TravelTalkOnline

Cigar store in Simpson/Cole Bay area?

Posted By: Bluesfan

Cigar store in Simpson/Cole Bay area? - 03/08/2018 01:01 PM

Does anyone know of a source for Cuban cigars in Simpson Bay area? I know of Guhlimars in Pburg.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Cigar store in Simpson/Cole Bay area? - 03/08/2018 03:48 PM

Booze it up has a nice selection.
Posted By: Kennys

Re: Cigar store in Simpson/Cole Bay area? - 03/08/2018 04:05 PM

Check with the one at Maho .

Re: Cigar store in Simpson/Cole Bay area? - 03/08/2018 04:28 PM

If that is the one on the corner above the underground parking I thought they closed up. Saw a going out of business ad on Facebook a month or so ago and a closing date. They were quite expensive to begin with and could not come close to the prices I got in Phillipsburg a Friendly Duty Free on Front Street.

Re: Cigar store in Simpson/Cole Bay area? - 03/08/2018 05:36 PM

Sunrise Gift shop is closed. Is there another one?
Posted By: CAL7

Re: Cigar store in Simpson/Cole Bay area? - 03/08/2018 06:41 PM

Sorry if this is unresponsive or OT, but I've found that Cubans are more expensive in SXM - and in Europe - than buying mail-order.
Posted By: BillandElaine

Re: Cigar store in Simpson/Cole Bay area? - 03/08/2018 07:31 PM

There is one open in Maho, below where Bamboo Bernies used to be, across from the Pharmacy
Posted By: jazzgal

Re: Cigar store in Simpson/Cole Bay area? - 03/08/2018 08:56 PM

I know nothing about cigars, but do know the owner, who is a great guy. Have you tried DAS Cigars, which originated on SXM? I think Andi has a shop at the cruise village; he used to have one at the airport. Perhaps an island resident can confirm where his shop is now located.

DAS Cigars / Andi Siegers

Re: Cigar store in Simpson/Cole Bay area? - 03/09/2018 12:16 AM

I believe he is still at the Cruise ship dock or very close to it. Always have been wanting to try his out. This year for sure if I can resist buying my Cohiba Robustos and Montecristo #2 cigars.

Re: Cigar store in Simpson/Cole Bay area? - 03/09/2018 12:30 AM

Went into Pburg. Found Kavita's Duty free #92 Front St. box of 25 Montecristo #2 $240 plus $50 Fed Ex to US.

Re: Cigar store in Simpson/Cole Bay area? - 03/09/2018 12:43 AM

Didn't think they could legally ship Cuban products to the USA. Bringing them in yourself yes, shipping them in no.
Posted By: pony600

Re: Cigar store in Simpson/Cole Bay area? - 03/09/2018 01:20 AM

Andi used to sell his cigars at Select Wine Cellar in Cole Bay ,not sure if he still does.
Posted By: LennyM

Re: Cigar store in Simpson/Cole Bay area? - 03/09/2018 01:26 AM

Just be careful of fakes! Find an authorized dealer.

Re: Cigar store in Simpson/Cole Bay area? - 03/09/2018 01:03 PM

Labels are removed and mailed separately if desired.

Re: Cigar store in Simpson/Cole Bay area? - 03/09/2018 03:35 PM

That makes it easy to ship a substitute manufacture. Best to buy them in the sealed box with the authentic Cuban hologram seal. That way you know for sure what your getting.
Posted By: Tom

Re: Cigar store in Simpson/Cole Bay area? - 03/09/2018 05:34 PM

There is still a bit of confusion on the removal of the original cigar embargo. I think individual sales to non commercial companies is permitted and certainly foreign cigar purchases are now legal to bring into the US. The intent (I am told) of excluding commercial cigar companies from this legislation was to avoid companies like JR and Thompson from monopolizing Cuban cigars. I suppose we will see that exclusion disappear pretty soon.

Re: Cigar store in Simpson/Cole Bay area? - 03/09/2018 06:02 PM

The way I read it, and I researched a lot, is that you are allowed to bring back Cuban products limited to a dollar amount that is included in your duty allowance at customs upon re-entry to the USA. Shipments were excluded and not allowed just like alcoholic beverages.

Re: Cigar store in Simpson/Cole Bay area? - 03/10/2018 12:58 PM

Been buying this way for several years with no problem. Some go to my son. Both of us have had no problems or dissatisfaction.
Posted By: SXMWendell

Re: Cigar store in Simpson/Cole Bay area? - 03/10/2018 01:45 PM

Cuban cigars are now legal for an individual to bring back to the USA. In any amount, but duty may have to be paid.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline