TravelTalkOnline

Orient update??

Posted By: Carol_Hill

Orient update?? - 11/28/2015 01:29 PM

I know there are lots of people on island. What's the latest on the Orient construction?? Any pictures?
Posted By: kish

Re: Orient update?? - 11/28/2015 01:41 PM

Do not have any photos, but we left the island on Thursday and I do not think they will be open before Christmas. No interior work done yet but they have started working on the parking area. There has been no announcement who will be allocated the restaurants.

Re: Orient update?? - 11/28/2015 01:42 PM

OK, thanks.
Posted By: mlachance

Re: Orient update?? - 11/29/2015 06:02 AM

Here are a few pictures posted on Orange Fever's Facebook page on Friday. No word on whether one of them will be theirs though.
Link
Posted By: PelicanPirate

Re: Orient update?? - 11/29/2015 02:10 PM

When the pool to guess opening dates started here I thought dec and Jan were pessimistic dates. Now they look optimistic.

I can't imagine any business in any line of work (except snow skiing) that could survive unaffected from 6 months of no revenue and total uncertainty about even having a location to reopen in.

Even if the tenants are great as are the new locations, I think that piece will forever be different?
Posted By: Ritchard

Re: Orient update?? - 11/29/2015 03:16 PM

PelicanPirate said:...I think that piece will forever be different?

Absolutely it will be different. The ramshackle nature of those beach bars was part of the appeal for me. I am sure once it is all settled out it will be good for the vendors.
Posted By: mrlion

Re: Orient update?? - 11/29/2015 03:37 PM

how far is grand case from orient village. Does a bus run to grand case from the village
Posted By: Modi

Re: Orient update?? - 11/29/2015 10:13 PM

It might be good for vendors short term, but the seawall, steps etc. I think will be a beachfront disaster... no beach = no customers. Messing with that shoreline like they've done may look appealing now, but they've assuredly change the natural dynamics of the wind and waves, and usually man armed with his pitiful arsenal of concrete and wood never wins the battle with the sea.
Posted By: GaKaye

Re: Orient update?? - 11/30/2015 10:56 AM

Last Tuesday there was about 30 feet of beach in front of the wall. Of course, that will change regularly, but it was interesting to me that there was little to no sand in front of the outer bar at Kontiki.

I agree that messing with the ocean's flow is usually disastrous.
Posted By: gotaluvit

Re: Orient update?? - 12/01/2015 07:38 PM

What is your assessment on construction progress, GaKaye?
Posted By: JohnandBev

Re: Orient update?? - 12/01/2015 08:21 PM

So back to the contest
We had Nov 30, that has come and gone. Can we pick again, any open dates?
Must be very hard on the operators, seems so uncertain, who gets a spot, when do they open
Got to be tough
J&B

Re: Orient update?? - 12/01/2015 08:43 PM

It's gotalovit's contest, they decide. I would say "no", as that's like getting two bites at the apple, but they decide.
Posted By: jeepers

Re: Orient update?? - 12/01/2015 08:48 PM

When I picked Monday dec 28th in time for new years I thought that was pessimistic but I could win! We are back in St. Martin January 7th & hope they will be open then!!
Posted By: iscrogr

Re: Orient update?? - 12/01/2015 09:29 PM

Photos from today show little progress. I'm guessing first of the year
Sorry, but don't have a web page so I can't upload them.

Re: Orient update?? - 12/01/2015 10:08 PM

If you want to, you can email them to me at chill@info-res.com and I will post them.
Posted By: gotaluvit

Re: Orient update?? - 12/01/2015 10:29 PM

OK, I was getting ready for an update...we had 36 guesses and as of today, 18 are out of contention. Apparently, a lot of us were optimistic...

I don't think a second guess should be allowed but there are open dates out there for other folks that are looking better than they did when we started this...
Posted By: iscrogr

Re: Orient update?? - 12/02/2015 12:14 PM

Carol;
Thanks, emailing now
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline