TravelTalkOnline

Orient Beach Report

Posted By: gotaluvit

Orient Beach Report - 02/01/2018 04:00 PM

Status as of 1/30/2018
Substantial clean-up at all 5 “stars” of Orient locations
Orient village cleaned up (three or more restaurants up and running, Antounin’s SP? under construction)
Club Orient beach limited debris, moderate sea weed, substantial debris in the ocean including knives, bottles, etc. (did not check other areas on the beach)
Chair rentals only at Club O, maybe some at Chez Leandra (on cruise ship days there are far more cruisers than bathers in Perch Lite area).
Only food is at Perch “Lite” and Chez Leandra (limited)
Construction at Sun Beach and one other…all former shacks using shipping containers as main structure (shack operators were threatened with eviction but as of writing they are still operating / building)
Active work on sewer system in Waikiki area
Beach near Papagayo unusable due to sewage issues
Beach is fine to walk…no obvious signs of glass / metal but it has to be somewhere…be cautious.
Posted By: JMSH

Re: Orient Beach Report - 02/01/2018 06:34 PM

This is the only reply that I have read, coming out of the Orient area, that makes sense......everyone kept saying that the beach and the water are all clear and cleaned up......I found it hard to imagine that every bottle, plate, utensils, nails, wood, shingles etc etc etc. would have all been cleaned up. This would be especially true in the Orient area where lots of the people had damage to their own property and hence would not be in the water picking up debris and cleaning the ocean floor..... I love the Orient area but lets be realistic, the recovery will take years!
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Orient Beach Report - 02/01/2018 07:14 PM

I agree that, on ANY beach on SXM, beach shoes would probably be a good idea for quite some time.
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: Orient Beach Report - 02/01/2018 08:20 PM

Heavy soled sandals for sure.
Posted By: bluejacket

Re: Orient Beach Report - 02/01/2018 09:18 PM

Just read that "By order of the president, the community of Saint-Martin once again allows bathing on" Orient Bay.

Here is the link.
https://www.facebook.com/ournewssxm...81/10154896462895882/?type=3&theater

It's from Collectivité de Saint-Martin / Our News. Is that a legitimate news source?
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Orient Beach Report - 02/01/2018 09:25 PM

Daily Herald link

from today. I think it was just a general announcement that all those beaches are safe to swim. Doesn't mean they WEREN 'T safe before. And I think that is more aimed at pollutants in the water also.
Posted By: sxmmartini

Re: Orient Beach Report - 02/01/2018 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by Carol_Hill
I agree that, on ANY beach on SXM, beach shoes would probably be a good idea for quite some time.

Wear beach shoes... the water is full of debris from the hurricane,,, Plant yourself on the beach and be careful walking into the water!
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Orient Beach Report - 02/02/2018 12:27 AM

I know the nature foundation has been doing beach clean up to a depth of seven feet but I doubt if they can find it all.
Posted By: Loveheather

Re: Orient Beach Report - 02/02/2018 12:34 AM

We are arriving Sunday. How do we join a group cleaning up the beach.and water ?Is there a place where one can deposit deris that one collects? We will be in the Orient Beach area

Re: Orient Beach Report - 02/02/2018 12:38 AM

There is a lagoon cleanup scheduled for this Sunday.
https://www.thedailyherald.sx/islands/73236-second-simpson-bay-lagoon-clean-up-slated-for-february-4
Posted By: BeachKitten

Re: Orient Beach Report - 02/02/2018 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by SXMScubaman
I know the nature foundation has been doing beach clean up to a depth of seven feet but I doubt if they can find it all.

Is that in the water depth, or on the beach depth?

I can imagine that with the storm surge that swept through Orient Village, it must have taken back with it all of the contents of the restaurants and bars....all to be deposited out in the water and waiting for you to step on.

Re: Orient Beach Report - 02/02/2018 01:00 AM

Article I read said water depth.
Posted By: pasnyder

Re: Orient Beach Report - 02/02/2018 12:14 PM

A video posted on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SXMLATESTNEWS/videos/1984852811756622/
Posted By: boucharda

Re: Orient Beach Report - 02/02/2018 12:32 PM

That video has its' own thread:

Club Orient Damage
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline