Member Spotlight
RickinAtlanta
RickinAtlanta
Woodstock, GA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
ecco, OceanDrop, vincent
Who's Online Now
33 registered members (ericlut, SXMBND, Kennys, eightzerobits, bailau, CaribbeanCanadians, jazzgal, BHK, JohnandBev, blooming, jenniboston, Tonythepilot, mark37, nevar37, Halcyon, SXMScubaman, steve74, TRIM, tradewinds, sugarae, 13 invisible), 965 guests, and 63 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Staying At Nanny Cay Resort? #226691
05/17/2020 05:29 PM
05/17/2020 05:29 PM
Chicagoland
A. Locker Offline OP
Traveler
A. Locker  Offline OP
Traveler
Chicagoland
My wife and I had a fantastic trip to Tortola in February. We want to take our 3 young boys next year but we decided a remote villa like the last trip wouldn't be great with the kids. We chartered a day sail out of Nanny Cay and spent some time there before and after and liked the vibe.

Any input on staying at the resort for a week? We like the fact that there are multiple food options within walking distance, pool, beach. We also plan to do multiple day sail charters which would be great right out of the marina. I see some of reviews on line but like a lot of internet reviews, they seem very polarized.

Any input good or bad is greatly appreciated. Fingers crossed the re-opening goes smoothly!!!!

BVI Sponsors
Re: Staying At Nanny Cay Resort? [Re: A. Locker] #226694
05/17/2020 07:01 PM
05/17/2020 07:01 PM
Memphis, BVI, CT
R
RatmansWife Offline
Traveler
RatmansWife  Offline
Traveler
R
Memphis, BVI, CT
We have not stayed there, but we shop and eat there fairly often. We have friends who live there and other friends who stay there since Irma destroyed their house. It's a convenient choice and the Riteway, while small, is adequate if you're not too fussy.

My question is, if you're doing several daysails, why don't you just charter a boat? Many people here can give advice on sailing with small children. They all love it. Charter a boat with a captain couple and you and your wife can really enjoy the vacation.

What are your dates? Christmas/New Years is high season, but I'm guessing there are going to be some deals this coming year.

Re: Staying At Nanny Cay Resort? [Re: A. Locker] #226696
05/17/2020 07:48 PM
05/17/2020 07:48 PM
S
sail445 Offline
Traveler
sail445  Offline
Traveler
S
Nanny Cay is is basically in the boon docks when it comes to restaurants and bars.
In my opinion you would be better off getting a captain only bare boat and take your children sailing through the islands, the rates would be comparable to a hotel and the young ones would enjoy it.
The other option would be to go to St John USVI where there’s endless beautiful beaches and restaurants with Friendly service and positive attitudes.

Re: Staying At Nanny Cay Resort? [Re: sail445] #226698
05/17/2020 09:29 PM
05/17/2020 09:29 PM
Chicagoland
A. Locker Offline OP
Traveler
A. Locker  Offline OP
Traveler
Chicagoland
Originally Posted by RatmansWife
We have not stayed there, but we shop and eat there fairly often. We have friends who live there and other friends who stay there since Irma destroyed their house. It's a convenient choice and the Riteway, while small, is adequate if you're not too fussy.

My question is, if you're doing several daysails, why don't you just charter a boat? Many people here can give advice on sailing with small children. They all love it. Charter a boat with a captain couple and you and your wife can really enjoy the vacation.

What are your dates? Christmas/New Years is high season, but I'm guessing there are going to be some deals this coming year.

I am already seeing the deals on charters, and have been thinking about it. My main issue is my 12 and 10 yr old are strong swimmers, I will have a 6yr old and being on a boat the whole time may ruin the vacation for my wife, and possibly myself. I will continue to explore it.

Originally Posted by sail445
Nanny Cay is is basically in the boon docks when it comes to restaurants and bars.
In my opinion you would be better off getting a captain only bare boat and take your children sailing through the islands, the rates would be comparable to a hotel and the young ones would enjoy it.
The other option would be to go to St John USVI where there’s endless beautiful beaches and restaurants with Friendly service and positive attitudes.

For the record, I do plan on renting a vehicle. I'm probably in the minority but I enjoy driving on Tortola. The only better way to see all the great spots is by boat of course. I don't see the location as an issue, it will be way easier than our villa atop Brewers Bay. I will look a little more into the boat for a week though. I'm open to other islands but we have a family history with the BVI. I kinda have to take my kids there to get it off my bucket list.

Thanks all for the input so far.

Re: Staying At Nanny Cay Resort? [Re: A. Locker] #226701
05/17/2020 09:57 PM
05/17/2020 09:57 PM
Memphis, BVI, CT
R
RatmansWife Offline
Traveler
RatmansWife  Offline
Traveler
R
Memphis, BVI, CT
I thought you were talking about pre-schoolers! Your 6-year-old will likely be swimming like a fish by the end of this summer. A crewed charter is a no-brainer.

Look for a situation where a couple is on the boat all the time, vs an a la carte captain. That will take the pressure to cook and clean off your wife so she can enjoy the vacation.

You will get to see all the islands and make this the vacation of a lifetime for your family.

Re: Staying At Nanny Cay Resort? [Re: A. Locker] #226703
05/17/2020 10:40 PM
05/17/2020 10:40 PM
Georgia & South Carolina
D
Deepcut Offline
Traveler
Deepcut  Offline
Traveler
D
Georgia & South Carolina
We took ours with another family. 4 kids under 8 (3, 4, 6, 8) . They each took their own life vests and were required to wear underway and even at anchor if out of cockpit/ in dingy etc. They knew it was just "we always wear them". No worries. No issues. Parents were relaxed because kids wore lifejackets all the time.

one of the best trips ever.

Wes
s/v Sea Tiger (2022 Lagoon 46)
www.BareBoatBVI.com

Re: Staying At Nanny Cay Resort? [Re: A. Locker] #226705
05/18/2020 12:10 AM
05/18/2020 12:10 AM
Somewhere out there
kneafseym Offline
Traveler
kneafseym  Offline
Traveler
Somewhere out there
Not sure why everyone is trying to up sell you and not answer your question. NC would not be my dream vacation, but with kids workable.

You didn't say the age of the kids, but at NC, you have the pool and a bar just a few steps away, a great beach for kids (not a great adult beach). There are food options, good grocery all a short walk away. Much cheaper than chartering a boat and depending on the kids age the expense of a crewed boat is wasted. With a car rental on site you can rent a car as needed or take a taxi. When we kept our boat there, pre Irma there was a great collection of kid friendly cats (meow cats) around.

Now to toss that wrench in, look at an All inclusive in Cancun with kids, they all have kids clubs, pools, food and beach (some good, some suck). Much cheaper than BVI. When we were running a charter boat in BVI with our young daughter this was our "vacation" spot and she was much happier there than BVI. She loved all the kid activities and being away from us....and us away from her for a few hours.

Mike
Re: Staying At Nanny Cay Resort? [Re: A. Locker] #226706
05/18/2020 12:59 AM
05/18/2020 12:59 AM
Grenada
Zanshin Offline
Traveler
Zanshin  Offline
Traveler
Grenada
I've stayed at the hotel at Nanny Cay for years, usually for a couple of nights upon arrival and a night upon departure. As has been mentioned before, there aren't too many options there - Captain Mulligan's and Peg Legs for dinner, Gennakers and coffee shop for breakfast and lunch. The pool is nice, the beach is somewhat small and unimpressive. I like the hotel because of the price and proximity to the boatyard and docks.

If you have a rental car then things are much better. And a rental with 4WD that can mount "the elevator" means you can reach locations on the north side that much quicker.

[Linked Image]
Re: Staying At Nanny Cay Resort? [Re: A. Locker] #226707
05/18/2020 04:13 AM
05/18/2020 04:13 AM
Charlotte, NC
N
NCSailor Offline
Traveler
NCSailor  Offline
Traveler
N
Charlotte, NC
To travel all the way to the BVIs to stay at Nanny Cay seems like a wasted effort. There are so many better options that would provide more of an island vibe. Consider CGB. Better beaches, more dining options, easy jump over to JVD.

Re: Staying At Nanny Cay Resort? [Re: A. Locker] #226711
05/18/2020 06:19 AM
05/18/2020 06:19 AM
Bucks County, Pa.
toast Offline
Traveler
toast  Offline
Traveler
Bucks County, Pa.
I would explore some of the options in Cane Garden, not far from the west end where by that time hopefully, if not already, some charter boats depart from. I have stayed at Lighthouse, Mongoose Villas, Columbus Sunset and Quito's before the renovation. Columbus has 2 bedroom options which might be good enough for your family. Down the street from the bar scene on the beach, so you can get away, but close enough to walk every night to a few different options. I always try to stay there for a few nights when I am in the Islands.
I have not stayed but would love to, at Agape Villas, also a great option with some larger rentals for a family like yours.

Last edited by toast; 05/18/2020 06:20 AM.

Toast.......to Life; White Bay...heaven on earth.
Diane
Re: Staying At Nanny Cay Resort? [Re: kneafseym] #226714
05/18/2020 08:15 AM
05/18/2020 08:15 AM
Chicagoland
A. Locker Offline OP
Traveler
A. Locker  Offline OP
Traveler
Chicagoland
Originally Posted by kneafseym
Not sure why everyone is trying to up sell you and not answer your question. NC would not be my dream vacation, but with kids workable.

You didn't say the age of the kids, but at NC, you have the pool and a bar just a few steps away, a great beach for kids (not a great adult beach). There are food options, good grocery all a short walk away. Much cheaper than chartering a boat and depending on the kids age the expense of a crewed boat is wasted. With a car rental on site you can rent a car as needed or take a taxi. When we kept our boat there, pre Irma there was a great collection of kid friendly cats (meow cats) around.

Now to toss that wrench in, look at an All inclusive in Cancun with kids, they all have kids clubs, pools, food and beach (some good, some suck). Much cheaper than BVI. When we were running a charter boat in BVI with our young daughter this was our "vacation" spot and she was much happier there than BVI. She loved all the kid activities and being away from us....and us away from her for a few hours.

FYI we are looking at February 2021.

You a right in my wheel house. The wife was warming up to a charter yesterday but even if there are heavy discounts, it will be considerably more expensive, like double. The kids will be 12, 10, & 6 and are adventurous. If you factor in the rental car, ferry, and food/drinks its a little more palatable but I'm seeing at least $15k for 7 nights on a crewed charter with the 5 of us. I see some of the menus and it's a waste on the kids for sure. All inclusive in Cancun/Riviera Maya is actually our only other option. We have been a bunch and love Mexico but we also hate how we feel after sitting by a pool eating and drinking for a week straight:) I know BVI is far and expensive but my parents took us there back in the early 80's but my dad passed in 86. When I was back in February after 33 years I really liked it.

I did just start looking at CGB but worried about the cruise ship cattle cars. I assume there is a possibility that they still wont be back by February? I'd love to stay a Quito's but it's pretty pricey. I will check out some of those other recommendations. And yes, 4WD rental is the only way to go. We drove a ton our last trip and found some cool spots we otherwise would not have attempted if we didn't have off road capability. We don't mind the driving aspect on Tortola, it's part of the fun.

Re: Staying At Nanny Cay Resort? [Re: A. Locker] #226720
05/18/2020 09:31 AM
05/18/2020 09:31 AM
Toronto, Ontario
gordaguy2 Offline
Traveler
gordaguy2  Offline
Traveler
Traveler
Toronto, Ontario
Why not try a villa vacation on Virgin Gorda - for 15K you can rent a large villa and pay for your air flight, food and rental car.

GordaGuy2
Re: Staying At Nanny Cay Resort? [Re: A. Locker] #226721
05/18/2020 09:49 AM
05/18/2020 09:49 AM
Cane Garden Bay, Tortola
JasonHelmbrecht Offline
Traveler
JasonHelmbrecht  Offline
Traveler
Cane Garden Bay, Tortola
I like NC and can see it's appeal. Not sure what you've looked at for accommodations, but some of the condos there close the pool are available for short term stays. I think they would be a nicer choice than the hotel. I can see how it would be attractive for what you want to do but would caution you about thinking of it as a resort. If you've stayed at resorts in Mexico or other vacation destinations, its very different. Not nearly the level of service you'd find at a real resort that has a cohesive brand and customer service orientation. NC is more like a middle of the road hotel that happens to be near a few shops, a restaurant, and a marina. Regarding restaurants, I really only think you have Genakers for lunch/dinner and the pool bar. I like the pool bar (eat there 3-4 times/month) but I think it would get old fast. You said you'd have a car so you have plenty of other options near by. Genes, Pussers, Omars café, and Omar's fusion are all less than 10 minutes and Road Town is only about 15 minutes. If your kids can be entertained for a week with a couple of day trips and a pool, it would be a great option for a vacation. Plus you can drive to Cane Garden Bay or Smugglers for a beach day pretty easily.

I own www.coconutbreezevillas.com (Agape Cottages) in CGB and your fear of the cruise ships is real. Before 11am and after 3pm, it's fine but can be crowded other times. We have plenty of suggestions for guests on ship days that keeps them busy. The beauty of CGB is the proximity of lots of restaurants, bars, entertainment, groceries, and the beach. If you decide to explore CGB and have questions, let me know. We do offer a TTOL discount and have a 2 bedroom unit that is great for families!!

JasonHelmbrecht
Coconut Breeze Villas
Cane Garden Bay
reservations@coconutbreezevillas.com
www.coconutbreezevillas.com
Re: Staying At Nanny Cay Resort? [Re: A. Locker] #226723
05/18/2020 10:31 AM
05/18/2020 10:31 AM
Memphis, BVI, CT
R
RatmansWife Offline
Traveler
RatmansWife  Offline
Traveler
R
Memphis, BVI, CT
You have lots of great options! Don't give up on the boat charter, however. It sounds like you've seen the high-end charters with fancy food. It also can be done more simply.

Check out the sponsors here. Captains Compass can be budget friendly, and he could probably arrange crew. You could provision your own food. Another option is to charter out of St. Thomas, which can cut down on transportation and food costs.

At this point, my biggest concern would be knowing that any deposit is not at risk.

Re: Staying At Nanny Cay Resort? [Re: RatmansWife] #226727
05/18/2020 11:01 AM
05/18/2020 11:01 AM
Chicagoland
A. Locker Offline OP
Traveler
A. Locker  Offline OP
Traveler
Chicagoland

Thank again all! Great info here.

For the record, $15k is more that we went to spend. After airfare from Chicago, we are pushing $20k and that's way more that we wanted to spend.

My lodging expectations for NC aren't high, it's more for the convenience and we really like hanging out there. I could see it being boring after a few days though.

I will look more closely at CGB and even the condos and NC.

Re: Staying At Nanny Cay Resort? [Re: A. Locker] #226737
05/18/2020 12:48 PM
05/18/2020 12:48 PM
N
Nanny Cay Hotel Offline
Traveler
Nanny Cay Hotel  Offline
Traveler
N
Nanny Cay has newly renovated and rebuilt rooms that are very comfortable and there are a couple of connecting room options. Each room has a small fridge, coffee maker, toaster and microwave so you don't need to eat out for every meal. There are also two and three bedroom villas in the same area. Everything is a close, easy walk to the beach, shops, supermarket and restaurants. You can rent power boats by the half or full day, as well as rental cars or jump on day sails right from the marina. You won't need a car for the whole time, but if you want to explore other beaches around the island, you can rent a car by the day. Supermarkets can also deliver groceries so when you arrive you are already stocked up (if staying one of the villas). The pool is nice, the beach is Ok and there are lots of kids that stay there. The Yacht Club can also do sailing lessons for children and adults.

Last edited by Nanny Cay Hotel; 05/18/2020 12:49 PM. Reason: spellcheck
Re: Staying At Nanny Cay Resort? [Re: A. Locker] #226739
05/18/2020 02:13 PM
05/18/2020 02:13 PM
Tortola/ Sonoma, California
Manpot Offline
Traveler
Manpot  Offline
Traveler
Tortola/ Sonoma, California
Many good suggestions here..I would seriously consider Jason's Coconut Breeze ( Formerly Agape). If there are cruise ships crowds ( unlikely for a while) you have a beautiful place away from them..but a short walk to a glosious beach with bars, food and nightlife. Nanny Cay is fine..but it does get very hot there at times.