Member Spotlight
Aries4
Aries4
Morrisville, PA/West End, Tortola
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
bvibev, jimma4191
Who's Online Now
7 registered members (Instigator, SXMScubaman, EdB, StMartinFan, fabila, cbf, 1 invisible), 654 guests, and 79 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Tell Me About a September Charter #287549
08/19/2022 08:47 PM
08/19/2022 08:47 PM
P
Pyrat Pistol Offline OP
Traveler
Pyrat Pistol  Offline OP
Traveler
P
Here's a first post from a long-time (decades?) lurker. Thanks to Carol and all of you for the great information over all these years.

I've bareboated in the BVIs many times, in many different months of the year, but not in the last 10 years, and never in September. So I'm sure much will be different when we arrive next month via STT. Questions I'll appreciate any guidance on include:

1) Ferries: Scheduled to arrive at STT at 1:40, hoping to catch the 2:30 RTFF. Would prefer to not buy tickets in advance, given the likelihood of ferry (or airline) delays. But is there any reason that the experienced would advise buying them-- whether if they are still running at covid levels of capacity, or that they might hold a ferry departure for a few minutes if you have a ticket, or anything else?

2) Mooring balls: Similar story-- I've read about the Boatyball drama, and am hoping that the September crowds will be low enough that I don't need to worry about Boatyball or any other reservations. Any reason to recommend Boatyball, or any similar services, given the September crowds? Do ball owners still come around in the boat and collect cash?

3) Closed businesses: related to mooring balls-- if a resort or other place (say, BEYC, CIBC) are closed for the off-season, any reason their mooring balls would be off-limits? Any reason it would either be legal trespassing or maybe just bad form to be on the beach, or dock, at any of those places?

4) Open businesses: Anybody know where to get a list of open businesses (especially anchorages/resorts)? Whether for the off-season, or just post-Irma closure, I expect a lot of places to be closed, but all the web searches I do (even here) seem to point to pre-Irma articles or posts. Without knowing our itinerary up-front, or by contacting each possible resort/restaurant that we might visit, is there an easy, up-to-date reference list?

5) Full Moon Party: Going to try to hit our first one at Trellis for the September full moon, but other threads (even on the first page) have references (for other times of the year) to the crowds. Wise or unwise to expect it to have some open balls--or is this the case study for making a boatyball reservation?

Thanks for any info you can offer.

BVI Sponsors
Re: Tell Me About a September Charter [Re: Pyrat Pistol] #287595
08/20/2022 07:39 PM
08/20/2022 07:39 PM
Texas, USA
GypsyMermaid Offline
Traveler
GypsyMermaid  Offline
Traveler
Texas, USA
I'm hoping someone will reply as I have most of the same questions

Re: Tell Me About a September Charter [Re: Pyrat Pistol] #287597
08/20/2022 07:54 PM
08/20/2022 07:54 PM
Bay Area
H
Husker Offline
Traveler
Husker  Offline
Traveler
H
Bay Area
1. That's a little tight for making the 230 ferry. go for the later one and your trip will be less stressful
2. You will have no trouble finding first come mooring balls this time of year. Most places will come 'round to collect. You may get lucky and get a free night or two. You can still use them even if the proprietor is not around to collect.
3, 4, 5 - Yeah, lots of places are closed during off-season. There were some other posts on TTOL recently listing closed and open businesses and restaurants. Search for posts by Jason, Ratsman or Manpot.

(Check the hurricane forecast before you leave home)

Re: Tell Me About a September Charter [Re: Pyrat Pistol] #287604
08/20/2022 10:31 PM
08/20/2022 10:31 PM
Georgia & South Carolina
D
Deepcut Offline
Traveler
Deepcut  Offline
Traveler
D
Georgia & South Carolina
No reservations needed. (Restaurants perhaps the day of to hopefully confirm they are open)

Mooring balls a non-issue during August... even more so in September

Weather monitoring is a must.

Trip Insurance suggested

Wes
s/v Sea Tiger (2022 Lagoon 46)
www.BareBoatBVI.com

Re: Tell Me About a September Charter [Re: Pyrat Pistol] #287649
08/21/2022 05:30 PM
08/21/2022 05:30 PM
USVI
LocalSailor Offline
Traveler