TravelTalkOnline

Drone aerial of Orient

Posted By: SXMScubaman

Drone aerial of Orient - 09/28/2017 08:00 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWOd1ck_syM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlNL0z-lwrM
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Drone aerial of Orient - 09/28/2017 08:22 PM

It's funny, I wonder if that first one was commissioned by the government, as it shows only the 'new' restaurants on Orient, and in detail that the average watcher isn't really interested in. Wonder if the government will have those restaurants rebuilt more sturdily this time?

And did anyone else notice how wide the sand was?? Guess that's what happens when there are no buildings.
Posted By: Jasperben

Re: Drone aerial of Orient - 09/28/2017 08:46 PM

I certainly hope they learn from this and build the new restaurants out of cement as the only buildings standing are the bath house and bathroom behind Pedro's which won't have broke my heart if that went, they needed a new cleaner one. It almost looks like they could just plop the roofs on when they build the new restaurants. Has there been any word on how Paradise View made out?
Posted By: mprevo

Re: Drone aerial of Orient - 09/28/2017 08:48 PM

It looks like Pedro's restrooms survived. Maybe my little red ticket will still be good after all.
Posted By: PelicanPirate

Re: Drone aerial of Orient - 09/29/2017 01:34 AM

Drone technology is awesome.......smooth, beautiful high res video.

Wish they had gone the length of the beach north to south.

Top dollar roof/roofing on those new joints. The sea walls half made it. Maybe some steel reinforced concrete corner columns next time under those roofs.

And all the expensive innards should be easily removable as storm approaches.

I can only imagine what resolve is left for the businesses who had to endure the shutdown only to be open a short time before being wiped out.
Posted By: sxmbeachlover

Re: Drone aerial of Orient - 09/29/2017 03:03 AM

Drones tell it like it is.
Posted By: outofthebox

Re: Drone aerial of Orient - 09/29/2017 10:21 AM

Found this aerial view...shows orient village and the beach from just south of Alamanda to Esmerelda. Still looking for a video that shows north and south!

https://vimeo.com/235978553
Posted By: Karen012748

Re: Drone aerial of Orient - 09/29/2017 07:20 PM

Any news on Esmeralda, looks like CoCo Beach is totally gone?
Posted By: decaym

Re: Drone aerial of Orient - 09/30/2017 12:03 PM

From the videos, it looks like the Club Orient end has a wider beach now. There is even sand below the rocks in front of Pedro's. The first time I was there back in '04 it was possible to walk below the rocks. The last couple of times I was there (as recently as 1-1/2 years ago) you had to go up over the rocks and through the parking lot to pass between the sides of the beach. Will be interesting to see how long the sand stays there.

Down by the village things don't look as good. I never knew there was so much rock shelf just below the surface of the sand! The overall width of the beach doesn't look too different but the back side will be mostly unusable unless the sand up the village makes it way back down to the beach where it belongs.
Posted By: doctorj

Re: Drone aerial of Orient - 10/03/2017 06:10 PM

Thank you for the links. So sad.
doctorj
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline