Member Spotlight
lina
lina
TOTOWA NJ
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
bvibev, jimma4191
Who's Online Now
15 registered members (steve74, Tom, cacapasa, Zanshin, BillR, kaba, jazzgal, bailau, Wingman, Beansbbq, MrEZgoin, PnPinNC, 3 invisible), 726 guests, and 74 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Grand Case lodging opinons #285103
06/24/2022 08:14 AM
06/24/2022 08:14 AM
East Tennessee
taraavo Offline OP
Traveler
taraavo  Offline OP
Traveler
East Tennessee
Hi everyone. I don't think I've posted in a few years here, but have been keeping a keen eye on all of the wonderful trip reports and news of the island. My husband and I first visited the island for our honeymoon in 2016. Since then, we've had two failed attempts to return (one cancelled for Irma, one cancelled for the pandemic). The good news - we're planning a trip back for next Spring! Last time we stayed at an AirBnB in Grand Case which we loved, but has not been rebuilt. This time we're looking to stay at a hotel in Grand Case. I'm looking for any input on choosing between Grand Case Beach Club and Hotel L'Esplanade. I can get either in a bundle deal for only a couple hundred dollars difference. Which would you choose and why? I have eliminated Bleu Emeraude ( no pool) and Le Temps des Cerises ( no parking) but would like to hear if you'd pick one of those instead. L'Esplanade looks wonderful but I am concerned with all the reviews mentioning "too many stairs". We don't have any mobility issues; I'm fine with stairs that are safe and not a PIA. But if they are steep and slick etc. I don't want to be worried with that. Another option would be Hotel La Plantation in Orient. Thanks in advance for any insight.

SXM Sponsors
Re: Grand Case lodging opinons [Re: taraavo] #285108
06/24/2022 09:05 AM
06/24/2022 09:05 AM
Central Florida!
Carol_Hill Offline
Traveler
Carol_Hill  Offline
Traveler
Central Florida!
I assume you eliminated Le Petit because it does not have a pool? As I assume you know, it is a sister resort for Esplanade and you can use the pool at Esplanade if you're staying at Le Petit. Le Petit and Esplanade historically are ranked at the top of hotels in St. Martin, other than La Samanna. If it was me, I'd pick Grand Case Beach Club, because it is on the water. We've never stayed at either but have toured them and I don't remember seeing that many steps at Esplanade, although it was a while ago we were there. GCBC also of course has a restaurant on premises, which Esplanade does not have, and a darn fine one too. If I were going with GCBC, I would ensure that I was in a waterfront unit.

Just to confuse things, it is not Grand Case, but on Orient, but Orient Beach Hotel has been getting get reviews also. I would put that into the mix.

We stayed at LaPlantation a couple of times, and I would say that I personally would pick any of the others before Plantation. Most of the units there have very little view and many of them are quite a hike up the hill from the water. Plantation has it's own restaurant, but otherwise, it's a bit of a walk to any other restaurants, other than L'Astrolabe.

Carol Hill
Re: Grand Case lodging opinons [Re: taraavo] #285113
06/24/2022 09:35 AM
06/24/2022 09:35 AM
East Tennessee
taraavo Offline OP
Traveler
taraavo  Offline OP
Traveler
East Tennessee
This is great feedback. Thank you Carol. I suppose I should put Le Petit in the mix - it didn't even occur to me that if staying at Le Petit we could use the Esplanade pool, although I remember reading that if staying at Esplanade, we could use Le Petit's beach chairs.
Is Le Petit located on the opposite end of the restaurant row area (opposite end from Esplanade)? I'm trying to get my bearings.
GCBC seems to have the most to offer over all, although I admit to being smitten by the stunning photographs of the grounds at Esplanade. I know that Esplanade offers a shuttle; I never felt unsafe walking back to our apartment after dinner in Grand Case last visit, but we are early diners. Would you feel safe walking back to GCBC after dark? Looking on the map, it appears to be a bit more isolated (which is fine - like I said, just trying to get my bearings because it's been a few years).

Re: Grand Case lodging opinons [Re: taraavo] #285114
06/24/2022 09:43 AM
06/24/2022 09:43 AM
Central Florida!
Carol_Hill Offline
Traveler
Carol_Hill  Offline
Traveler
Central Florida!
Yes, le Petit is on the opposite end of Grand Case. It is on the main road, going toward Marigot. I would assume you can still use the pool at Esplanade from there, although I would verify that. I personally would not feel safe walking from either hotel to restaurant row, but I'm kind of a chicken. I saw a golf cart type shuttle in Grand Case which had a sign on the side of it, and I don't recall now which hotel it was. Eric says he thought it was Esplanade and I thought it was GCBC. I did see a security guard walking the street which goes toward GCBC, and I suspect the guard was from the hotel, but not sure. There used to be a person that you could pay for golf cart transportation to restaurant row, but I don't know if they are still there or not.

Carol Hill
Re: Grand Case lodging opinons [Re: taraavo] #285140
06/24/2022 01:26 PM
06/24/2022 01:26 PM
East Tennessee
taraavo Offline OP
Traveler
taraavo  Offline OP
Traveler
East Tennessee
Carol, I'm with you on being a chicken in that respect. Seems like it would benefit both hotels to offer that service; I assume there are other chickens out and about as well.

Re: Grand Case lodging opinons [Re: taraavo] #285148
06/24/2022 02:15 PM
06/24/2022 02:15 PM
Naples, FL & West Haven, CT
JeanneJOE Offline
Traveler
JeanneJOE  Offline
Traveler
Naples, FL & West Haven, CT
We stayed many years ago, at L'Esplanade. We both loved it very much and often said we'd return. There was no negative reason not to go back except that we are timeshare owners and always came or left a few days after the t/s and enjoyed hoping around the island. LePetite is a distance and as Carol said on the main road. Through we did not stay there friends always did and talked very highly about it. Again, a few years ago and we would walk back to Esplanade after dinner and never had issues. My nephew stayed at GCBC and enjoyed his stay there and was very happy with the security they offered.

Re: Grand Case lodging opinons [Re: taraavo] #285150
06/24/2022 02:28 PM
06/24/2022 02:28 PM
Brookfield, CT.
pat Offline
Traveler
pat  Offline
Traveler
Brookfield, CT.
Totally unfamiliar with Hotel L’Esplanade but have stayed at grand Case Beach Club and absolutely love it there. My island preference is the Dutch side but when we switch it up and go for a French touch, GCBC has it all for me. I like the resort atmosphere but appreciate you can be as involved or as distant from it all as you choose. The restaurant has always been excellent if you choose to stay on site but if not, there’s all of GC and restaurant row at your disposal. The units are very comfortable and it would be my choice in a heartbeat.

Respectfully,

pat

"Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat
them."
Re: Grand Case lodging opinons [Re: taraavo] #285154
06/24/2022 03:15 PM
06/24/2022 03:15 PM
Virginia Beach, VA USA
B
barryvabeach Offline
Traveler
barryvabeach  Offline
Traveler
B
Virginia Beach, VA USA
We have stayed at a number of Airbnb's in Grand Case for several years. In terms of a pool, the first time we rented there, I asked the host if they had a pool, and she responded why would we want a pool when you can swim in the ocean. While there are some positives with a pool, we have never had rough surf or seaweed at Grand Case, and the area where we stayed did not have rocks, so we went swimming in the ocean each day. As to Cerises, I have not stayed there, but did stay next door. There is a paid parking lot for about 5 Euro a day less than a block away, so I would not rule it out on that account. Their chairs are full loungers with pads, though you will be quite close to Rainbow, which can be annoyingly loud at times, depending on the time of year. Another option is the Love hotel - I think it is a nice location, though it only has studios, and the beach is a little narrow right in front.Love Not sure if they have chairs. I have walked on the property of GCBC though not L'Esplanade, and I would prefer GCBC, many posters here like it, and you are right on the beach, which for me is a big plus. Others are fans of Le Petite Hotel hhttps://www.lepetithotel.com/ it would be quieter than staying in the middle of town, but it would be a longer walk to dinner, and not sure about the parking, but they do have lounge chairs. As to Orient, I would definitely want a place with a pool, we have been to Orient many times when the surf was rough, or seaweed or wind kept us from swimming in the ocean. If you haven't been back since 2016, I think you will be impressed with the dining options at Orient Village. I still prefer Grand Case and walking down the street to pick a place to eat, but the village has lots of choices as wel.

Re: Grand Case lodging opinons [Re: taraavo] #285158
06/24/2022 03:23 PM
06/24/2022 03:23 PM
East Tennessee
taraavo Offline OP
Traveler
taraavo  Offline OP
Traveler
East Tennessee
Thanks Jeanne, Pat, and Barry. I appreciate all of your input.
Barry, our last AirBnB in Grand Case was right next to Rainbow and we loved the beach there. I think they only recently got one of their unites up and running, but for the same price I realized we could try something new at one of the hotels. I wondered about the Love hotel. I like the location, but when we went pre-Irma we had drinks there almost every night and the vibe was a little too much like a hostel for me rather than an Inn or hotel. In photos, it appears to be a bit more polished now for sure. I am intrigued by the dining options in Orient Village!

Re: Grand Case lodging opinons [Re: taraavo] #285159
06/24/2022 03:34 PM
06/24/2022 03:34 PM
Central Florida!
Carol_Hill Offline
Traveler
Carol_Hill  Offline
Traveler
Central Florida!
taraavo--To ME, right now Orient Village outshines Grand Case for dining options.

Carol Hill
Re: Grand Case lodging opinons [Re: taraavo] #285170
06/24/2022 05:23 PM
06/24/2022 05:23 PM
Virginia Beach, VA USA
B
barryvabeach Offline
Traveler
barryvabeach  Offline
Traveler
B
Virginia Beach, VA USA
Taraavo, we stayed in that building right next to Rainbow pre Irma, and again in Feb of last year when it reopened a few of the units. Ideal in every way, and they did a great job with reconstructing the unit, but Rainbow made it not a vacation. Most days, and nearly every night, they played the subwoofer so loud your teeth would rattle, and there was no way you could sleep until they turned the subwoofer down. The guests in the next building over even complained how the loud music made it not a vacation. Really a shame since to me, that is the nicest section of Grand Case - the water is great, short walk to dining. Yes, the new Love looks different than the old one, though don't recall seeing any loungers on the beach when I walked by. While we rent a car, and often drive to other parts of the island during the day, I love having several restaurants in walking distance for dinner. While the Village has a number of choices, and Carol may disagree, but to me, Grand Case has more variety in dining options, whether it is sitting at picnic tables at the Lolos, or fine dining at La Villa or Oceans 82, to places in between, like Frenchy's

Re: Grand Case lodging opinons [Re: barryvabeach] #285172
06/24/2022 05:26 PM
06/24/2022 05:26 PM
Central Florida!
Carol_Hill Offline
Traveler
Carol_Hill  Offline
Traveler
Central Florida!
barry--Hey, everyone has their opinions. I guess Grand Case is just kind of sad to me still, with all the buildings that are not repaired. Orient Village looks all brand new and repaired.

Carol Hill
Re: Grand Case lodging opinons [Re: taraavo] #285176
06/24/2022 05:54 PM
06/24/2022 05:54 PM
Virginia Beach, VA USA
B
barryvabeach Offline
Traveler
barryvabeach  Offline
Traveler
B
Virginia Beach, VA USA
Carol, no argument there, there are still many unrepaired buildings. Orient Village is much better looking, though in some ways, too uniform for me.

Re: Grand Case lodging opinons [Re: barryvabeach] #285178
06/24/2022 07:03 PM
06/24/2022 07:03 PM
Central Florida!
Carol_Hill Offline
Traveler
Carol_Hill  Offline
Traveler
Central Florida!
I get you.

Carol Hill
Re: Grand Case lodging opinons [Re: taraavo] #285184
06/24/2022 09:17 PM
06/24/2022 09:17 PM
Canada
C
CYOWDave Offline
Traveler
CYOWDave  Offline
Traveler
C
Canada
Grand Case Beach Club and Hotel L'Esplanade are quite different but both get good reviews. We usually go to Hotel L'Esplanade or Petit Hotel, haven't stayed at GCBC and wouldn't want to (because it isn't our style, not because there is anything wrong with it if it is your style). Hotel L'Esplanade is a better choice than Petit Hotel for walking to GC restos at night (just not a pleasant walk from PH because no/limited sidewalk on way into GC restos) but Petit Hotel had a complimentary shuttle when we were there last year which sort of solves that.

Re: Grand Case lodging opinons [Re: taraavo] #285198
06/25/2022 11:11 AM
06/25/2022 11:11 AM
M
Mr. St. Martin Offline
Mr. St. Martin  Offline
M
Mark and Christian are wonderful hosts at Esplanade. Highly recommended. The stairs are not an issue at all. GCBC is like staying at a Motel 6. Make the most of life, go for the best.

Re: Grand Case lodging opinons [Re: Mr. St. Martin] #285200
06/25/2022 11:18 AM
06/25/2022 11:18 AM
Brookfield, CT.
pat Offline
Traveler
pat  Offline
Traveler
Brookfield, CT.
Originally Posted by Mr. St. Martin
Mark and Christian are wonderful hosts at Esplanade. Highly recommended. The stairs are not an issue at all. GCBC is like staying at a Motel 6. Make the most of life, go for the best.

With all due respect, GCBC is a far cry from a Motel 6, or at least what I perceive one to be. The suites are immaculate and serviced by a staff that goes the distance and then some. They are beachfront and on a very swimmable beach. Nooks and crannies all around the property that allow you to retreat from the world if you so choose. The pool is lovely and the restaurant is excellent. Motel 6? I don’t think so…….

Last edited by pat; 06/25/2022 11:37 AM.

Respectfully,

pat

"Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat
them."
Re: Grand Case lodging opinons [Re: Mr. St. Martin] #285207
06/25/2022 01:30 PM
06/25/2022 01:30 PM
Central Florida!
Carol_Hill Offline
Traveler
Carol_Hill  Offline
Traveler
Central Florida!
Pat--I agree that statement is definitely off base. I know that within the past few years, they basically re-did the whole resort. It's the modern, kind of minimalist look, versus the very traditional look of Esplanade and Le Petit. Esplanade and Le Petit is more my personal style, yes, but GCBC is definitely not Motel 6.

Carol Hill
Re: Grand Case lodging opinons [Re: taraavo] #285277
06/27/2022 09:17 AM
06/27/2022 09:17 AM
A
Adventure123 Offline
Traveler
Adventure123  Offline
Traveler
A
Hotel L’Esplanade

Hotel L’Esplanade is a small resort-style hotel. But think “resort” on a small scale – this Grand Case boutique hotel only has 24 suites.In fact, we loved our first stay there so much – getting a taste of what you can do in St. Martin – that we had to return to L’Esplanade and St. Martin for a longer visit.

We were just as enchanted by L’Esplanade the second time as we were the first.We especially loved the huge stone terrace with a double hammock and a dining table and chairs for four.The only small hiccup was that we couldn’t get the TV channels to work and we didn't even care to get them working off course they would have helped.

In the garden below the hotel, there’s a pretty tiled swimming pool with cushioned loungers scattered on the grass under the shade of palm trees and blue umbrellas.While Hotel L’Esplanade isn’t on the beach, it’s close to it.A 7-minute walk through the hotel’s property and down the hill takes you to Petit Plage (Little Beach), beside the Grand Case Beach Hotel. There, you can rent beach chairs and an umbrella from the Grand Case Beach Club.

Guests of L’Esplanade may also use the lounge chairs and umbrellas at its sister beachfront hotel, Le Petit Hotel, free of charge.Le Petit Hotel is located at the far end of Grand Case Beach, about a 20-minute walk away.

If you don’t feel like walking, hop in the hotel’s shuttle van for a free lift to Le Petit Hotel at 10:30 am (the return shuttle is at about 4:30 pm). If you’ve rented a car, you can drive and park there.Once at Le Petit Hotel, you can walk on the beach to popular Grand Case beach clubs like Rainbow Café and Captain Frenchy for drinks or lunch.

Grand Case Beach Club

It’s located close to the culinary village of Grand Case – a real plus, which we get into below.Actually, the Grand Case Beach Club (GCBC for short) straddles two virtually private beaches – Grand Case Beach and Petite Plage.Petite Plage on the other side of the hotel is the more popular beach, with a broad expanse of golden sand and lots of beach chairs. It’s serviced by a beach club.

They’re all apartment-style suites with full kitchens, flat-screen TVs and free Wi-Fi. Most have ocean views.If you love great food, the resort boasts the perfect location – one that will tease your tastebuds. All Grand Case Beach Club reviews point this out.

Of course, you can eat at the resort’s on-site restaurant, Sunset Café. And it’s a great option for all-American breakfasts, lunches and sunset cocktails with a beautiful view right over the water.Quite a stunning outdoor pool, in fact – on top of the promontory that separates the two beaches.

I have you have more clarity.

Re: Grand Case lodging opinons [Re: taraavo] #285524
07/01/2022 12:17 PM
07/01/2022 12:17 PM
D
dlcrn1128 Offline
dlcrn1128  Offline
D
Le Petite cannot be beat, IMHO. It is small, but very charming and the owners are fantastic. Yes it is at the other end of Grand Case, however, we always rent a car so it has never been a problem. The dining in Grand Case is very good and we enjoy the view.
Good luck with whatever you choose. Glad you can go back! We are heading there next week and will be staying at Petite!