Member Spotlight
RickinAtlanta
RickinAtlanta
Woodstock, GA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
bvibev, jimma4191
Who's Online Now
32 registered members (Marsh, boucharda, John, MKGrey, CaribbeanCanadians, SXMScubaman, SeeDiver, OceanSong, timnboston, JeanneB, jbutah, onlymedication, lhbsurf, jazzgal, GeorgeC1, Jeannius, Manpot, Todd, xrayman67, EllenS, Jerry_R, StMartinFan, steve74, RichiT, WWII, charlie, Swifty, Don_and_Linda, 4 invisible), 897 guests, and 72 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Part 1, end of trip. #292275
12/10/2022 03:04 PM
12/10/2022 03:04 PM
Vancouver, WA
Todd Online content OP
Traveler
Todd  Online Content OP
Traveler
Vancouver, WA
What a trip!
I will start with our trip home, a bit in reverse order but there is a lot of talk about coming back through Miami. We were in First for this trip which we normally or almost always do with the trip being as long as it is for us. Our flights were SXM to MIA, MIA to DFW where we spent the night at the Grand Hyatt DFW, then DFW to PDX.
Clear is not at most airports and on the way down when we stayed the night in Miami we did not use Clear to get back through the airport, the gate we went to had TSA Pre but not Clear and the line was small so it was an easy decision. On the way back, however I did get the info from bdeely I think that MIA did have Clear, which I later looked up to find out which gates. Reason why that was key was that our flight from SXM was running 30 plus minutes late and we only had 90 minutes to begin with.

“So you are saying there’s a chance”

So I did what research I could to find the fastest way to get through everything starting with should we take the Skytrain to Immigration, which from D17 it was suggested we do that and noting that MJ has had a knee issue it was a good decision. With Global Entry we flew through that process and then were back walking and walking. We were carryon only so we passed where people were claiming luggage and exited and then went past where people were rechecking luggage and rather than wait in the line that has no precheck right there to clear security with a line which resembled the line for a popular ride at Disney World, we left like we were leaving the airport. My guess is if you were to recheck luggage there you could then do the same as we did. When you exit which is an uncomfortable feeling you end up walking a bit and going down a ramp which then to our right was an escalator to take us back up to departures where we then bypassed the entrance to D gates and went to the E Gate entrance just a short distance and used Clear which by the way at that time the Clear agent was not betting on us making the flight. A family let us go in front of them, amen since they were struggling to handle their luggage. Our gate was only E8 so it was a walking distance, not exactly a short walk (or jog in my case) but at least we did not require a train. During all this I did my best to check the app on my phone hoping that when we arrived that they were still boarding but I was getting no updates, could have been user error noting we were scrambling. I ran ahead with our bags to the gate, not quite OJ as I can not hurdle or make cuts like him but did my best (note I did rent from Hertz this trip). I got to the gate going towards the door and was stopped abruptly by AA staff, and then explained that they had not started boarding yet! So, we had time which was good because we needed to get some water and cool down from the haul. I wish I would have noticed the time on both ends but I am pretty sure we made it gate to gate in about 35 minutes, certainly under 40 and might have been 30. So it can be done!

My advice to anybody in a hurry in Miami entering the US is to A, have Global Entry with Pre Check. Clear will help but I really suggest to anybody traveling much at all to get Global Entry. Second, know that the Sky Train is likely your best option unless you are a fast walker, really fast. Third and most importantly don’t wait in the line after the luggage recheck right there, leave like we did and then re enter the normal departure areas and use the Pre Check lines there even if you are not in a hurry. Guessing that saved us 30 minutes and was much more pleasant. Last and not least, don’t give up hope on making your connecting flight.
We made it to DFW, being a Hyatt Globalist we then were upgraded to an Executive Suite with a runway view and slept like tired dogs. Saturday morning got breakfast, then took a nice easy trip to our gate for an 11am departure and I am writing this mid air so please excuse any grammar errors which I would normally make anyway but using this excuse. Presently comfortable with a vodka club soda looking forward to being home, for about 16 hours before I fly out again.

Had a great trip and looking forward to being back in March!
T

I prefer the Isle seat
SXM Sponsors
Re: Part 1, end of trip. [Re: Todd] #292276
12/10/2022 03:48 PM
12/10/2022 03:48 PM
Auburn, WA
SXMScubaman Online content
Traveler
SXMScubaman  Online Content
Traveler
Auburn, WA
Nice read. Safe travels to your final destination.

Re: Part 1, end of trip. [Re: Todd] #292278
12/10/2022 05:25 PM
12/10/2022 05:25 PM
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
islandgem Offline
Traveler
islandgem  Offline
Traveler
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Wow, that sounds like a real marathon in Miami! Glad to hear you made your connection and home soon.

Re: Part 1, end of trip. [Re: Todd] #292280
12/10/2022 07:11 PM
12/10/2022 07:11 PM
Central Florida!
Carol_Hill Offline
Traveler
Carol_Hill  Offline
Traveler
Central Florida!
thanks for the report. Looking forward to hearing all about the rest of your trip.

Carol Hill
Re: Part 1, end of trip. [Re: Todd] #292310
12/11/2022 03:27 PM
12/11/2022 03:27 PM
Portland, OR
jazzgal Online content
Traveler
jazzgal  Online Content
Traveler
Portland, OR
A little story about my DFW/Hyatt experience. Since I was concerned about my 1.5-hour connection in MIA, I cancelled my reservation at the Grand Hyatt because I didn't want to be stuck paying for a hotel reservation that I couldn't use if I didn't make the connection. Turned out that with wheelchair assistance, I made the connection with time to spare. I then attempted to re-reserve a room at the Grand Hyatt. I wasn't sure the reservation went through and did not receive the usual confirming email. I board the plane not knowing if I had a reservation or not. After landing at DFW, I opted not to use wheelchair assistance since SkyLink was close and it wasn't a long walk after getting off the train.

When I got to the reservation desk, I asked if I had a reservation. She could see that my previous reservation was cancelled but there was no new reservation, and . . . the hotel was fully booked. She tried to reinstate my previous reservation to no avail but said they did have a "comfort suite" available. She assured me there was a bed and full bath but that there would also be a conference table. I said I would take it.

When I got to the room, the door said "service entrance." I went in and there was a quite large pantry with several coffee makers, lots of water and juices, even a stovetop. Going through the next door, I came upon a large room that included a conference table with 8 chairs, a desk, a murphy bed, and a full bathroom. Only when seeing the side of the room with the bath did I notice there was a second "main" entrance door to the room. The bed was very comfortable, but the room was a new and interesting experience.

[Linked Image]
Re: Part 1, end of trip. [Re: Todd] #292331
12/12/2022 08:13 AM
12/12/2022 08:13 AM
Westchester /NYC
Colour1 Online mad
Traveler
Colour1  Online Mad
Traveler
Westchester /NYC
May I make a suggestion??? I just looked up JFK to PDX and there plenty of flights at great rates. Maybe next trip book flights to JFK, stay overnight nearby and catch JB or Delta first flight and be on the beach by 12:00!! Same on the return without doing that OJ thing that we all hate!!! I'm glad it all worked out!!

Sand Gravity, got to love it!
Re: Part 1, end of trip. [Re: Colour1] #292350
12/12/2022 02:44 PM
12/12/2022 02:44 PM
Portland, OR
jazzgal Online content
Traveler
jazzgal  Online Content
Traveler
Portland, OR
Todd is an EXTREMELY experienced traveler. I am sure he picked out the flights that were best for him and MJ under the existing circumstances.

[Linked Image]
Re: Part 1, end of trip. [Re: Colour1] #292363
12/12/2022 10:35 PM
12/12/2022 10:35 PM
Vancouver, WA
Todd Online content OP
Traveler
Todd  Online Content OP
Traveler
Vancouver, WA
Just got back home from my last flight of the year! I don't fly as much as some people but more than most, over 100k last year. The problem with going to the east coast to a city like JFK and then out is the cost, we pay not much more for a ticket than somebody that has the direct flight from the east coast, so add a RT to the east coast and my cost goes up significantly. I have over the years done trips east and then down, pretty much you name the route to SXM and I have done it. Via, JFK, EWR, ORD, LAX/SJU, ATL, PHL, CLT, IAD, MIA and with many stops along the way. We have flown down via United, Jet Blue (not a fan but would like to do Mint sometime), US Air, Delta (also not really a fan) and of course AA (I will not fly Spirit). I at one time or another had status with all of those minus Jet Blue. I like AA, and they are a partner with Alaska which is where I keep my status as Alaska Airlines has the best Frequent Flyer program and once they started flying east coast as well I moved most all my use to them. Still fly Delta at times, have not flown Jet Blue or United since Covid. All the problems I have had on AA are no worse then the issues I have had on Delta or United and I would say my worst experience ever was on Delta via ATL.

I wish that Miami had a better airport hotel as we do like leaving SXM and just getting the first flight out of the way and then relax but that airport hotel is terrible and we don't like to have to shuttle or cab/uber to a hotel. We really like the TWA Hotel at JFK but that is usually a bad route for us, the DFW option offers the Grand Hyatt which is in my top three airport hotels so we do like that option. We have made the entire trip in a single day and are actually scheduled to do that in March but that is a tiring trip and often results in a missed connection which really screws up the balance of the trip such as seat choices.

We also almost always fly in the big seats, just too far for a guy my size to sit in coach for that long. Everybody spends their money in different ways and for me that is an easy spend.

I suggest to anybody to work on gaining status in what ever hotel or airline program works for you, Alaska works well for most my travel and Hyatt has easily the best hotel loyalty program in the industry. I travel for business but it is also a hobby of mine, I actually enjoy the planning and working to get the most out of my travel benefits. I study it, create spreadsheets to manage values from which credit card to which hotel or mileage program to use. MJ just knows all she has to do is show up and I have it covered.

Enjoy the trip, you never know when it might be your last.
Todd

I prefer the Isle seat
Re: Part 1, end of trip. [Re: jazzgal] #292367
12/13/2022 08:08 AM
12/13/2022 08:08 AM
Peaceful Eastern North Carolin...
GaKaye Offline
Traveler
GaKaye  Offline
Traveler
Peaceful Eastern North Carolin...
Originally Posted by jazzgal
Todd is an EXTREMELY experienced traveler. I am sure he picked out the flights that were best for him and MJ under the existing circumstances.

Ya think? 🤣

Re: Part 1, end of trip. [Re: Todd] #292379
12/13/2022 01:29 PM
12/13/2022 01:29 PM
Washington State
Todd_Melinda_K Offline
Traveler
Todd_Melinda_K  Offline
Traveler
Washington State
Originally Posted by Todd
The problem with going to the east coast to a city like JFK and then out is the cost, we pay not much more for a ticket than somebody that has the direct flight from the east coast, so add a RT to the east coast and my cost goes up significantly. I have over the years done trips east and then down, pretty much you name the route to SXM and I have done it. Via, JFK, EWR, ORD, LAX/SJU, ATL, PHL, CLT, IAD, MIA and with many stops along the way.

I would add that the chance of bad weather in the winter keeps us from choosing northern east coast hubs

I wish that Miami had a better airport hotel as we do like leaving SXM and just getting the first flight out of the way and then relax but that airport hotel is terrible and we don't like to have to shuttle or cab/uber to a hotel.

This is disheartening to hear. We are overnighting in Jan at the Miami airport hotel.

We have made the entire trip in a single day and are actually scheduled to do that in March but that is a tiring trip and often results in a missed connection which really screws up the balance of the trip such as seat choices.

Been there, done that. Never again, we will overnight on our own terms!

We also almost always fly in the big seats, just too far for a guy my size to sit in coach for that long. Everybody spends their money in different ways and for me that is an easy spend.

Agreed, especially for those red eye legs!

Enjoy the trip, you never know when it might be your last.
Todd

Re: Part 1, end of trip. [Re: Todd_Melinda_K] #292381
12/13/2022 01:42 PM
12/13/2022 01:42 PM
Brookfield, CT.
pat Offline
Traveler
pat  Offline
Traveler
Brookfield, CT.
Isn’t that last the truth. Enjoy your trip however you see fit. Just do it! 🙂🎄🎄🙂

Respectfully,

pat

"Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat
them."
Re: Part 1, end of trip. [Re: Todd_Melinda_K] #292396
12/13/2022 06:22 PM
12/13/2022 06:22 PM
Auburn, WA
Traveler
Traveler
Auburn, WA
We have stayed numerous times at the Miami Airport hotel. It does serve the purpose for us.

Re: Part 1, end of trip. [Re: Todd] #292419
12/13/2022 09:37 PM
12/13/2022 09:37 PM
Auburn, WA
Traveler
Traveler
Auburn, WA
Good that you weren't doing through DFW today. Tornado touched down and airport passengers were told to shelter in place.