TravelTalkOnline

Landfill/Dump Fire(s) #2

Posted By: ruralcarrier

Landfill/Dump Fire(s) #2 - 02/08/2018 10:38 AM

Finger Pointing/Management

Arson?
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Landfill/Dump Fire(s) #2 - 02/08/2018 02:28 PM

Sounds like there is a reason why these fires keep happening, based on that contract for management of the dump.
Posted By: JohnandBev

Re: Landfill/Dump Fire(s) #2 - 02/08/2018 02:49 PM

Anything but take responsibility!
They just discovered they have dump fires and the reasons?
As an irrelevant aside, where foes that amount of earth come from on an island like SXM

So the solution is to get more input ...
Rome and the fiddlers still live

J&B
Posted By: BGH

Re: Landfill/Dump Fire(s) #2 - 02/08/2018 02:52 PM

Sounds like the lowest bidder was awarded the last contract and extended for a second year . That said , the gov’t also is responsible for oversight ..where are the checks and balances within the gov’t to assure they receive what are paying for ? There waste management strategy is a total failure .

Re: Landfill/Dump Fire(s) #2 - 02/08/2018 03:00 PM

A true "dump" fire can burn for a long time in many cases, even years in a controlled environment. The newest dump/landfill is from Irma debris. Obviously this is not a long term fire and one would think should be able to be controlled.
Posted By: BeachKitten

Re: Landfill/Dump Fire(s) #2 - 02/08/2018 05:15 PM

The Pride Foundation has written a letter to the Governor. And also asks the King to intervene!

https://www.thedailyherald.sx/opini...undation-to-the-governor-of-sint-maarten

Re: Landfill/Dump Fire(s) #2 - 02/08/2018 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by BeachKitten
The Pride Foundation has written a letter to the Governor. And also asks the King to intervene!

https://www.thedailyherald.sx/opini...undation-to-the-governor-of-sint-maarten

Yes, this was posted yesterday in the previous thread.

Re: Landfill/Dump Fire(s) #2 - 02/08/2018 05:31 PM

According to the editorial in today's Daily Herald

Link here

the answer is the 550M Euro Dutch funds for the reconstruction. Sounds logical to me. Perhaps the only way to get this done, to take it out of the local politicians' hands.

Re: Landfill/Dump Fire(s) #2 - 02/08/2018 05:34 PM

Perhaps getting the politicians out of the loop is the answer.

Re: Landfill/Dump Fire(s) #2 - 02/08/2018 06:51 PM

That's what I get for working and not checking TTOL! lol
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Landfill/Dump Fire(s) #2 - 02/08/2018 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by BeachKitten
That's what I get for working and not checking TTOL! lol

Work is a four letter word in my vocabulary. Adding the ing makes it worse. LOL

Re: Landfill/Dump Fire(s) #2 - 02/09/2018 10:21 AM

And More Talk

Re: Landfill/Dump Fire(s) #2 - 02/09/2018 02:52 PM

From the article linked above:

"This agreement expired on October 16, 2017.
Amsterdam, based on its working relationship with St. Maarten, officially offered to dispose at least 50 per cent of the present landfill. This offer would significantly aid Government in disposal of existing waste."

Unbelievable! They didn't take them up on that offer?!!!
Posted By: BillandElaine

Re: Landfill/Dump Fire(s) #2 - 02/09/2018 03:20 PM

No they did not. They are petrified of Holland.
Posted By: pat

Re: Landfill/Dump Fire(s) #2 - 02/09/2018 04:00 PM

Can you blame them? With all the assumed shenanigans that go on down there, I can't say as I blame the island fathers for not wanting Holland looking at the books. I think they'd probably have to build another jail, no?
Posted By: BillandElaine

Re: Landfill/Dump Fire(s) #2 - 02/09/2018 04:24 PM

They probably all have immunity written into their contracts. I'm almost sure they do.
Posted By: dave

Re: Landfill/Dump Fire(s) #2 - 02/09/2018 05:31 PM

I guess Google Search doesn't work in SXM.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/does-burning-garbage-to-produce-energy-make-sense/
Posted By: irina

Re: Landfill/Dump Fire(s) #2 - 02/09/2018 06:15 PM

There was a tell all written about 20 years ago that exposed all the "shenanigans" done by Windward Roads or someone. Can't remember now.
It was a construction company. Maybe someone else remembers the details.

Re: Landfill/Dump Fire(s) #2 - 02/09/2018 09:48 PM

Talks Halted
Posted By: moxie

Re: Landfill/Dump Fire(s) #2 - 02/09/2018 10:29 PM

We have been told by locals that the money will only
come after the election,
if the new government agrees to their terms- that’s another 3 weeks away!

Re: Landfill/Dump Fire(s) #2 - 02/12/2018 04:32 PM

https://www.thedailyherald.sx/islands/73609-dump-fire-reignited-sunday-residents-to-take-precautions

Re: Landfill/Dump Fire(s) #2 - 02/12/2018 04:51 PM

Thanks. What a total mess.

Re: Landfill/Dump Fire(s) #2 - 02/12/2018 05:07 PM

Our friends living on island are suffering. These winds aren't helping out this terrible situation.

Re: Landfill/Dump Fire(s) #2 - 02/12/2018 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by SXMScubaman
Our friends living on island are suffering. These winds aren't helping out this terrible situation.

They can thank their politicians for most of the problem.

Re: Landfill/Dump Fire(s) #2 - 02/12/2018 05:27 PM

Yes. They have a lot to say about them about this along with other issues.
Posted By: LBI2SXM

Re: Landfill/Dump Fire(s) #2 - 02/12/2018 11:42 PM

On another forum, cruisers were quite upset with the conditions with the smoke. Their ship told them it was no problem then when they go into town, all the govt. buildings and schools were closed. Every one was wearing masks. They were quite upset with the ship info. Most of them said they will never return to SXM, called it a dump! This is not good for tourism. That govt. better do something and soon and what a predicament for the island residents who just went through he!!.

Re: Landfill/Dump Fire(s) #2 - 02/13/2018 12:11 AM

For sure, it would not leave a good impression. Our first visit was via a cruise in 1991 and the positive impression the island and people we met are what drew us back.

Re: Landfill/Dump Fire(s) #2 - 02/13/2018 12:18 AM

Same here. Our first visit was on a cruise ship in 1989. Kept going back on cruise itineraries for 5 more years until we started making extended trips in 99. First impressions stick with you but most people will see through the smoke and see the real beauty of the locals friendliness and be drawn back. Government needs to step up and tourist more tolerant while this situation gets corrected.
Posted By: SURICK

Re: Landfill/Dump Fire(s) #2 - 02/14/2018 04:19 PM

As I had previously mentioned before, several years ago, an incinerator was all set to be built which would have handled the garbage from both sides of SXM. Anguilla, Saba, and St Barts. Unfortunately, not enough money greased the right palms at the time and so it did not get built. We would not be talking about this situation had it been built. End of story.

Re: Landfill/Dump Fire(s) #2 - 02/14/2018 09:40 PM

Surick,
Where do you get your information from? Anguilla is British, St. Barths is French West Indies as is French side of SXM. Saba is Dutch West Indies. as is Sint Maarten.
I believe this is correct.
So how did 3 different national territories agree on an incinerator. Where would it be?
Curious
Cheers
irina
Posted By: SURICK

Re: Landfill/Dump Fire(s) #2 - 02/15/2018 02:29 AM

Irina, A few years back I had a chance to talk with one of the engineers working on the project. While you are correct that these islands belong to other nations, the incinerator would have been capable of "handling" the garbage from those islands. Of course that would have been a difficult task as I am sure that the $$$ involved to offer this service to these islands charged by the SXM gov't would have been exorbitant. Too bad as it would have solved a great deal of current and future problems. Not 100% sure but I think it was to be built near the area by the fuel docks. Maybe even Indigo Bay. That part of the story I am not sure of.

Re: Landfill/Dump Fire(s) #2 - 02/15/2018 04:21 PM

https://www.thedailyherald.sx/islan...ergy-plans-will-financially-cripple-gebe

Re: Landfill/Dump Fire(s) #2 - 02/16/2018 03:44 PM

https://www.thedailyherald.sx/islands/73687-mp-frans-richardson-arrested-by-tbo-team

As I mentioned earlier...

Re: Landfill/Dump Fire(s) #2 - 02/16/2018 03:56 PM

I spoke with a native island friend yesterday and he indicated it is always a good day when they arrest a politician on SXM!

Re: Landfill/Dump Fire(s) #2 - 02/16/2018 04:01 PM

Wow!! laugh

Re: Landfill/Dump Fire(s) #2 - 02/16/2018 06:17 PM

Met Frans years ago. I was really referring to Windward Roads.............
Posted By: moxie

Re: Landfill/Dump Fire(s) #2 - 02/16/2018 10:33 PM

So true.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline