Member Spotlight
ameless
ameless
Washington State
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
bvibev, jimma4191
Who's Online Now
31 registered members (Steve27, Whale Tail, jaxon60, marybeth, lcote, SXMScubaman, RatmansWife, Kennys, jagmansr, Colour1, CaribbeanCanadians, Swifty, Reid, Fitzhughlaw, Deepcut, MKGrey, GaryC, Zanshin, Instigator, JandIrene, 11 invisible), 804 guests, and 73 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
China #94801
04/20/2016 01:18 PM
04/20/2016 01:18 PM
Austin, Texas
B
BerneandGary Offline OP
Traveler
BerneandGary  Offline OP
Traveler
B
Austin, Texas
Hubby will be traveling to China in a few weeks for business - he will be in Shanghai, Suzhou & Beijing. Any must do, must see, must eat at? He does have plans to go to the Great Wall & Tiananmen Square. Thanks.

Gotta Caribbean soul I can barely control and some Texas hidden here in my heart...(J.B.)
Sponsors
Re: China [Re: BerneandGary] #94802
04/27/2016 06:56 PM
04/27/2016 06:56 PM
Tustin CA
d_fish Offline
Traveler
d_fish  Offline
Traveler
Tustin CA
My husband and I visited China 2 years ago on a business trip. We did not go to Beijing or Suzhou, but did go to Shanghai. Quite the experience. Here are my suggestions:

Highly recommend Mandarin Oriental Hotel in Pudong.
Probably without a doubt the nicest hotel we have ever stayed in!! They will upgrade you to a better room if they are available and we were upgraded to an AMAZING room. Food in hotel excellent and a number of great restaurants to choose from. Visit and tour Oriental Pearl Building (within walking distance from hotel). Well worth it.
Visit the Bund, at night so you can view the light shows on the other side. Including view the amazing buildings lit up at night such as Dragon Tail (still under construction when we were there), the Bottle Opener and Oriental Pearl.
Visit Taikang Road. We went by taxi. It is a maze of wonderful shops, galleries and restaurants. Can easily spend a half day meandering around the area.
Visit Yu Garden (Yuyuan) We took a taxi. Wasn’t far but enjoyable morning.
If you have time which we didn’t, take the mag-lev train to the airport. It is state of the art and will be quite the experience! We wish we would have taken it just for the experience. It runs at 430 km per hour.
MO Concierge or any other hotel concierge for that matter will also have recommendations. There are many more things to do such as Old French Concession, but we simply ran out of time.

Enjoy your trip! It will be quite the experience!!

Re: China [Re: d_fish] #94803
04/27/2016 10:32 PM
04/27/2016 10:32 PM
Austin, Texas
B
BerneandGary Offline OP
Traveler
BerneandGary  Offline OP
Traveler
B
Austin, Texas
Thank you for all the info - very useful. I am sure the hotel would be fantastic, but since it is a business trip with other people from his office, he really does not get a choice on which hotel he stays at. Thanks, again.

Gotta Caribbean soul I can barely control and some Texas hidden here in my heart...(J.B.)

Moderated by  Eric_Hill