TravelTalkOnline

Heineken Regatta

Posted By: vetteguy

Heineken Regatta - 02/23/2018 02:23 PM

We have been to St Martin for a number of visits but this will be the first year we can experience the Regatta.
I enjoy photography so I'm wondering where might be the best places to view the boats during the race?
I'm hoping to find a point of land that is close to the race course. Thanks for any info.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Heineken Regatta - 02/23/2018 02:28 PM

The best place to observe the races is on one of the chase boats. Check with Aquamania about that. You can see the boats from Simpson Bay and from Mullet, but if you want any great pictures, you need to get on a boat.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Heineken Regatta - 02/23/2018 04:11 PM

Nice action pictures.

Re: Heineken Regatta - 02/23/2018 04:20 PM

Thanks! But as I said, no way to get those kinds of pictures from land.
Posted By: JimandBeth

Re: Heineken Regatta - 02/23/2018 04:34 PM

As Carol said, get on the chase boats. This is the first time in over 20 years that we will not be on Tango or Lambada for at least two of the three days. They will get you right in the heart of the action. Due to the hurricane damage at Simpson Bay Resort we won't be there this year and I'm so sorry to miss it. I don't imagine that there will be as many boats this year as in the past but it will still be a great experience. Have fun.
Posted By: RonDon

Re: Heineken Regatta - 02/23/2018 04:57 PM

When is the regatta?

Re: Heineken Regatta - 02/23/2018 05:08 PM

March 1 to 4.
Posted By: jazzgal

Re: Heineken Regatta - 02/23/2018 05:21 PM

Another Regatta chase-boat option is the trimaran NO1SXM owned by Pieter and Marian, owners of the Passaat (which sank in Simpson Bay Lagoon during Irma). They are offering a chase-boat experience each day of the Regatta. The following link to the Passaat website talks about the new boat and also says they still have space available for all three days.

NO1SXM

Re: Heineken Regatta - 02/23/2018 05:40 PM

Link to Aqua Mania website

It looks like Aqua Mania also has seats available on all three days, which is unusual this late. We have always gone on Tango, which is why I recommended Aqua Mania, although I know lots of other people do Regatta trips. Just haven't personally taken any of them. Haresh (captain of the Tango) is an excellent captain, and understands how to get the boat really close to the action.
Posted By: SurferMike

Re: Heineken Regatta - 02/23/2018 05:55 PM

Hello vetteguy (from another "vette guy). Go to Plum Bay on the Northwest French side. Just tell the guard at the booth where you're going. The boats came in so close that I put my binoculars down. Enjoy!
Posted By: vetteguy

Re: Heineken Regatta - 02/24/2018 10:45 AM

Those are great shots, Carol and the kind of pics I would like to get.
Just a question or two as I have never been on a small craft on the ocean.
I feel I have decent "sea legs", but how rough will the ride be?
What are the chances of getting my camera equipment wet?
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: Heineken Regatta - 02/24/2018 11:59 AM

How rough? It was so calm one year they cancelled a day of racing due to lack of wind. Another year there were broken/damaged boats from too much wind. We have been on chase boats for 10+ years (sadly, not this year though) and have seen just a few people get sick. A few rum punches into the day and you will be fine!

Depending on the waves and your location on the boat will determine if your equipment gets wet. You should be fine with paying some attention to the conditions. Carol take some good equipment so she can perhaps answer better but we have been on the same boat multiple times.

Also, I am a former "vetteguy". I owned a 1969 t-top for a long time and wish I still had it.

Re: Heineken Regatta - 02/24/2018 01:46 PM

vetteguy--The Tango is not really what I'd call a 'small boat'. It's a huge cat that holds a lot of people--60 maybe?? Not sure. If you're concerned about seasickness, take some Dramamine or similar, before the trip and DON'T drink, except maybe soda. They make the rum punch VERY strong. I never drink the rum punch.

As far as getting the camera wet, the best place to take pictures on Tango is to be at the back, or sometimes on the side. Usually the back is the best place to be. There, there is ZERO chance of getting the camera wet. I figured that out on my first trip on the boat, when I saw the two semi pro photogs hanging out there. I personally never got my camera wet. The biggest issue I have had was trying to change a lens when it was really rough. Normally, you're close enough on Tango to not need the long lens. Like I said, I can't recommend Tango enough, as Haresh knows what's he doing. It's kind of an art, to get close to the action, but not interfere.

I've been on 3 or 4 boat trips, can't remember, and as JD said, sometimes it's very rough and sometimes it is flat as a fritter. The very BEST pictures I've taken have been when it's really rough. That time I saw one person get sick, but she was a kind of lightweight drinker. laugh She was one of our group, so I know. grin

As I said, I'm surprised they still have room. If you want on a spectator boat, you need to book it NOW.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline