Member Spotlight
Matt W
Matt W
Houston, TX
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
beach_dhays, Cobalt, HikeNYCParks, KVR, Twanger
Who's Online Now
34 registered members (MikeBiondo, MichaelBiondo, toast, CJIMI, taraavo, onlymedication, mscottc, Beansbbq, xrayman67, JeanneB, Brent, road3682, Jspoone, Manpot, dennis623, Fitzhughlaw, Zanshin, timnboston, SXMScubaman, PML, George1234, KirkB, davidandsusannj, MKGrey, 10 invisible), 644 guests, and 84 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Picking Up Crew Part 2 #204708
09/17/2019 10:36 AM
09/17/2019 10:36 AM
West Chester, PA
ligot Offline OP
Traveler
ligot  Offline OP
Traveler
West Chester, PA
So I liked the idea of picking up crew on St John but didn't want to hijack Ugo's thread and I had a few questions specific to that option.

1) existing crew check out of BVI and into Cruz Bay. Is there an app for check in? Swear I saw that mentioned before. Existing crew will be on a bareboat out of Tortola.
2) new crew arrives STT and ferries to SJ. How late to the ferries go? Is it the same limitations as going to BVI?
3) so far no immigration impact for new crew, correct? They just disembark ferry and all is good.
4) crews meet up, rum follows blah blah blah. Let's assume a couple of nights around SJ.
5) Can all crew now check out on an app? Do we all need to return to Cruz Bay?
6) Return to BVI to check in at Jost, Road Town or somewhere else.

Sorry if this has all been covered. We've always done the normal ferry to Road Town or flight to EIS. We've never done customs on boat.

Dave

S/V Tortuga
Lagoon 46
[Linked Image]
BVI Sponsors
Re: Picking Up Crew Part 2 [Re: ligot] #204728
09/17/2019 11:19 AM
09/17/2019 11:19 AM
Ohio
jagmansr Offline
Traveler
jagmansr  Offline
Traveler
Ohio
Here’s my experience. First, our boat is registered with home land security and has the necessary annual sticker (number on sticker) is needed with the ROAM apt. You don’t need to check out of the USVI.
Regarding checking back into the BVI. When we check out of the BVI, I have filled out a form that names the boat AND ALL the people on board. This form has multiple copies. We keep 3 copies and then return them when we return. We do fill out the individual small forms for each person but I don’t know what happens if there’s a change of names on that form. Bear in mind when we check out of the BVI onboard our cat for a short visit to St Johns we don’t pay the required $20 per person departing fee because we are all listed as returning and then pay that fee when we finally leave on a ferry. I’d be very clear about your intentions with BVI customs when you leave just so you have no surprises when you return. They can be a pain if they want to be especially if things are out of the ordinary. We always check back in at West End and check out at Great Harbor.

Re: Picking Up Crew Part 2 [Re: ligot] #204731
09/17/2019 11:38 AM
09/17/2019 11:38 AM
Maine
Breeze Offline
Traveler
Breeze  Offline
Traveler
Maine

(1) you check out of BVI, check in at Cruz. ROAM app doesn't work for you unless the boat itself is registered, ask your charter company, but I'm assuming no. I love to be surprised, though. You may request ( have some coin change for this purchase) the form you need to fill out on return.

(2)your crew arrives and ferries to Cruz, I think the last passenger ferry leaves Red Hook @ 11 pm. Car ferries stop way earlier than that.

(3) you leave the US when you want, there is no check-out

(4)you check back into the the BVI at Jost or West End. Make sure you have ALL your former BVI paperwork so any fees are calculated correctly based on the new crew only. The charter company paperwork will show what you paid for the assorted cruising fees based on the original arriving crew. Many folks have said that this process goes easier at Jost.

Re: Picking Up Crew Part 2 [Re: ligot] #209966
11/26/2019 09:03 PM
11/26/2019 09:03 PM
Georgia & South Carolina
D
Deepcut Offline
Traveler
Deepcut  Offline
Traveler
D
Georgia & South Carolina
Roam requires Boat to be register. Has worked well for me on multiple visits.

Checking out of BVI (JVD is good), list "crew".

Returning, fill out individual forms and the boat papers,...
Crew "Not on Board", strike thru the name (single line and write "NOB" to left side.
New Crew... Write their info on lines (Usually enough below original crew).

Captain can check all in .

"What time did you arrive in BVI?" KNOW what time C&I office opens and arrive in BVI waters AFTER that time as otherwise you will get "After hours" Charge.

Really not a big deal.

Wes
s/v Sea Tiger (2022 Lagoon 46)
www.BareBoatBVI.com