TravelTalkOnline

Global Entry Renewal - Card Activation Issues

Posted By: jmbcomms

Global Entry Renewal - Card Activation Issues - 11/25/2017 10:07 PM

I like it; it works well. I've renewed my membership and received my card but now activation is a whole new complicated hurdle. Specifically...

Has anyone JUST received their renewal Global Entry card, set up a TTP membership, and then gone looking for the "Activate Membership" button? If so I need to know where you found it AND where to migrate personal info from GOES to TTP (to set up your personal profile in TTP). Sound complicated? Uh-huh. Buttons they say to click to activate don't, in fact, exist.
Posted By: Bill_S

Re: Global Entry Renewal - Card Activation Issues - 11/26/2017 11:49 AM

Make sure your browser is set to allow cookies and not block them...
Posted By: smalbany

Re: Global Entry Renewal - Card Activation Issues - 11/26/2017 09:16 PM

As a long time Google Chrome user I know that problems arise with forms when I do not clear my cache of built-up browsing data and cookies. In Chrome: select settings; scroll down to bottom of page select Advanced; Under Privacy and Security select Clear Browsing Data; Select browsing history for last 4 weeks and check the 1st 4 boxes which represents the junk your browser collects. Select Clear Browsing Data. X out of settings....your done.
Reopen the app or form your attempting to complete.

Re: Global Entry Renewal - Card Activation Issues - 11/26/2017 10:10 PM

Thx guys. I use a program called CCleaner to handle those things periodically so those weren't the issues.

Seems that you must register now with the Trusted Traveler Program yourself, by setting up a new profile there, if you had previously set up a new GOES account. They did not automatically migrate you, a major annoyance / inconvenience. Beyond that they tell you to migrate your profile info from GOES to TTP by clicking something which takes you to something else where you can fill things in. Problem: the "something" they ask you to click does not in fact exist. As a reporter, I'm following this up and will write about it. As a taxpayer and a Global Entry cardholder (now renewed but not yet activated thanks to their slight little oversight) I'll tell them exactly what's missing and will hope they will solve it quickly.... Will keep you posted. Fortunately we renewed very early. our old cards don't expire until the end of May....
Posted By: GaKaye

Re: Global Entry Renewal - Card Activation Issues - 11/26/2017 11:07 PM

You keep mentioning the card, but the card really doesn't apply unless you're traveling from Mexico or Canada by land. Global Entry is tied to your passport, and I'd be surprised if you needed to do anything about that when you renew. You can't use the card for air travel. I realize you know that; just wondering why you're so concerned about activating the card.
Posted By: Hook

Re: Global Entry Renewal - Card Activation Issues - 11/27/2017 03:42 AM

I had the same issue a few weeks ago. Try using internet explorer. That worked for me.
Posted By: boucharda

Re: Global Entry Renewal - Card Activation Issues - 11/27/2017 12:47 PM

I believe he only mentioned receiving the new card with the new TT number. From here you have to activate it and link it to your passport.
I would assume that you can renew and get a new TT number but it won't work for TSA precheck unless activated and linked...and...changing your TT number on airlines saved info would be next.

I am interested in the results 'cuz I will need to do the same soon...

I would first try, as suggested, a different browser before going any further though
Posted By: BlueGreenWater

Re: Global Entry Renewal - Card Activation Issues - 11/27/2017 08:47 PM

When my husband and I renewed our Global Entry we retained the same original numbers.

Re: Global Entry Renewal - Card Activation Issues - 11/27/2017 09:05 PM

Hmmmm...so what is the deal with the mentioned linking it? Now sounds like a renew and done event and no biggie....
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Global Entry Renewal - Card Activation Issues - 11/27/2017 10:05 PM

I think the only time you need to re-link it is if you renewed your passport.
Posted By: Fletch

Re: Global Entry Renewal - Card Activation Issues - 11/27/2017 11:28 PM

BlueGreenWater said:
When my husband and I renewed our Global Entry we retained the same original numbers.

Same with us, we renewed about 6 months ago so we didn’t have to update any of our airline profiles.

Re: Global Entry Renewal - Card Activation Issues - 11/28/2017 12:09 PM

THAT makes sense 'cuz the PP number changed. Did that in the summer with no issues.
Posted By: MotownTim

Re: Global Entry Renewal - Card Activation Issues - 11/30/2017 11:46 AM

I used my Global Entry yesterday and it worked despite having difficulties updating my membership information in October. Can’t believe they still haven’t fixed the problems on the new website by now though.

Re: Global Entry Renewal - Card Activation Issues - 12/03/2017 02:56 PM

The Global Entry Card is used with your passport to return to the US from overseas. It is not valid if not activated.

Re: Global Entry Renewal - Card Activation Issues - 12/03/2017 02:57 PM

It is. That's not the issue.

Re: Global Entry Renewal - Card Activation Issues - 12/03/2017 02:58 PM

The numbers are the same but their site does not contain the links they say to click to activate it.

Re: Global Entry Renewal - Card Activation Issues - 12/03/2017 02:59 PM

I wish. It isn't. They moved from GOES to TT and activating new cards is REQUIRED but you can't get there from here. I'll try again this week.

Re: Global Entry Renewal - Card Activation Issues - 12/03/2017 03:01 PM

I don't know how that would work now since the required links don't even exist on the page. frown

Re: Global Entry Renewal - Card Activation Issues - 12/03/2017 03:42 PM

jmbcomms said:
The Global Entry Card is used with your passport to return to the US from overseas. It is not valid if not activated.

I've had GE for years and have returned from overseas into the US multiple times. I've never used the card.
Posted By: BeachKitten

Re: Global Entry Renewal - Card Activation Issues - 12/03/2017 04:08 PM

GaKaye said:
jmbcomms said:

Ditto. Once your Global Entry card is linked to your passport, you don't even need the card. I've carried it and it was never necessary.

Something I learned recently when re-entering the US....using Mobile Passport is an either/or situation...lol....I had done Mobile Passport and then went to Global Entry, received an error. Should've just gone to GE

I've had GE for years and have returned from overseas into the US multiple times. I've never used the card.

Re: Global Entry Renewal - Card Activation Issues - 12/03/2017 05:58 PM

The Global Entry Card is used with your passport to return to the US from overseas.

No it isn't. Once linked to your new passport the card stays at home...I have never taken it anywhere. Passport only...

The NUMBER is what is important and used when booking flights and also for Trusted traveler/ PreCheck but the actual card is not needed

Edited to add: oops...missed the post above...duplicate thought
Posted By: RunnernReader

Re: Global Entry Renewal - Card Activation Issues - 12/03/2017 08:29 PM

YUP ..The TRUSTED TRAVELER PROGRAM is a whole new kettle of fish: we registered for our Global Entry Card in September after returning from Ecuador. BUT ...

ON OCTOBER 1, everything changed .... a whole new system which required a whole new procedure for registration and ACCESS (we had to re-do EVERYTHING)

Login now requires EMAIL, and PASSWORD ... BUT ..wait for it: a further connection such as a TEXT MESSAGE to your cel ..... SO you loggin, but then have to wait for a TEXT MESSAGE with a further confirmation number which you much then INSET before you can access your DASHBOARD (as they call it) which has all your information.

You have to get to THIS DASHBOARD in order to activate or re-activate your card.

Do it a couple of times and it's easy! ...... But first time, it's a conundrum.

Re: Global Entry Renewal - Card Activation Issues - 12/03/2017 10:12 PM

We use the card when we return from Canada by car. You go through the Nexus lane which is generally faster.

Re: Global Entry Renewal - Card Activation Issues - 12/03/2017 11:46 PM

Yes; I mentioned land travel from Canada and Mexico in my first post.

Re: Global Entry Renewal - Card Activation Issues - 12/04/2017 12:07 PM

Hmmm...although I remember that as a potential use I've never considered that. We've always used our passports. Might bring both next time and do some lane surfing.

Re: Global Entry Renewal - Card Activation Issues - 12/05/2017 01:05 PM

We use our passports to get into Canada and the card on the way back.

Re: Global Entry Renewal - Card Activation Issues - 01/11/2018 10:27 PM

Just an update on the GE renewal.

Renewed online a week or so ago and went through the new password and all the confirm previous info stuff. No biggie. Received notice today that it was approved. No change in Trusted traveler number and nothing else needs to be done. No linking etc....present membership won't expire until my August birthday and then be good for 5 years after that
Posted By: candj

Re: Global Entry Renewal - Card Activation Issues - 01/12/2018 12:30 AM

We still take the card with us and show it in the TSA precheck security line as a form of identification. It is easier than pulling out the passport.
Posted By: RunnernReader

Re: Global Entry Renewal - Card Activation Issues - 01/12/2018 07:42 PM

as of October 1, 2017, Global Entry is now called Trusted Traveler Program with a new addy: https://ttp.cbp.dhs.gov/

Originally applied in Sept to GE and had to completely re-apply on Oct 1st to the new address.....

Hope this may help!

Re: Global Entry Renewal - Card Activation Issues - 01/12/2018 08:06 PM

Yup...Trusted Traveler Program actually includes four programs..one of which is Global Entry (Nexus, Sentry and Fast)
Posted By: Snorkeller

Re: Global Entry Renewal - Card Activation Issues - 01/12/2018 08:40 PM

We have never carried the Global Entry cards - during time we have had Global Entry, we have never entered US except off a plane or a cruise ship. When off a plane entering the US, we use the Global Entry kiosks. Have never thought or known we could use Global Entry when entering US off cruise ship. On our last cruise, when we disembarked Konigsdam in Port Everglades in Fort Lauderdale, they had a separate line at Customs/Immigration for "Global Entry." When I went to get in line, thinking that there might be a kiosk as in the airports, I was told that we had to have our cards - i.e., our Global Entry cards - to use that line. It didn't make much difference in this case in terms of how fast we could get through the lines, but I will have our Global Entry cards with us in future in case we need the cards to use such a dedicated line. I have since learned that ICE will be providing Global Entry lines in all of Florida cruise ports.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline