RonDon 85
fabila 47
Zanshin 39
Member Spotlight
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
bvibev, jimma4191
Who's Online Now
29 registered members (nevar37, TRIM, steve74, marybeth, jazzgal, cbinparadise, ydrwrb1, ARC, JerseyPal, bailau, Instigator, WWII, toast, SXMNAN, bbeach, 706jim, TravelHat, fabila, SXMScubaman, Kennys, 9 invisible), 770 guests, and 69 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Trip Report Jan 26-Feb 9, 2021 #247247
02/11/2021 08:56 AM
02/11/2021 08:56 AM
East Tennessee
lhbsurf Offline OP
Traveler
lhbsurf  Offline OP
Traveler
East Tennessee
I got so much invaluable help from the participants of this message board this trip, I thought I’d write a report of our trip, in case it might help anyone else. I am usually just a reader, not much of a poster… but here goes. Our trip was Jan 26-Feb 9.

Fiasco getting approved, but with information provided here it worked out with the help of an amazingly nice lady we luckily got on the phone in SXM. After that, the trip was a breeze. We flew from Knoxville, TN, on American connecting in Charlotte. We paid a little extra for First Class to get the extra room. It didn’t actually work out that way – first class was full, the back of the plane was pretty empty – everyone had their own row if they wanted it. On our flights, everyone wore their masks as required, even replacing the bandanas or “gators” with disposable masks – they aren’t acceptable since the federal mandate took effect. Our flight arrived 30 minutes early - Clearing customs and immigration was a breeze. Waited 30 seconds for our bags (as opposed to 2 hours last year!) Got rental car easily, stopped by Market Garden for groceries (had to mask and wash hands before entry there every time).

Checked into our first Airbnb studio in Beacon Hill. They had a lovely pool area that we could use, but our entrance was in a beautiful garden with lots of birds. Also a few mosquitos. I loved it out there, my husband not so much. This week we mostly went to various beaches around the island to spend the day and explore a little - Orient, Grand Case, Cupecoy. The second week we moved to an apartment on the beach at Simpson Bay near Mary’s Boon. We were on 2nd story with a lovely balcony – almost no mosquitos here, so we spent a lot of time out there. Beach was pretty empty, but was so very lovely.

We ate all breakfasts and most lunches at the condo or as a picnic on the beach. Dinner mostly out except for a few nights charcuterie and wine to relax at the condos. I did cook one night, but it was not worth the effort. I didn’t know how to use or understand the European pictures on the oven (no instructions provided), so I had to do the whole thing on the stove top. Big mess – wished we had ordered pizza or something…. Thus my request for more budget friendly meals!

Lunches out: Chez Leandra, Orient (very good!); Rainbow Café, Grand Case (good, but too pricey for us!); Dany’s Beach Bar at Cupecoy, followed Pat’s (I think) advice and arranged lobster lunch – it was FANTASTIC! Not at all dry like I typically find grilled lobster. We split one and it was plenty! Can’t recommend it enough (pic below).

Dinners: Palapa Grill (2x steak was fabulous both times!), Sunset Beach Bar, Chesterfield’s, Sale & Pepe, Moulin Fou, Sint Maarten Yacht Club, Greenhouse, Private Chef’s dinner. Highlights were: Palapa Grill, Mussels at Sale & Pepe, and the entire Private Chef’s dinner arranged by our first Airbnb hosts. We discussed with them several times our likes and dislikes – they arranged a surprise meal with at least 5 courses (some of the courses had multiple dishes though), champagne & a bottle of wine. It was truly one of the best meals of our lifetime and the highlight of our trip (pic collage attached), and not as much as we have paid for some of our more upscale SXM dining, with twice the amount of food. Their Instagram is fig.paradis, if you enjoy this type thing, have a special occasion, or just like good food, Again, I can’t recommend it enough.

Testing was available on the island – the only people who seemed to have issues were those who waited until the last minute to arrange. There seemed to be long lines at some places we saw, so we opted to make an appointment with a doctor in Philipsburg the day after we arrived for the day before we were leaving for a rapid test. Whole process took a couple of hours from the time we left the condo until we returned – probably 20 minutes total in his office, $75 each with hard copy of our test results. Ironically, he was one of the few people we encountered that didn’t wear a mask, but we were in and out so quickly – and we wore ours except during the swab – we felt ok with it.

We uploaded the information in the app suggested by American, Verifly, but the only person who actually looked at our printout was the guy allowing us to get into the check in line at the airport in SXM. Flight delayed a little on the way home due to rerouting and more fuel needed – and one guy wanting to exit the plane. We had tight connections, but ended up arriving only 5 minutes late. Global Entry made it a fairly easy process and we made our 1.5 hour connection easily, with over 45 minutes to spare. If we had taken off on time, we would have been more than 30 minutes early, so I don’t think the connections are actual as tight as they look with the current flight volumes.

We felt very safe throughout the entire process and were glad we made the effort to go. The mask wearing and safety precautions were as good or better than we have here in TN, with many less infections and the opportunity to be outside most all the time – especially for dining. There were the occasional spots where we didn’t feel comfortable, so we didn’t go… i.e. Mullet Bay most of the time… and it took 4 tries to find a restaurant we felt comfortable with on Superbowl Sunday…they were just packed with people, so we ended up outside at SMYC.

Thank you all again for all your input and help which really made our trip so very much better!

PS.. Pictures attaches are: Pool view of Simpson bay from Airbnb #1; Simpson Bay Beach from chair at Condo #2; Lobster Lunch at Dany's; Menu & Chef's Dinner

Attached Files IMG_2040.JPGIMG_2188.jpegIMG_2175.jpegIMG_5317.jpegIMG_3320.jpeg

Laura
SXM Sponsors
Re: Trip Report Jan 26-Feb 9, 2021 [Re: lhbsurf] #247249
02/11/2021 09:06 AM
02/11/2021 09:06 AM
Ohio
ruralcarrier Offline
Traveler
ruralcarrier  Offline
Traveler
Ohio
Thanks for the report and glad you found suggestion from TTOL helpful. Looks like you covered a lot of ground. Your private chef meal sounded like you really enjoyed it.

J.D.
Re: Trip Report Jan 26-Feb 9, 2021 [Re: lhbsurf] #247250
02/11/2021 09:35 AM
02/11/2021 09:35 AM
Brookfield, CT.
pat Offline
Traveler
pat  Offline
Traveler
Brookfield, CT.
Thank you for the great trip report. Curious as to the problem at Mullet Bay to make you feel less than comfortable. We enjoy many of the dining spots you mentioned every trip but I have to say, your surprise dinner from your hosts looked incredible. Again, thank you for sharing a beautifully done trip report and glad the efforts made to go all paid off for you. 😊😊

Respectfully,

pat

"Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat
them."
Re: Trip Report Jan 26-Feb 9, 2021 [Re: pat] #247252
02/11/2021 09:54 AM
02/11/2021 09:54 AM
East Tennessee
lhbsurf Offline OP
Traveler
lhbsurf  Offline OP
Traveler
East Tennessee
Pat,

As to Mullet, looking back on it - it was probably mostly bad timing. It wasn't a safety issue - just a COVID issue. It was just really busy all the times we were near there, most especially on Super Bowl Sunday. Even on Orient being outside - we only chose chairs that were widely spaced from strangers, since we were there for many hours - there were several places we dismissed because they were just too close together. We are just basically cautious by nature and really didn't want to catch COVID in a foreign country, so we were extremely careful. In a normal year, the crowds at Mullet would have been fine with us.

Laura
Re: Trip Report Jan 26-Feb 9, 2021 [Re: lhbsurf] #247253
02/11/2021 10:00 AM
02/11/2021 10:00 AM
Central Florida!
Carol_Hill Offline
Traveler
Carol_Hill  Offline
Traveler
Central Florida!
Thanks for the report and the pictures. That lobster lunch and the meal and your B & B meal both look marvelous! I don't understand how to find an Instagram. Do they have any other way to contact them?

Carol Hill
Re: Trip Report Jan 26-Feb 9, 2021 [Re: lhbsurf] #247257
02/11/2021 10:25 AM
02/11/2021 10:25 AM
Brookfield, CT.
pat Offline
Traveler
pat  Offline
Traveler
Brookfield, CT.
Laura,

Thank you for coming back and clarifying. Mullet has long been our favorite island beach (for almost fifty years) and my fear was there might have been an uptick in nefarious activities with the opening of the upgraded restaurant and beach destination on Mullet.

One thing we learned many years ago about many island beaches but Mullet in particular, if you want a really quiet and peaceful beach day, any Sunday or holiday is a good day to avoid going there, and specifically, a good day to avoid the more peopled areas of the beach.

Aside from the parking issues around Mullet, we don’t much like crowds and were extremely disappointed to see how the existing chair concessions were placing their chairs so very close to each other. So close, in fact, the last time we went we swore we wouldn’t return for that reason. We were elbow to elbow with our neighbors and could barely get in and out of our chairs due to the closeness and no way could you move your chairs to catch the best sun advantage.

Sunday’s became ‘pool days’ for us, or at least good days to choose less busy beach venues.

Respectfully,

pat

"Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat
them."
Re: Trip Report Jan 26-Feb 9, 2021 [Re: lhbsurf] #247265
02/11/2021 10:52 AM
02/11/2021 10:52 AM
Maine
SXMbeacher Offline
Traveler
SXMbeacher  Offline
Traveler
Maine
Nice report, Thanks!

Re: Trip Report Jan 26-Feb 9, 2021 [Re: Carol_Hill] #247268
02/11/2021 11:38 AM
02/11/2021 11:38 AM
East Tennessee
lhbsurf Offline OP
Traveler
lhbsurf  Offline OP
Traveler
East Tennessee
Carol,

I have the email - capsart@yahoo.fr

We found them to be very responsive to all of our questions.

Laura

Laura
Re: Trip Report Jan 26-Feb 9, 2021 [Re: lhbsurf] #247269
02/11/2021 11:41 AM
02/11/2021 11:41 AM
Central Florida!
Carol_Hill Offline
Traveler
Carol_Hill  Offline
Traveler
Central Florida!
OK, thanks much!

Carol Hill
Re: Trip Report Jan 26-Feb 9, 2021 [Re: lhbsurf] #247276
02/11/2021 12:02 PM
02/11/2021 12:02 PM
Auburn, WA
SXMScubaman Online content
Traveler
SXMScubaman  Online Content
Traveler
Auburn, WA
Nice report and that Lobster looked fantastic.