Member Spotlight
ameless
ameless
Washington State
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
bvibev, jimma4191
Who's Online Now
32 registered members (Steve27, marybeth, lcote, SXMScubaman, Whale Tail, RatmansWife, Kennys, jagmansr, Colour1, CaribbeanCanadians, Swifty, Reid, Fitzhughlaw, Deepcut, MKGrey, GaryC, Zanshin, Instigator, JandIrene, Husker, Bernd, 11 invisible), 813 guests, and 72 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Letter from Flamingo HOA #188502
03/24/2019 12:08 PM
03/24/2019 12:08 PM
Auburn, WA
SXMScubaman Online content OP
Traveler
SXMScubaman  Online Content OP
Traveler
Auburn, WA
Dear Flamingo Beach Resort Timeshare Owners, I want to take a few minutes of your time to give you an overview of the renovations and issues at Flamingo Beach Resort, our 'home away from home'. As I read posts on Face Book, and hear comments at meetings, the bottom line is always personal and why not, we all see things from our own viewpoints and emotions as to how something will affect us. Simply, if there are personal issues, they are addressed, but in this case, maybe understanding the parts of the whole, it might answer the 'why' many have about the Resort.

We all know what happened to St Maarten in the wake of Hurricane Irma in September 6, 2017. At first blush, after an inspection of Flamingo, it would seem to most, just file the paperwork for an insurance claim, have the adjusters come out and do their assessment, move forward with determining the financials and begin the clean up. This journey started out similarly, however Diamond Resorts went the whole nine yards and more. Diamond and Flamingo management were sensitive to its employees, continued to pay them the rest of 2017, allowed them to have salvageable items from the damaged resort (which wasn't much). They went through the government prescribed steps to lay off the remaining employees the beginning of 2018; paying them severance, working with them to create amicable agreements so if they want to return to Flamingo upon its reopening, they would have an option to do so and making sure all St Maarten laws, regulations, timelines, etc. were adhered to.

By no means is this endeavor something Diamond Resorts took lightly. Diamond worked with and continue to work with engineers and architects, project managers and advisors - for construction, financials, Human Resources, etc., to put together a 'living' plan, a blueprint, to move forward - doing so within the guidelines of the government to be sure the new Resort would be in total compliance, as well as insurable for years to come. Diamond representatives needed to determine what guidelines to follow, that of the United States as a US based company, or to rebuild according to Dutch code. In fact, representatives researched as far as Holland to decide what was best for Flamingo. Dutch code is what the engineers, architects and others agreed on and following and had to literally start from scratch with plans since the original structure was designed according to US and Dutch standards when it was first constructed or renovated over the years.

During all of this, many Owners have questioned why it is taking longer than other resorts on the island to be completed and open for business. Simply, Diamond is looking to make its property in St Maarten a showcase of the Caribbean, someplace where Owners can proudly say is theirs. To rebuild a sustainable resort and do so the right way. No politics involved. No short cuts. By the books!

To 'band-aid' fix the damage of the resort would be throwing good money after bad. Total demolition of the interior, the roof, windows, doors was deemed vital to the success of the reconstruction of the buildings. Diamond did not want to just install new sheetrock then find out at some point down the road there is mold growing behind it. The insurance company concurred and have been working with Diamond to make things right.

Hiring workers is not all that simple, in fact there are workers hired from the island as well as bringing workers in from off-island. There is a domino effect to the work that has been ongoing as well as going forward. All of the trades cannot work at the same time, i.e., carpenters, electricians, plumbers, etc. first steps need to go first; demolition, then removal of the debris. Plans, permits, drawings, etc., need to be followed. Because the work is on an island, the appropriate materials aren't always easily accessible and need to be imported. All the while, Diamond is following Dutch protocol, they are doing it the right way. So while it seems an arduously long time to have this project completed, it is and will be something we are all going to be happy with.

Fortunately, because of the prudent handling of Flamingo's finances, Owners did not have to pay a maintenance fee for 2018. The Reserve account had enough funding to cover the insurance deductible and carry the expenses through 2018. Owners were able to bank their 2018 week(s) as well as 2017 week(s) if affected from Irma. Diamond availed their Destination Exchange program to the Owners so we could still enjoy time to get away.

Recently we received our Maintenance Fee bill for 2019. It is approximately half of what is normally paid. What it covers is operating expenses of the Resort not covered by the insurance such as Owner mailing costs, Owner meeting costs, bank charges, credit card charges and Audit fees; as well as Insurance annual fees and Reserve. Sure Flamingo is not up and running for our pleasure, but be assured, our Resort will win this race in the long run.

I wanted to share some of the inner machinations Diamond Resorts and Flamingo are dealing with. Hopefully, I offered an overview as to why the lengthy delay to getting back in our rooms. No, Diamond is not trying to get rid of Owners as many have indicated. Sure the Trust is the way timeshares have morphed, however it is like so many other things, the point system appeals to a different group of people, those who like to move around, see other destinations, unlike many of us who were and are happy with our 'home away from home'.

The Flamingo Beach HOA Board of Directors will be discussing these issues and others at the General Membership meeting on Wednesday, May 22, 2019, noon at Simpson Bay Resort. We are waiting for Mervin to receive the information/link for the block of rooms SBR is going to put aside for us. SBR also indicated they would offer Owners a discount as well, for that time. As soon as it is received, it will be sent to you.

In the meantime, please think about issues you might want addressed at the meeting so we can put them on the Agenda or just address them at the meeting. If you wish to contact me, or if you have any questions, please private message me here on FaceBook. I will recap the meeting and get the information to you if you are unable to attend.

Dorothy Albero
Flamingo Beach Resort HOA
Secretary/Treasurer

SXM Sponsors
Re: Letter from Flamingo HOA [Re: SXMScubaman] #188510
03/24/2019 01:19 PM
03/24/2019 01:19 PM
Eastern NC, N Topsail Beach
S
SXMFOX Offline
Traveler
SXMFOX  Offline
Traveler
S
Sounds promising!

Re: Letter from Flamingo HOA [Re: SXMFOX] #188513
03/24/2019 01:31 PM
03/24/2019 01:31 PM
Central Florida!
Carol_Hill Offline
Traveler
Carol_Hill  Offline
Traveler
Central Florida!
Sounds like BS to me. Do some research regarding Diamond in general and how many class action suits are pending against them for deceptive trade practices, and independent evaluations of their confidence meter as a trusted company. It's all BS. There are virtually NO WORKERS at either place, RIGHT now. You can hardly get anything done if there are no workers working, which is the same that it has been, for months and months. Oh, and nice little switcheroo by Diamond, changing the HOA meeting, after announcing one date, so that hopefully not many disgruntled owners will show up. Of course, Diamond controls the board of the HOA anyway, so don't expect anything to happen at the HOA meeting.

Carol Hill
Re: Letter from Flamingo HOA [Re: Carol_Hill] #188524
03/24/2019 03:15 PM
03/24/2019 03:15 PM
Ohio
ruralcarrier Offline
Traveler
ruralcarrier  Offline
Traveler
Ohio
As I stated in another post, there were as many visible workers at Lee's as there was at Royal Palm and this would be 3-4. Flamingo may have had more and it appeared they had some temporary housing there also. Lots of cars parking in the few spaces on Billy Folly so there must be some workers somewhere.

We did see minimal progress at Royal Palm with exterior siding going up on 5th floor rooms and some concrete being poured on the 2nd floor. There were only 3-5 cars parked in the lot each day so you can kind of figure the number or workers and security was not a great number. One whole owner I talked to had nothing kind to say about Diamond Resorts.

I seriously doubt any HOA has much, if any, clout with Diamond. As long as people send $$$, Diamond is happy.

J.D.
Re: Letter from Flamingo HOA [Re: Carol_Hill] #188534
03/24/2019 04:06 PM
03/24/2019 04:06 PM
Auburn, WA
Traveler
Traveler
Auburn, WA
I'm glad they changed that date as now we will be able to attend it.

Re: Letter from Flamingo HOA [Re: SXMScubaman] #188535
03/24/2019 04:25 PM
03/24/2019 04:25 PM
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
islandgem Offline
Traveler
islandgem  Offline
Traveler
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
That is an interesting letter and I hope it has explained some of the things people were talking about. I have no horse in this race but I have exchanged into Flamingo Resort a few times and was always happy with the resort. Only time will tell what the actual results will be, but it does sound like a beautiful resort will rise again and this will be good for the island bringing more tourists in to improve the economy. No mention of Royal Palm which may have different problems to solve.

Re: Letter from Flamingo HOA [Re: islandgem] #188536
03/24/2019 04:26 PM
03/24/2019 04:26 PM
Auburn, WA
Traveler
Traveler
Auburn, WA
They have a different HOA. This one is only for Flamingo.

Re: Letter from Flamingo HOA [Re: SXMScubaman] #188544
03/24/2019 04:44 PM
03/24/2019 04:44 PM
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
islandgem Offline
Traveler
islandgem  Offline
Traveler
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
OK Thanks.

Re: Letter from Flamingo HOA [Re: SXMScubaman] #188692
03/25/2019 07:06 PM
03/25/2019 07:06 PM
S
SXMFOX Offline
Traveler
SXMFOX  Offline
Traveler
S
Ok Carol, I was responding with my comment as the glass is half full. I have no dog in this fight and feel sorry for folks that do. That being said, I will never understand why folks get drawn into timeshare, ITS JUST TIME. Unless you build it, ITS NOT YOURS, the ONLY ownership is TIME. We normally rent large villas (5000 to 8000 sq ft) just for the two of us, until we started following your trip reports about BSV and frankly have not looked back! Soooo, thanks Carol.

Back to my original thought. Since staying at BSV after Irma, we have often looked across the bay and wounded why no work was going on over there. We even drove over there one day just to look. That place was hammered by the storm, like most were. It is just so strange that NO work is being done over there. It is also funny that the we’re considering to build back to USA codes or Netherlands codes! And all the time spend making that decision is a joke! Building codes are NOT transferable from one Country to another! However, if the they wanted to UPGRADE the building, that’s on their dime, which falls on ALL of the owners of TIME.

Now this is just my opinion, so everyone please be nice. We love all of y’all advice, and reports, but just have a slanted opinion of TIME share.

Re: Letter from Flamingo HOA [Re: SXMFOX] #188701
03/25/2019 08:10 PM
03/25/2019 08:10 PM
Central Florida!
Carol_Hill Offline
Traveler
Carol_Hill  Offline
Traveler
Central Florida!
SXMFox--you're welcome, with regard to BSV... toast

As far as Flamingo and Royal Palm, yes, I believe it is in Diamond's best interest, somehow, to NOT open those resorts. Supposedly they are getting paid insurance money now, for loss of use or whatever it's called. And in the meantime, timeshare 'owners' are being charged at least partial maintenance fees, and receive nothing for it. It figures that Diamond wants a lot of fixed week owners to either transfer to points, or just surrender their units altogether. And RUMORS are that there will also be large one time assessments, for those who continue to hang on and take the blows from Diamond.. Never really been tempted by timeshare, certainly not now, with everything that has gone on, in the last five years.

Carol Hill
Re: Letter from Flamingo HOA [Re: SXMScubaman] #188706
03/25/2019 09:04 PM
03/25/2019 09:04 PM
S
SXMFOX Offline
Traveler
SXMFOX  Offline
Traveler
S
It is strange “just me talking”, that no TIME SHARE OWNERS have jumped into this conversation. Next time we are staying in BSV, we will just take EVERYTHING out, trash it, and go furnish OUR unit in the way we like it, OR if fits OUR needs. You see how ridiculous that’s sounds? Do you know what TRACEY and Drew would do to us! Lol

Just joking, we would never do that to them, OR could we. We love them to death! BSV is more than likely, the best and most convenient place to stay on the island!! Thanks Carol!!

Re: Letter from Flamingo HOA [Re: SXMFOX] #188725
03/26/2019 09:00 AM
03/26/2019 09:00 AM
Central Florida!
Carol_Hill Offline
Traveler
Carol_Hill  Offline
Traveler
Central Florida!
SXMFox--Scubaman owns timeshare at Flamingo. Regarding replacing furnishings timeshare 'owners' can't do that either and they don't try, so I'm not sure what you're trying to convey.

Carol Hill
Re: Letter from Flamingo HOA [Re: Carol_Hill] #188736
03/26/2019 10:44 AM
03/26/2019 10:44 AM
Auburn, WA
Traveler
Traveler
Auburn, WA
" And RUMORS are that there will also be large one time assessments, for those who continue to hang on and take the blows from Diamond.."
And that is how RUMORS get started. There has never been any talk from Diamond, Flamingo management or Flamingo HOA of any impending or future special assessment. Only some disgruntles speculation there might be some. With no dog in this fight you sure have a lot to say about it. But lets state facts and not perpetuate rumors.

Re: Letter from Flamingo HOA [Re: SXMScubaman] #188737
03/26/2019 10:46 AM
03/26/2019 10:46 AM
Central Florida!
Carol_Hill Offline
Traveler
Carol_Hill  Offline
Traveler
Central Florida!
We shall see what we will see with Diamond, but people who trust what Diamond tells them are bound to be disappointed.

Carol Hill
Re: Letter from Flamingo HOA [Re: Carol_Hill] #188738
03/26/2019 11:10 AM
03/26/2019 11:10 AM
Auburn, WA
Traveler
Traveler
Auburn, WA
That's your opinion. I am confident that we will be very satisfied with the remodel and reconstruction of the Flamingo and am willing to wait for the reopening. I plan on attending the meeting May 22nd while I'm there and will be staying within a stones throw of the Flamingo and will get a first hand look at what is going on.

Re: Letter from Flamingo HOA [Re: SXMScubaman] #188739
03/26/2019 11:12 AM
03/26/2019 11:12 AM
Maryland/DC Metro
BeachKitten Offline
Traveler
BeachKitten  Offline
Traveler
Maryland/DC Metro
Scuba, what are your dates?

"It is good to do nothing all day, and then to rest" wink
Re: Letter from Flamingo HOA [Re: BeachKitten] #188740
03/26/2019 11:15 AM
03/26/2019 11:15 AM
Auburn, WA
Traveler
Traveler
Auburn, WA
May 11 - June 1

Re: Letter from Flamingo HOA [Re: SXMScubaman] #188742
03/26/2019 11:27 AM
03/26/2019 11:27 AM
Ohio
ruralcarrier Offline
Traveler
ruralcarrier  Offline
Traveler
Ohio
How many and who are the board members of the Flamingo HOA?

J.D.
Re: Letter from Flamingo HOA [Re: ruralcarrier] #188747
03/26/2019 11:46 AM
03/26/2019 11:46 AM
Auburn, WA
Traveler
Traveler
Auburn, WA
Not sure. Good thing for you to search out. Let me know what you come up with.

Re: Letter from Flamingo HOA [Re: SXMScubaman] #188754
03/26/2019 12:13 PM
03/26/2019 12:13 PM
Ohio
ruralcarrier Offline
Traveler
ruralcarrier  Offline
Traveler
Ohio
Originally Posted by SXMScubaman
Not sure. Good thing for you to search out. Let me know what you come up with.

As an astute "owner" I would think you would want to know this yourself and would have already done the research.

If what I read a month or so ago is true, I would not admit knowing either. If the below is true, you guys are SOL.

" There are only 3 board members and 2 of them work for diamond." AND " Apparently the developer owns a large portion of the weeks at the flamingo." AND "Truth is Diamond controls 60 + % of the votes for only 3 Board members .Fixed week owners can speak but have no control over upper management decisions."

J.D.
Re: Letter from Flamingo HOA [Re: ruralcarrier] #188759
03/26/2019 12:53 PM
03/26/2019 12:53 PM
Auburn, WA
Traveler
Traveler
Auburn, WA
And is this from a reliable source or from a Facebook post someone conjured up? I know you have a thing against Diamond, specifically Flamingo & Royal Palm, but I'll say it again. Post reliable facts not someone else conjured up theories. Not sure why you bothered to stay at these places if you dislike them so much.

Re: Letter from Flamingo HOA [Re: SXMScubaman] #188779
03/26/2019 03:48 PM
03/26/2019 03:48 PM
W
WLE Offline
Traveler
WLE  Offline
Traveler
W
What Dorothy wrote is almost identical to what Diamond has been trying to convince us into believing for the past six months.
Is she really an owner, it sounds like she works for Diamond. Three years ago I was a candidate for the HOA board and had the
backing of most of the owners that owned weeks 2 through 12, that I had met while staying there. And that was a lot of proxy votes.
But needless to say I was not elected nor were the other candidates which were probably more qualified than I.
It didn't actually matter because as stated buy others, Diamond own the biggest share of the weeks and votes.

Re: Letter from Flamingo HOA [Re: WLE] #188786
03/26/2019 04:40 PM
03/26/2019 04:40 PM
Maryland/DC Metro
BeachKitten Offline
Traveler
BeachKitten  Offline
Traveler
Maryland/DC Metro
HOA seems like a misnomer in this situation. Would they not be TOA's?

"It is good to do nothing all day, and then to rest" wink
Re: Letter from Flamingo HOA [Re: SXMScubaman] #188787
03/26/2019 04:42 PM
03/26/2019 04:42 PM
Ohio
ruralcarrier Offline
Traveler
ruralcarrier  Offline
Traveler
Ohio
Originally Posted by SXMScubaman
And is this from a reliable source or from a Facebook post someone conjured up? I know you have a thing against Diamond, specifically Flamingo & Royal Palm, but I'll say it again. Post reliable facts not someone else conjured up theories. Not sure why you bothered to stay at these places if you dislike them so much.

I NEVER said I disliked either of the two places and have stayed at Flamingo 2-3 times and Royal Palm more times than I can count and in many different units. What I posted is from an "OWNER", just like you, so it has to be reliable...RIGHT? You seem to think facebook is the gospel so not sure why you would question what another owner might post there, here or anywhere?

If 2 of the 3 board members work for Diamond Resorts, what kind of FAIR board is that?

J.D.
Re: Letter from Flamingo HOA [Re: ruralcarrier] #188791
03/26/2019 04:53 PM
03/26/2019 04:53 PM
Auburn, WA
Traveler
Traveler
Auburn, WA
No, I don't believe Facebook is the gospel, Jeff Berger case in point, and some owners don't know much but what they hear from others that don't know much. I guess my feeling that you don't like Diamond or Flamingo and Royal Palm is the constant criticism that you give towards them.

Re: Letter from Flamingo HOA [Re: SXMScubaman] #188815
03/27/2019 01:17 AM
03/27/2019 01:17 AM
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
islandgem Offline
Traveler
islandgem  Offline
Traveler
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
These timeshare discussions are worse than a discussion on politics !! If timeshare owners are happy with their timeshare, I fail to see why non- owners are so concerned about the decision of others. I have owned a timeshare for 25 years on St. Maarten, but rarely enter into these so called discussions, as they often turn into personal attacks which I find very annoying. Thankfully my timeshare was the first to be up and running on the island after Irma. We purchased it because it was the only timeshare on the island built to withstand a cat 5 hurricane and it has proved to withstand a few bad ones over the years. I think we all need to be kind and respect the decision of others whether we agree or not. Scubaman, it might be best to refrain from posting some of the timeshare information you know to be correct to avoid being always questioned on the validity.Hopefully you will be able to enjoy many more years vacationing at the new and improved Flamingo Resort.

Re: Letter from Flamingo HOA [Re: islandgem] #188822
03/27/2019 07:04 AM
03/27/2019 07:04 AM
Hershey, Pennsylvania
Tom Offline
Traveler
Tom  Offline
Traveler
Hershey, Pennsylvania
I think the "voice of reason" has spoken. Agree to disagree and move on?

Re: Letter from Flamingo HOA [Re: SXMScubaman] #188829
03/27/2019 08:23 AM
03/27/2019 08:23 AM
Portland, OR
jazzgal Offline
Traveler
jazzgal  Offline
Traveler
Portland, OR
I don't see why Scubaman should have to refrain from posting accurate information.

[Linked Image]
Re: Letter from Flamingo HOA [Re: jazzgal] #188857
03/27/2019 10:44 AM
03/27/2019 10:44 AM
Auburn, WA
Traveler
Traveler
Auburn, WA
Originally Posted by jazzgal
I don't see why Scubaman should have to refrain from posting accurate information.

Thank you.

Re: Letter from Flamingo HOA [Re: jazzgal] #188871
03/27/2019 11:40 AM
03/27/2019 11:40 AM
Central Florida!
Carol_Hill Offline
Traveler
Carol_Hill  Offline
Traveler
Central Florida!
I guess that's the question--whether it IS accurate information or just PR authored by Diamond. Flamingo and Royal Palm deserve better than to be managed by those characters at Diamond.

Carol Hill
Re: Letter from Flamingo HOA [Re: Carol_Hill] #188873
03/27/2019 11:49 AM
03/27/2019 11:49 AM
Ohio
ruralcarrier Offline
Traveler
ruralcarrier  Offline
Traveler
Ohio
Oddly, some of the terms being used by members of a Flamingo/Royal Palm Timeshare Owners group are less than glowing with regards to Diamond Resorts.

J.D.
Re: Letter from Flamingo HOA [Re: ruralcarrier] #188875
03/27/2019 11:55 AM
03/27/2019 11:55 AM
Auburn, WA
Traveler
Traveler
Auburn, WA
Yes. There are some disgruntled posters on that group and some that are willing to wait for a better and improved resort. Just have to pick your poison. Looks like you have.