TravelTalkOnline

charlotte airport

Posted By: mikeandsandy

charlotte airport - 02/27/2015 10:18 PM

flying Chicago - charlotte - sxm Tuesday morning. Have 45 minute layover in Charlotte Weather prediction for ORD Tuesday morning is wintery mix. might be tight, especially if we have to de-ice before takeoff. Anyone know if we will have to go thru security in charlotte, or is landing/takeoff in the same concourse.
Posted By: RonDon

Re: charlotte airport - 02/27/2015 10:31 PM

I believe once your IN the boarding area of the airport you never leave outside the secure area to catch another flight. You don't go back through TSA.

Most airports group airlines together in a wing so if you're not changing airlines you should be staying on the same concourse.

We haven't used Charlotte in a couple of years but the last time we flew USAir from Prov RI and changed planes in Charlotte we only went 3 gate numbers to the next plane. They usually announce the connecting flights by city and give gate numbers while you're landing. If you don't hear yours don't hesitate to ask flight attendant. That way you don't have to search for a monitor to check gate number of the next flight.

Have a great time.
Posted By: rkitek

Re: charlotte airport - 02/27/2015 10:39 PM

You will not have to go through any check points. We've made that connection before. It only took us 20 minutes from touchdown, till we were on the plan to SXM.
Posted By: plequerre

Re: charlotte airport - 02/27/2015 10:52 PM

rkitek said:
You will not have to go through any check points. We've made that connection before. It only took us 20 minutes from touchdown, till we were on the plan to SXM.

Exactly. We did PIT-CLT-SXM earlier this month and we didn't go through security again in CLT.
Posted By: transplantsxm

Re: charlotte airport - 02/27/2015 11:55 PM

We do a 45 minute turn in CLT multiple times a year and have never missed the connection on the way down, like not once in maybe 80 trips. You should be good, just don't dally and remember to have your passport checked again at the departure gate as soon as you get there, it is required for out of country flights.
Posted By: mikeandsandy

Re: charlotte airport - 02/27/2015 11:58 PM

Thanks - a little less worry now
Posted By: JMSH

Re: charlotte airport - 03/02/2015 04:15 PM

Now going the other way can be tricky and time consuming as you need to go through US Customs in CLT...you need to pick up your luggage recheck your luggage and head through security again...leave yourself plenty of time for that.
Posted By: ChiTownHarry

Re: charlotte airport - 03/02/2015 05:35 PM

mikeandsandy said:
flying Chicago - charlotte - sxm Tuesday morning.

Did the same connection last month. 45 minutes is plenty of time.

If you have a smart phone, download the US Airways app.
As soon as you land, you can use it to find your arrival gate and departing gate. Airport maps with gate layouts are in the back of the US Air magazine.

Hope this helps.
Posted By: sail2wind

Re: charlotte airport - 03/02/2015 06:17 PM

We find Trip Tracker is as good or better than AA's app. We had a text for a gate change on Trip Tracker, 5 minutes before we got our AA notification.
Posted By: SXMWendell

Re: charlotte airport - 03/02/2015 07:32 PM

I just look at the arrival/departure screens at the airport. No lag time.

SXM??? Wendell
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: charlotte airport - 03/02/2015 07:53 PM

For big planes, it's probably not a problem, but I flew through Charlotte on a puddle jumper from Charlotte to Dayton in October 2014 and my flight was NOT listed on ANY departure screen in the airport that I ever saw. Their screens, I guess, are not big enough to show all the flights through there. I saw tons of people like me, standing there looking at the screens, never finding their flight. An app sounds like it is a good idea for people in my situation.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline