you can get a really nice cross breeze at night without using the AC. And since the beach bar closes at 6:00 pm, the nights are very quiet and peaceful. I would definitely stay here again. Ann and Andrew are amazing hosts and go out of their way to make you comfortable.

For the last two days/nights of our trip the island generator running the water plant went out. The next day, power went out to the whole island. The entire island was without water or power (except for those places that had their own private generator). Any other place this would have been horrible. But, you’re on an island, just how much power and water do you really need? Ha ha! Andrew hauled buckets of sea water to the cottages to use for flushing toilets and delivered a case of drinking water to each guest. On our last morning, we literally showered & washed our hair with bottled water. We’re still laughing about it now. 😊

Provisioning on Anegada was a little sparse – we hadn’t planned to make dinners in the cottage and we were just looking to pick up a few bottles of liquor, some breakfast items and snacks, and sunscreen, shampoo. Between Sun/Mon we found a few things at Lil Bits and Fun & Sun (closer to the ferry dock) and the tiny grocery in the Settlement. Enough to get by for the week.

Our first night we hadn’t arrived in time to make dinner reservations, but we were able to get a pizza at the bar at Neptunes and it was good. We had lunch at Cow Wreck a few times (conch ceviche and the lobster salad are both good, best conch fritters on the island, and Belle’s pies are delicious). We ate at Anegada Beach Club for lunch (lobster BLT is amazing) and dinner (lobster again!). We loved the food at ABC – it’s not waterfront dining but the food was excellent and the service was great. We had dinner 2 nights at Wonky Dog – I wish I could say we loved this as much as our last visits, but we didn’t. They seem to be rushing people through – we had barely been seated when our appetizer was placed in front of us, followed much too quickly with the rest of our dinner. It was just too rushed for us. They are not serving lunch yet and the upstairs was not open (as of 2/26). Our last night we had dinner at Anegada Reef Hotel – the lobster dinner was really quite good and their coconut shrimp was one of the best things we ate that week.

On our last day, we went on a snorkel and reef tour with Sherwin of Team Work Charters. This is an amazing trip! He runs 2 trips a day and only your group is on the tour – for us that meant just the 2 of us. He has quite the knowledge of the history of the island. We headed out to see the flamingos on the reefs and seeing the whole flock take flight is breathtaking. Then we headed to see the conch shell mounds. After that we anchored in two different spots near reefs and snorkeled. Sherwin caught a few lobster – with us helping to coax them out! We pulled a few conch from the ocean floor and on board Sherwin showed us how to remove the conch meat, clean it and then he made fresh conch ceviche which we at right on the spot. The tour is about 4 hrs and is $100 – I highly recommend it, as it was my favorite day on the island.

The return flight via VI Airlink was smooth and uneventful. Just the 2 of us on this flight – it felt like a private charter. We arrived at STT with a bit of time before our flight home. Took a taxi to Hook, Line & Sinker but they weren’t open yet (it was 10:30 am) so we headed to the Petite Pump Room for some lunch and one last pain killer.

It was a different vacation from our sailing trips, but we loved it just the same and would definitely spend a week on Anegada again.

BVI Sponsors
Re: Anegada Trip Report 2/24-3/1 [Re: CottageGirl] #186165
03/04/2019 04:58 PM
California
Sunnykm Offline
Traveler
Sunnykm  Offline
Traveler
California
Awesome detailed report! I’ve been giving a land based vacation more and more thought recently and you have given us more reason to consider this a great choice.

Karen

Re: Anegada Trip Report 2/24-3/1 [Re: CottageGirl] #186166
C
Christo Offline
Traveler
Christo  Offline
Traveler
C
Originally Posted by CottageGirl

For the last two days/nights of our trip the island generator running the water plant went out. The next day, power went out to the whole island. The entire island was without water or power (except for those places that had their own private generator). Any other place this would have been horrible. But, you’re on an island, just how much power and water do you really need? Ha ha! Andrew hauled buckets of sea water to the cottages to use for flushing toilets and delivered a case of drinking water to each guest. On our last morning, we literally showered & washed our hair with bottled water. We’re still laughing about it now. 😊

This! Exactly the kind of thing that makes the BVI such a special place. Laid back, simple, chilled. No power? No problem. No water? Go for a swim. I hope there are still a good few more years left before they completely 'pave paradise'! So many places already that have lost the island vibe. Anegada has always been our favourite spot...but even more so these days as it seems to be clinging on quite successfully to what makes the BVI so completely and perfectly opposite to what our normal day-to-day busy lives are like.

Thanks for sharing CottageGirl!

Re: Anegada Trip Report 2/24-3/1 [Re: CottageGirl] #186177
03/04/2019 06:17 PM
03/04/2019 06:17 PM
Washington DC
B
bailau Offline
Traveler
bailau  Offline
Traveler
B
Washington DC
Thanks for the great report...One day I want to do what you did and just sit and watch the world go by...

Re: Anegada Trip Report 2/24-3/1 [Re: CottageGirl] #186207
03/05/2019 09:21 AM
03/05/2019 09:21 AM
Kannapolis, NC
ndfaninnc Offline
Traveler
ndfaninnc  Offline
Traveler
Kannapolis, NC
CottageGirl, I am so not surprised Andrew would haul water to you guys. He and Ann are such great hosts. We feel at home every time we go. Agree that provisions are sparse. If you plan to cook, you may want to consider shipping food in. Otherwise, there is just enough to get by. Sherwin's tour is as you described. He is very knowledgeable and his ceviche is really good. As with you he taught us how to remove the meat. So cool! We have stayed on Anegada 4 times post hurricanes. At least once or twice each of those weeks we were without water and power. As Christo stated above, that makes the BVI a special place. If the power is out, we go swimming or drive around the island. So glad you had a great time on my favorite island. We will go again in May. Then do our first sail in November. One last thing, the flight approaching Anegada is one of my favorite moments of the trip.

Go Irish!!

Bill

[Linked Image]