TravelTalkOnline

Tipping Suggestions for staff at private Villa

Posted By: Donna Michelle

Tipping Suggestions for staff at private Villa - 05/08/2018 04:45 PM

We'll be renting a Villa in SXM this summer and have some questions regarding tips.

It's a 4 BR, 4 Bath with daily maid service provided. The staff includes:

• Caretaker
• Gardener
• Housekeeper
• Pool Service

What are the customary guidelines for tipping. Does everyone receive a tip or is it limited to Houskeeper and what would be appropriate?

Thanks.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Tipping Suggestions for staff at private Villa - 05/08/2018 06:03 PM

Don't know what anyone else does, but I've never tipped anyone except the housekeeper. Are all 4 bedrooms going to be occupied? If so, if it were ME, I'd tip $20 a day, unless there was a big mess on a particular day and then I'd tip more.
Posted By: DICKG

Re: Tipping Suggestions for staff at private Villa - 05/08/2018 09:26 PM

$ 2 per day per room for Gardner and $5 per day per room for maid

Re: Tipping Suggestions for staff at private Villa - 05/08/2018 10:40 PM

There’s 8 of us so 4 bedrooms will be occupied. We’re pretty much neat freaks so no big messes. Thanks for the suggestion.

Re: Tipping Suggestions for staff at private Villa - 05/08/2018 10:40 PM

Thank you smile
Posted By: sailbynight

Re: Tipping Suggestions for staff at private Villa - 05/10/2018 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by DICKG
$ 2 per day per room for Gardner and $5 per day per room for maid

I think a cleaner who takes care of a vacation property that probably rents for $3-5,000 per week, expects to walk with a bit more than you advise.

We all know these cleaners are paid below what it costs to live on the island.

You trust them with your vacation, your valuables and your family and friends.

My advice? Ask yourself, "who needs that money more?" And be generous, not greedy.
Posted By: irish1223

Re: Tipping Suggestions for staff at private Villa - 05/10/2018 07:25 PM

Personally, I think $5 per room per day is fine, not greedy in the least. In a 4-bedroom villa, that's $20 per day for housekeeping. Let's not forget, they are also getting a paid salary, and as employees of the place are EXPECTED to be honest and not steal as part of their job. JMHO.
Posted By: sasasal

Re: Tipping Suggestions for staff at private Villa - 05/10/2018 08:04 PM

I have to wonder why we americans are so worried about tipping... Tipping is just that!!!! You will not find this kind of question anywhere else, I do not think... Americans are the most giving when it comes to this... However!!! This is up to the person who is getting the service... If they feel the service is way and beyond what they expected, than they give according... If the service was less or nothing, than give or not give. And yes, these people make very little in salary, but this is there job... I have to say, my husband is a big tipper when we go out to eat, and I argue with him on this... Most of the time he is tipping just because he thinks he has too. Nope. this is a very private issue... My thoughts... Would not spend my time wondering about a tip.... But of course just me
Posted By: deputydog1157

Re: Tipping Suggestions for staff at private Villa - 05/10/2018 08:37 PM

While I agree that tipping is a private issue, one has to understand how it works here in the USA. Other countries, I cannot say. I am also not familiar with hotel/villa staff in regards to this topic but I know that when we go on a cruise, I search out the steward and give him/her my requests and immediately hand him or her a $20 bill. This has always made for my ice bucket for my "beverages" being filled, those beverages not being confiscated and my stateroom cleaned very shortly after I leave it. Now when it comes to servers at restaurants, that is a totally different story. I know this from fact because my son is a server at a nationwide chain restaurant. Restaurants can get away with paying the servers much less than the minimum wage. For example here in Florida the minimum wage is $8.25 but servers get paid $5.23 per hour. The restaurant will report to IRS that they make at least the difference up in tips even though the work done setting up and closing down are paid at $5.23 per hour. Oh and from their tips they have to share them with the bartender (if at a restaurant with alcohol), busboys, hostess and expediter. So even though other countries may not have a tipping policy, it is not the norm here. In Florida we get a lot of tourists from the world over and unfortunately the tourists that don't tip or tip very poorly make the servers amount of compensation very very low. I understand that to be a service person is their job but we need to understand that the business owner pays as little as they can to protect their bottom line. I'd be very happy to have the prices at restaurants and hotels be increased to give the employees minimum wage so I wouldn't feel obliged to leave a tip. My rule of thumb is I will tip a minimum of 20% (pre-tax) unless the service was horrendous. There is a standing joke in the restaurants and it is, "What's the difference between a (resident of whatever country) and a canoe? The canoe will tip."
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline