TravelTalkOnline

Incredible footage.Rainforest Adventures

Posted By: SXMBND

Incredible footage.Rainforest Adventures - 01/04/2018 01:58 PM

Makes me want to go back even sooner!!!!!!! I had no idea that this is what they were creating.........

https://youtu.be/2d_TuI-n4XE
Posted By: BeachKitten

Re: Incredible footage.Rainforest Adventures - 01/04/2018 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by SXMBND
Makes me want to go back even sooner!!!!!!! I had no idea that this is what they were creating.........

https://youtu.be/2d_TuI-n4XE

It's a very controversial project however.

Re: Incredible footage.Rainforest Adventures - 01/04/2018 02:08 PM

Why...........? Minimal disturbance.............. major financial commitment by someone other than the govt. I presume..........cash cow and tremendous attraction for folks visiting the island......
Posted By: Kennys

Re: Incredible footage.Rainforest Adventures - 01/04/2018 02:14 PM

Great Lunch and Dinner food with great atmosphere.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Incredible footage.Rainforest Adventures - 01/04/2018 02:21 PM

Not sure I understand all the nuances, but the site is an important SXM historical site, and many people did not think it should be made into a commercial venture. I actually thought it was already open? The restaurant definitely is open. Regardless, I personally won't be going for the Rainforest Adventure part, as I am terrified of heights!!!

Re: Incredible footage.Rainforest Adventures - 01/04/2018 03:00 PM

To each his/her own. Most everyone on here beaches and moans about the "Cruise Ship Folks" invading.........Orient............. Sunset BB............ Mullet.......Divi dive area......... fill in the blanks.
Where are all of those CSF going to be welcomed to spend their much needed $$$$$$$$$ ?
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: Incredible footage.Rainforest Adventures - 01/04/2018 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by SXMBND
Why...........? Minimal disturbance.............. major financial commitment by someone other than the govt. I presume..........cash cow and tremendous attraction for folks visiting the island......

The company that owns it has 6 locations.
Click on "Destinations" to view the other locations. Rain Forest

I personally doubt the island is seeing much of the cash other than what the workers (if local) earn and the local politicians that were likely paid of for this to happen. There was some chatter that the venture was funded by a cruise line but I have no idea if that is factual or not.

Initially locals were restricted as to when they could partake in the rides.

Many locals and residents were very upset with the property being used in this manner.

Carol...it is open as Junior's sister rode it the other day and like you , she was terrified of heights.

Re: Incredible footage.Rainforest Adventures - 01/04/2018 03:16 PM

There is already one new venture opened probably in anticipation of the Rain Forest being successful. From the topography of the site it appears much of the land was relatively useless.

"Many locals and residents were very upset with the property being used in this manner."
Typical NIBY response...land is privately owned and I don't see any islanders willing to make any tremendous financial commitments required.......... unless it's a high density intrusive residential project where the $$$ turnover is relatively quick.

Re: Incredible footage.Rainforest Adventures - 01/04/2018 03:16 PM

JD--I don't think that's EXACTLY correct, that locals were restricted as to when they could ride. There was (or is??) a resident rate, which is lower than the normal rate, and it was going to be limited to when ships are not in. If they wanted to pay the regular rate, they could get in any time, as I understood it. Now due to Irma, they may have relaxed that policy.

And that's OK, I'm still not going to ride it!!! laugh

Re: Incredible footage.Rainforest Adventures - 01/04/2018 03:20 PM

There was some restriction with regards to the rate and or time and you may be correct that it was a reduced rate and only when ships/tourists were not involved.

Just close your eyes, you will be fine. Just like parasailing!
Posted By: BillandElaine

Re: Incredible footage.Rainforest Adventures - 01/04/2018 03:21 PM

The land was gifted to the people of Sint Maarten by the Emilio Wilson family. Another government slap in the face. You will never find me there!

Re: Incredible footage.Rainforest Adventures - 01/04/2018 03:23 PM

Never been parasailing either!!! laugh

Re: Incredible footage.Rainforest Adventures - 01/04/2018 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by BillandElaine
The land was gifted to the people of Sint Maarten by the Emilio Wilson family. Another government slap in the face. You will never find me there!

Thanks Elaine. That is what I thought with regards to how the land was done.
Posted By: pat

Re: Incredible footage.Rainforest Adventures - 01/04/2018 04:19 PM

And they didn’t even respect the name of the donor in official naming of the venue. I’m with you, Elaine.

Re: Incredible footage.Rainforest Adventures - 01/04/2018 05:38 PM

Thanks Elaine. I didn't remember what the story was.
Posted By: Birdwatcher

Re: Incredible footage.Rainforest Adventures - 01/04/2018 06:31 PM

I'm not a lover of heights but would probably brave going up to get some panoramic views of the island.

Wasn't there supposed to be a water slide there too? I saw another video where they appeared to be testing it, without water!
Posted By: boucharda

Re: Incredible footage.Rainforest Adventures - 01/04/2018 07:16 PM

There's a tube thing that goes down artificial turf
Posted By: RonDon

Re: Incredible footage.Rainforest Adventures - 01/04/2018 07:21 PM

Several years ago we drove up into that area along skinny dirt road with no guard rail. The view was magnificent! Could see every point on the island. It was fine as it was. Anyone could have driven up there (with guts and proper vehicle) no need to deface the land and the name of Emilio.
Posted By: BeachKitten

Re: Incredible footage.Rainforest Adventures - 01/04/2018 10:56 PM

Isn't there also an issue of a burial ground there?
Posted By: BillandElaine

Re: Incredible footage.Rainforest Adventures - 01/05/2018 01:37 PM

Yes, that is correct.

Re: Incredible footage.Rainforest Adventures - 01/11/2018 02:16 PM

click here for story in today's Daily Herald
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline