Member Spotlight
megamania
megamania
Harriston
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online Now
42 registered members (Jspoone, bostonbob, KirkB, lcote, MikeMc, anet_scot, Jeannius, SXMScubaman, Zanshin, Mainers, nevar37, Jim_Laraine, GeorgeC1, CaribbeanCanadians, Cincinnati_Kid, tpcook, Dutchman, luvtotravel, marisol, ColoBoater, JeanneB, Chaseec, jbutah, JohnW, GaryC, xrayman67, Todd_Melinda_K, lbksxm, Swifty, SURICK, 12 invisible), 500 guests, and 77 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
What's the best Sunday BBQ in the BVI? #247607
02/15/2021 06:45 PM
02/15/2021 06:45 PM
Omaha, NE
unipanther Offline OP
Traveler
unipanther  Offline OP
Traveler
Omaha, NE
We're staying on Smuggler's Cove and I want to take my friends to the best Sunday afternoon BBQ and music in the BVI's. We'll have a boat to get to Jost or just drive to somewhere on Tortola. I heard of Elm, Foxy's, etc... Just wondering from the group what might be the easiest and most fun (going in October so hopefully things are fixed and more fun, haha).

BVI Sponsors
Re: What's the best Sunday BBQ in the BVI? [Re: unipanther] #247608
02/15/2021 07:21 PM
02/15/2021 07:21 PM
Omaha, NE
unipanther Offline OP
Traveler
unipanther  Offline OP
Traveler
Omaha, NE
Also, nightly things you must try like a Friday night BBQ somewhere.
I wonder if there are "must do's" during the week when we are on the islands. Thanks and Cheers!
Matt

Re: What's the best Sunday BBQ in the BVI? [Re: unipanther] #247616
02/15/2021 08:57 PM
02/15/2021 08:57 PM
Memphis, BVI, CT
R
RatmansWife Offline
Traveler
RatmansWife  Offline
Traveler
R
Memphis, BVI, CT
Are you going in 2021? October is normally a slow month, with many places not opening until November. This year, some places are already closing - not enough business to justify staying open. What day of the week are you arriving?

The day you arrive is day zero. You quarantine on the property for four days. On the fourth day they send someone to take you for testing. In theory, you get the results 24 hours later, but they have struggled to meet that of late. If you arrive on Monday, you are tested on Friday. You may not receive your results until Saturday night. After getting your tracking device removed at a police station, you're free to move about.

If you're going for a week, you essentially will have two nights and one day to tour around.

Re: What's the best Sunday BBQ in the BVI? [Re: unipanther] #247617
02/15/2021 09:18 PM
02/15/2021 09:18 PM
Ill, USA
Will_L Offline
Traveler
Will_L  Offline
Traveler
Ill, USA
If you are renting the boat, I’m pretty certain you won’t be allowed to take it out after sundown. It really would be unwise in unfamiliar waters. So you will probably want to decide between options on Tortola for evening activities. Since you are near west end you could check on the Jost Ferry schedule and if they have something coming back late that would work.

In October Ferry schedules along with open restaurants will be pared back.

Re: What's the best Sunday BBQ in the BVI? [Re: unipanther] #247619
02/15/2021 09:21 PM
02/15/2021 09:21 PM
Knoxville, Tennessee
Fred Offline
Traveler
Fred  Offline
Traveler
Knoxville, Tennessee
If it's open, I vote for the Elm for the food and music.

Re: What's the best Sunday BBQ in the BVI? [Re: Fred] #247648
02/16/2021 09:32 AM
02/16/2021 09:32 AM
Kannapolis, NC
ndfaninnc Offline
Traveler
ndfaninnc  Offline
Traveler
Kannapolis, NC
Originally Posted by Fred
If it's open, I vote for the Elm for the food and music.

I second Elm. Tony does BBQ chicken very well. Not likely they are open in October. Or are many other places.

Go Irish!!

Bill

[Linked Image]
Re: What's the best Sunday BBQ in the BVI? [Re: unipanther] #247651
02/16/2021 09:37 AM
02/16/2021 09:37 AM
Cane Garden Bay, Tortola
JasonHelmbrecht Offline
Traveler
JasonHelmbrecht  Offline
Traveler
Cane Garden Bay, Tortola
Pretty unlikely the Elm will be open in October. It's best to ask this question again a week before your trip. If it's early October, music will be tough. Late October you might have a couple of options.

JasonHelmbrecht
Coconut Breeze Villas
Cane Garden Bay
reservations@coconutbreezevillas.com
www.coconutbreezevillas.com
Re: What's the best Sunday BBQ in the BVI? [Re: unipanther] #247655
02/16/2021 10:03 AM
02/16/2021 10:03 AM
GA/NC
GeorgeC1 Online content
Traveler
GeorgeC1  Online Content
Traveler
GA/NC
Push the trip to November if possible. You will have far more dining and music options plus better weather.
G

Re: What's the best Sunday BBQ in the BVI? [Re: unipanther] #247699
02/16/2021 06:37 PM
02/16/2021 06:37 PM
Omaha, NE
unipanther Offline OP
Traveler
unipanther  Offline OP
Traveler
Omaha, NE
Wow!
I guess I am out of touch and did not research this trip like I have others (never been to the BVI's with an exception of a day trip to Jost from St John).
We are suppose to travel between Oct 23rd-30th, 2021. Flights are already booked and was just about to pay 50% on the villa.
Don't plan to use the boat after dark, not that experienced boating in the Caribbean.
We have been to many Caribbean Islands always in late Oct (anniversary the 26th) so we are quite aware of "off-season" in the Caribbean but it sounds like "off season" means something different on Tortola with many places closed (partly due to COVID as well I'm sure).
I also did not understand or possibly get the gravity of a 4-day quarantine on a 7-day trip. It doesn't seem worth it to travel on a luxurious vacation to spend 4-days in the house (albeit, it is a beautiful house). I wonder how strict the house arrest is?? Can we not walk across the street to Smuggler's Cove for the day or will we be arrested and thrown in quarantine jail?
We want to come a have a wonderful vacation in one of the most beautiful places in the world and support the local economy to the fullest, but this to me, seems excessive. Hopefully this is all null and void by the time October comes around but I am not sure we or the other two couples will want to come to paradise for a week and spend two-thirds of it in quarantine.
I guess, I am asking is it worth it to spend a bunch of time and money to come during COVID?
Obviously, the BVI's are trying to protect their people, but are you really protecting them if you take away their livelihood? I'm not sure, it kind of seems like it and I'm not trying to be political what-so-ever! The officials on the island are a lot smarter than me I'm sure and definitely have the best interest in their own people I hope.
We took the family to St Martin in Oct 2020 and had a wonderful family vacation! Not all places were open, we had to wear masks always, we could not spend a day on St Barth's, or Anguilla, but we did get to drive around everyday, go to all our favorite beaches, see the entire island and eat anywhere we wanted to that was open. We had to take our temps every morning and record them which was slightly irritating but necessary in our view.
Lastly, I'll probably cancel the boat as well if we can't zoom around to different islands for 4 days, if things are still the same as today we will probably not come at all if we have to spend 4-days in the house. I am typically not a "Debbie Downer" but your comments got me a little frazzled and were eye-opening to the situation, completely unlike our recent St Martin trip. Our SXM trip was stressful and a pain-in-the-butt, but uber rewarding and unforgettable! The people really appreciated our patronage and we loved the people and the service!
Cheers, I hope this finds you all well, Matt

Last edited by unipanther; 02/16/2021 06:48 PM.
Re: What's the best Sunday BBQ in the BVI? [Re: unipanther] #247706
02/16/2021 07:47 PM
02/16/2021 07:47 PM
Cane Garden Bay, Tortola
JasonHelmbrecht Offline
Traveler
JasonHelmbrecht  Offline
Traveler
Cane Garden Bay, Tortola
You absolutely can not "walk across the street to Smuggler's Cove". You won't get arrested but I think the fine is $5,000/person and after the lockdowns that the BVI has gone thru the odds are decent of you being reported. In addition, people here are conditioned to look for your tracking devices so it's pretty easy to pick out someone who is supposed to be home. Many places will not allow you to enter the business after you've been released from quarantine if you haven't visited a police station to have your tracking bracelet removed. There are literally signs on the grocery store doors that nobody can enter with a tracking bracelet attached.

It's possible the protocols will change before you travel in October but currently if you traveled on Saturday the 23rd, you'd take your 2nd test on Wednesday, October 27th. Based on that test result, you would be released from quarantine sometime on Thursday the 28th. We've had guests be released as early at 10:30am but I think that's unusual.

Again, October is a long way off so it's possible a change will come and in a normal year, that week a lot of things would be opening back up. If the protocols change here, I believe people will open early because it's been a rough year for everyone.

JasonHelmbrecht
Coconut Breeze Villas
Cane Garden Bay
reservations@coconutbreezevillas.com
www.coconutbreezevillas.com
Re: What's the best Sunday BBQ in the BVI? [Re: unipanther] #247707
02/16/2021 08:00 PM
02/16/2021 08:00 PM
Northern IL
bagsarepacked Offline
Traveler
bagsarepacked  Offline
Traveler
Northern IL
Just thought I would toss this in, if you are renting a car, please be sure to get a jeep or 4 wheel drive. Tortola Roads are challenging in some places. The "road" we took to Smugglers from Long Bay was an adventure!
Before making changes to your trip I would do a little reading on the BVI Alive forum on Facebook. Maybe do some more research as I think someplace on other places to stay in the BVI on other islands you can access the beach while in quarantine as they are very remote.

Re: What's the best Sunday BBQ in the BVI? [Re: bagsarepacked] #247711
02/16/2021 08:16 PM
02/16/2021 08:16 PM
Omaha, NE
unipanther Offline OP
Traveler
unipanther  Offline OP
Traveler
Omaha, NE
Thanks for the info!
I've already looked at some nice places on St Martin since I posted, and we can get a really nice place for the same price and we know the island really well. I checked with Delta and it would cost us $38 to switch flights to SXM instead of STT for the same week. I was totally invested in experiencing Tortola/BVI's for the first time, but I may have to put a trip off to the BVI's until things are more certain and absolute. I can't go to my friends and tell them that we, may or may not, have to stay in our house for 4 days and for-go VG and White Bay and Sandy Cay and Little Jost and Sandy Spit and Norman Island.
No decisions tonight, but I will have to make one soon as I owe BVI villas money to reserve our villa.
Thanks again and cheers!
Matt

Re: What's the best Sunday BBQ in the BVI? [Re: unipanther] #247722
02/16/2021 09:32 PM
02/16/2021 09:32 PM
Memphis, BVI, CT
R
RatmansWife Offline
Traveler
RatmansWife  Offline
Traveler
R
Memphis, BVI, CT
It's not four days, it's five, and if you're unlucky the end of day five. BVI citizens coming from the UK or Dominican Republic quarantine for fourteen days; tourists from there are not permitted. Also, there is a $175/person fee for testing and transport.

However, the BVI is Covid free, and has generally been so for months. They opted to keep their citizens safe, albeit at a high cost to the economy. Vaccination has recently begun, so it remains to be seen when restrictions are eased.

The other positive is that, with no cruise ships and few tourists, people are enjoying an uncrowded BVI with much healthier marine life.

Re: What's the best Sunday BBQ in the BVI? [Re: RatmansWife] #247732
02/16/2021 11:40 PM
02/16/2021 11:40 PM
Omaha, NE
unipanther Offline OP
Traveler
unipanther  Offline OP
Traveler
Omaha, NE
I totally understand.

Re: What's the best Sunday BBQ in the BVI? [Re: unipanther] #247769
02/17/2021 01:08 PM
02/17/2021 01:08 PM
Woodstock, GA
RickinAtlanta Offline
Traveler
RickinAtlanta  Offline
Traveler
Woodstock, GA
Originally Posted by unipanther
Thanks for the info!
I've already looked at some nice places on St Martin since I posted, and we can get a really nice place for the same price and we know the island really well. I checked with Delta and it would cost us $38 to switch flights to SXM instead of STT for the same week. I was totally invested in experiencing Tortola/BVI's for the first time, but I may have to put a trip off to the BVI's until things are more certain and absolute. I can't go to my friends and tell them that we, may or may not, have to stay in our house for 4 days and for-go VG and White Bay and Sandy Cay and Little Jost and Sandy Spit and Norman Island.
No decisions tonight, but I will have to make one soon as I owe BVI villas money to reserve our villa.
Thanks again and cheers!
Matt

Didn't read that you also factored in the flight from STT to Tortola.

Re: What's the best Sunday BBQ in the BVI? [Re: RickinAtlanta] #248049
02/21/2021 07:07 PM
02/21/2021 07:07 PM
Omaha, NE
unipanther Offline OP
Traveler
unipanther  Offline OP
Traveler
Omaha, NE
We were taking the ferry to Tortola and renting cars. So with that, it will actually be cheaper because we will not have to take a ferry. Good thinking Rick. I just want it to be over so I can go with my original plan! Cheers