TravelTalkOnline

Landfill FIre Closes Government Buildings

Posted By: ruralcarrier

Landfill FIre Closes Government Buildings - 02/05/2018 02:47 PM

Daily Herald Link

A friend on the island posted a live video on facebook last night. This fire appeared to be much worse than what most have been in the past.

I guess the government employees are more important than the rest of the island residents that have to put up with this??

Re: Landfill FIre Closes Government Buildings - 02/05/2018 02:54 PM

Not sure how many of you can view the video but here it is. He made it "public" so I am hoping others can see it.

Video
Posted By: BillandElaine

Re: Landfill FIre Closes Government Buildings - 02/05/2018 03:19 PM

They should be so ashamed
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Landfill FIre Closes Government Buildings - 02/05/2018 04:08 PM

That's sad. They need to get that situation under control.

Re: Landfill FIre Closes Government Buildings - 02/05/2018 04:42 PM

We are now choking in Cupecoy. Thick smoke and stink. We've had the stink before, but never the smoke. It's a big one.
Posted By: kccouple

Re: Landfill FIre Closes Government Buildings - 02/05/2018 04:43 PM

The dump is near Phillipsburg?

Re: Landfill FIre Closes Government Buildings - 02/05/2018 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by kccouple
The dump is near Phillipsburg?

Yes, near the Salt Pond.
Posted By: enzolarosa

Re: Landfill FIre Closes Government Buildings - 02/05/2018 04:57 PM

Yez it is the Welcoming hill of garbage right behind the Government building.
This morning Philipsburg was engulfed in a tick cloud of poisonous smoke coming from the new dumpsite in Pond Island across from the old one. Most activities in Philipsburg have come to a halt. I am in Maho now and I can smell the smoke from the dump.
No OUR POLITICIANS ARE NOT ASHAMED AT ALL, I HAVE NOT SEEN A SINGLE ONE OF THEM PUTTING THE DUMP AS ONE OF THEIR PRIORITIES ON THEIR AGENDA FOR THeE UPCOMING ELECTIONS.

Re: Landfill FIre Closes Government Buildings - 02/05/2018 05:17 PM

Link--Schools closed also

Re: Landfill FIre Closes Government Buildings - 02/05/2018 05:55 PM

Yep. Just saw that but had not gotten around to posting yet. Pretty sad state of affairs. Can you imagine first time cruise visitors being greeted with this? WHY would they want to come back if this was their first impression??
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Landfill FIre Closes Government Buildings - 02/05/2018 07:24 PM

There is a live feed from the Daily Heard of Facebook showing the firefighters working on the flames.

Re: Landfill FIre Closes Government Buildings - 02/05/2018 07:26 PM

Live feed of fire.
https://www.facebook.com/heraldsxm/...eTApPhC0DbZZAQDHaLH8JKLKn-8SOyGHpVYPkqvU
Posted By: pat

Re: Landfill FIre Closes Government Buildings - 02/05/2018 08:29 PM

Can’t say I blame the government for going into hiding. They deserve to be lynched, every one of them, for allowing this debacle to continue year after year and the only change being that it gets even worse and goes further downhill.

Edited to add:

It was suggested that my use of the words, “ they should be lynched....” was pretty harsh.

This was said tongue in cheek and I think most who know me would get that, but for those who mistook my meaning, let me restate - the fact the government has permitted this disgusting situation to continue is terrible, and every last one of them should be removed from office. Allowing this to continue year after year only worsening as opposed to improving is near criminal. By failing to correct the problem they have allowed everyone on the island to become a victim to their inactivity at whatever thei dividual costs to each of them..

And besides, Scuba, when push comes to shove, I’m a lover, not a fighter!

Re: Landfill FIre Closes Government Buildings - 02/05/2018 08:35 PM

"They deserve to be lynched, every one of them"
That's pretty harsh words.
Posted By: moxie

Re: Landfill FIre Closes Government Buildings - 02/06/2018 12:38 AM

No internet for most of the day either
Posted By: Julius

Re: Landfill FIre Closes Government Buildings - 02/06/2018 01:52 AM

Update from the Government of Sint Maarten:

** Landfill Fire: No School on Tuesday for Philipsburg Schools. Evacuation of Pond Island Underway. Government Administration Building Remains Closed for a Second Day **

GREAT BAY, Sint Maarten (DCOMM) – Due to the fire at a landfill site on Pond Island, the Prime Minister and members of the Council of Ministers continue to assess the situation and based on discussions Monday evening, a number of decisions have been taken.
The decision was taken to have the following schools in the Philipsburg area to remain closed on Tuesday, February 6: Charlotte Brookson Academy; Oranje School; Genevieve DeWeever School - Cycles 1 & 2; Sister Borgia School; St. Joseph Primary School; and Sundial School. The Minister of Education advises the University of St. Martin to remain closed on Tuesday as a precautionary measure.

A decision was taken to evacuate the residents and persons in the temporary shelters at the Little League Ball Park and the Festival Village to an alternative location. The evacuation of these two temporary shelters is taking place Monday evening.

The Ministry of Public Health, Social Development and Labour is coordinating this evacuation.

Residents that live on Pond Island are strongly advised to evacuate their homes and find alternative shelter with family and/or friends.

The Police and Fire departments will be sending teams through Pond Island residential areas to assess which persons are still in their home, and will encourage them to seek alternative housing.

The Fire Department has indicated during a Monday evening assessment that the fire continues to burn on the landfill. The Ministry of VROMI and the Fire Department have implemented a system of trenching along the perimeter of the fire to prevent further spread of the fire.

Although this method has contained the fire to a certain extent, the massive size of the fire continues to flare up and generate smoke. The Fire Department from the North side of the island continues to render assistance.

The general population is advised to wear nose and mouth mask to avoid the inhalation of the fumes generated from the fire.

In general the Government Building and specific public services will remain closed on Tuesday, February 6; Secretary Generals and Department Heads within the seven ministries were advised to communicate with Civil Servants that are under their management to report to work where necessary and to arrange alternative locations and measures to ensure operations within key services of the Government of Sint Maarten continues.

The Ministry of VSA section Social Services will be available at the Government Administration Building for emergency information for persons living in the Pond Island area.

The Fire Department, continues to advise persons living downwind from the landfill fire, to close windows and doors, especially persons who have a respiratory challenge such as asthma, or shortness of breath; and to pay particular attention to young children and senior citizens.

Re: Landfill FIre Closes Government Buildings - 02/06/2018 11:40 AM

I understood your statement and knew it was "tongue in cheek".

Re: Landfill FIre Closes Government Buildings - 02/06/2018 11:43 AM

Daily Herald Article Tuesday

Re: Landfill FIre Closes Government Buildings - 02/06/2018 02:24 PM

Link to editorial in today's paper

Re: Landfill FIre Closes Government Buildings - 02/07/2018 01:52 PM

Today's story link

Three cruise ships reportedly will not dock today because of this mess. Will they FINALLY do something???? Oh they are going to talk about it. Link

Re: Landfill FIre Closes Government Buildings - 02/07/2018 01:58 PM

Sorry, duplicate post.

Re: Landfill FIre Closes Government Buildings - 02/07/2018 02:10 PM

Saw the ships coming in this morning. Guess they had a change of heart. Hope THIS wakes up the crooks in office.

Re: Landfill FIre Closes Government Buildings - 02/07/2018 02:18 PM

I wonder how good a time they will have, with the smoke? How bad is it today?
Posted By: irina

Re: Landfill FIre Closes Government Buildings - 02/07/2018 02:28 PM

Heard tourists on Front Street in masks yesterday.
And explosions last night. This is such a bad situation. Criminal.
What about pregnant women, or people with immune disease breathing this toxic crap.
Human and environmental disaster.

Re: Landfill FIre Closes Government Buildings - 02/07/2018 03:03 PM

Just listened to the Council of Ministers press briefing. Prime Minister says the ships have docked and folks are in town. It's bad.

And now choking us again way over here!

Re: Landfill FIre Closes Government Buildings - 02/07/2018 04:03 PM

Saw the tourists today riding ATV's with masks on.
Posted By: CLIFFTOPS

Re: Landfill FIre Closes Government Buildings - 02/07/2018 04:10 PM

Looking at Philipsbug web cam from Holland House and looks like abosolutely clear day.
No smoke.

Re: Landfill FIre Closes Government Buildings - 02/07/2018 04:29 PM

Because the wind is blowing in a different direction at the moment.
Posted By: CLIFFTOPS

Re: Landfill FIre Closes Government Buildings - 02/07/2018 06:12 PM

Web cam at airport looks clear also.
Are they getting the fire under control.

Re: Landfill FIre Closes Government Buildings - 02/07/2018 07:43 PM

No, not under control.

Re: Landfill FIre Closes Government Buildings - 02/07/2018 08:26 PM

Letter From Pride Foundation
Posted By: jazzgal

Re: Landfill FIre Closes Government Buildings - 02/07/2018 10:05 PM

Well, talking usually precedes action. grin

Re: Landfill FIre Closes Government Buildings - 02/07/2018 10:57 PM

Actually, in SXM, talking usually precedes more talking... mad

Re: Landfill FIre Closes Government Buildings - 02/07/2018 11:30 PM

Especially with elections coming up. All kinds of promises will be made. Actions, not so much.

Re: Landfill FIre Closes Government Buildings - 02/08/2018 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by SXMScubaman
Especially with elections coming up. All kinds of promises will be made. Actions, not so much.

Probably just about 100% correct.
Posted By: BeachKitten

Re: Landfill FIre Closes Government Buildings - 02/08/2018 02:35 AM

Is this even being talked about as an issue during the campaign?

Re: Landfill FIre Closes Government Buildings - 02/08/2018 03:02 AM

Marlin said every government that has sat in the past years has, in one way or the other, worked on finding a solution for the dump, but by the time each responsible Minister gets around to putting something in place, government changes, the plan is scrapped and the process starts all over again.

Daily Herald link <----

Re: Landfill FIre Closes Government Buildings - 02/08/2018 09:31 AM

Listen to them mumbling

https://www.facebook.com/SXMGOV/videos/958978317606827/

Re: Landfill FIre Closes Government Buildings - 02/08/2018 10:35 AM

I am going to lock this thread and start a new one so as to hopefully not have duplicate links as there is new information coming out daily and sometimes multiple times a day.

Thanks.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline