TravelTalkOnline

Upscale lunch..

Posted By: Carol_Hill

Upscale lunch.. - 05/26/2018 01:00 AM

For years, we have gone out to really nice lunches--Dreams, Kakao, etc. However, this year we are struggling to think of places that would suit that mold. Would prefer someplace with at least a view of the ocean, although it's not an absolute necessity. Any suggestions??
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Upscale lunch.. - 05/26/2018 01:27 AM

Make a day of it and go to Pinel. Yellow Beach and Karinubi are in full operation. Mary's Boon too.

Re: Upscale lunch.. - 05/26/2018 01:46 AM

We haven't been to Pinel in years and years. Is there a menu for either Yellow Beach or Karibuni online? Do they have chair service there with wine served in a glass glass?? .

Not sure that Mary's Boon would qualify for what we want, but it is on the list for consideration..
Posted By: johnhill

Re: Upscale lunch.. - 05/26/2018 02:11 AM

Carol; when we stayed at BSV in January we had a lunch 4 times at El Zafiro and it was great. Even better we only had to walk 50 yards from BSV. We have had many lunches over the last 3 years at El Zafiro and never had a bad meal. Enjoy your trip and I am sure you will be impressed at the remodeled/restored BSV.
John Hill

Re: Upscale lunch.. - 05/26/2018 02:51 AM

Sorry, all our experiences at El Zafiro have been dismal. The location is beautiful, but all our experiences there have been bad.. I would never consider them upscale..
Posted By: foreversxm

Re: Upscale lunch.. - 05/26/2018 03:30 AM

If you have not been to Mary's Boon lately you need to go back. The redo after the hurricane is amazing and the food and service excellent. I don't really get El Zafiro. Been twice, nothing special at all and a bit overpriced.
Posted By: Todd

Re: Upscale lunch.. - 05/26/2018 04:38 AM

It is my understanding that Friar's opened back up which may fit a bit closer to Dreams, La Playa and Kakao. I did not eat at Marys Boon this last trip but it is probably in the upper tier right now. As for El Zafiro, it has improved dramatically and I am not sure when that took place but from range of options to quality it is a different experience. I was surprised, very pleasantly surprised, and while not at the level of what Dreams was it is pretty good now. I heard they got a new chef, not sure when that happened. I would guess you could get some recent reviews from the BSV crowd as they were a fairly steady stream of business while we were there mid May.

I heard very mixed reviews on Rainbow in Grand Case, and less than positive on Kokomo.

If there was one thing we missed having on island is a few days at places like La Playa, and our regret was not eating at El Zafiro earlier in the week.
Cheers,
T
Posted By: EdB

Re: Upscale lunch.. - 05/26/2018 05:11 AM

What about the Lotterie Farm??? I think i heard that they have reopened??? It is not a beach day there....but it is a totally wonderful experience. Just a thought.
Posted By: BillandElaine

Re: Upscale lunch.. - 05/26/2018 09:59 AM

Attended a birthday party at El Zafiro about a month ago and the food was just as abysmal as always. If they have a new chef in recent weeks we will wait for a few more decent reviews before wasting our $ again.

While not at the level of Dreams, Mary's Boon does have chair service and wine in REAL glasses.

From all reports, Rainbow has been pissing off all their customers with lousy service.

Re: Upscale lunch.. - 05/26/2018 10:22 AM

Yes. Yellow beach serves wine in stemed glass glasses. Don't recall the menus on there web page or Facebook page. We plan on going there again early next week and I'll try and take a picture of the menu and pm you it.
Posted By: GaKaye

Re: Upscale lunch.. - 05/26/2018 10:23 AM

During our recent trip we had lunch one day at Mary's Boon. The salad we had was excellent, and the service was great. Not Dreams, by any stretch of the imagination, but still good. Karakter was disappointing; their food just isn't what it used to be. We tried to go to Kokomo, but were treated so rudely when we arrived that we left. We also tried to go to Rainbow, but they were closed on a Monday, even though their signage said they were closed on Tuesday, not Monday.

Re: Upscale lunch.. - 05/26/2018 12:43 PM

Thanks everyone for the replies. I had already eliminated Rainbow from consideration, as have heard too many bad stories. And I am terrified of the road to go to Kokomo, so that probably is out. We have been disappointed with Karakter the past few times, and their chairs are just way too close, so had eliminated that also. We may well try Mary's Boon. Scuba--if you could take a picture of the menu at Yellow Beach (and Karibuni too please!!) I'd really appreciate it!!/ Never been to Friars, so I guess that is a possibility.

Re: Upscale lunch.. - 05/26/2018 12:48 PM

Lunch at FBBC is definitely upscale (or it was the last time I was there). Be aware that they don't take credit cards.

As to the road to Kokomo, it was under construction when we went, and we had to detour over a lot of unpaved areas; it was pretty harrowing. And I don't care how good the food is, I'll never go back. I prefer to give my business to people who appreciate it.

Re: Upscale lunch.. - 05/26/2018 12:51 PM

Georgia--OK, thanks regarding FBBC and will definitely strike Kokomo off the list!!

What about Phillipsburg?? Anyplace there, anyone?

Re: Upscale lunch.. - 05/26/2018 12:59 PM

Holland House in Phillipsburg.

Re: Upscale lunch.. - 05/26/2018 01:03 PM

I thought about HH. Have you eaten there? How good a view do they have from the restaurant? I know it's right by the cruise ship dock.
Posted By: jeepers

Re: Upscale lunch.. - 05/26/2018 01:11 PM

We ate several times at Kali's on Friars Bay. Food & service very good. Philipsburg we have eaten at chez delphine on the boardwalk ( I think it's open) more towards end of beach closer to greenhouse, Good food & service, we had chicken with coconut cream sauce. Also greenhouse was very good as well in January.
Glad you are going!

Re: Upscale lunch.. - 05/26/2018 01:30 PM

Used to go to Holland House for breakfast with Annie. Food was good and the view is to die for! They have a very good reputation.

Re: Upscale lunch.. - 05/26/2018 01:34 PM

I do want to get downtown, so we will probably shoot for HH one day. Still open to other suggestions.

I have always heard stuff about bad odors at Friars? And how far a walk is it to Kali's or FBBC from where you park?
Posted By: The_Lurker

Re: Upscale lunch.. - 05/26/2018 01:34 PM

If Ocean view is not necessary, but you want upscale, you could try Isola.
Not sure if they are open for lunch, especially in low season.

Lots of good reviews about Tropicana in Marigot!!
Great view of the Marina.

Re: Upscale lunch.. - 05/26/2018 01:36 PM

Not really interested in Italian, as we very rarely eat Italian on island.

Is Tropicana open?? I'm really kind of leery to go anywhere in Marigot, even during the day, except for Super U..

Re: Upscale lunch.. - 05/26/2018 01:53 PM

I don't know their schedule, but there were so many great reviews on Facebook for Tropicana..

The day we went to the Market, we walked through and it was packed.
I think you may need a reservation for lunch.
There are also tables outside over the water.

If I hadn't just had the greatest shake type drink, at the trailer next to the market, I may have
stayed for lunch.

Pate de la Main and La Petite Alberge were both open and doing well.

We did not feel the least uncomfortable being there.

Re: Upscale lunch.. - 05/26/2018 01:56 PM

HH has a great view of Great Bay and cruse ship dock is at a distance. Food was very good and great setting.

Re: Upscale lunch.. - 05/26/2018 02:11 PM

Not upscale, but Oualichi on the boardwalk has a delicious Caribbean salad.
Posted By: pandpfromcanada

Re: Upscale lunch.. - 05/26/2018 02:32 PM

Friends of our enjoyed lunches at Sol e Luna, Tropicana and Rancho de Sol when they were on the island in March. Marina from Palm Beach seemed to be running Rancho de Sol. They thought it was greatly improved with her influence. I believe Sol e Luna does a fixed price menu at lunch for quite a reasonable price.
Posted By: pandpfromcanada

Re: Upscale lunch.. - 05/26/2018 02:32 PM

Friends of our enjoyed lunches at Sol e Luna, Tropicana and Rancho de Sol when they were on the island in March. Marina from Palm Beach seemed to be running Rancho de Sol. They thought it was greatly improved with her influence. I believe Sol e Luna does a fixed price menu at lunch for quite a reasonable price.

Re: Upscale lunch.. - 05/26/2018 03:44 PM

Tropicana is wonderful and La Main a la Pate is very nice also. No hesitation to go there daytime for lunch, both on the lagoon.
Posted By: RoryS

Re: Upscale lunch.. - 05/26/2018 05:27 PM

What about Antoine in P'burg? Was always a fave of ours. I know they are under new ownership now.
Posted By: LBI2SXM

Re: Upscale lunch.. - 05/26/2018 06:03 PM

Carol, Try Pinel for a great day. Pre Irma, it was like a day at Dreams, only better, and the beach is more beautiful. The food at Karabuni is fantastic. Very French, their burgers and grilled lobster are to die for. IMHO the best on SXM! Yes, they did have glass wineglasses.

Re: Upscale lunch.. - 05/26/2018 06:57 PM

Is Antoine open for lunch?

Re: Upscale lunch.. - 05/26/2018 06:58 PM

OK, thanks regarding Karabuni. It's on the list of possibilities.
Posted By: jazzgal

Re: Upscale lunch.. - 05/26/2018 07:32 PM

What about Antoine's downtown? I've eaten lunch there; view is great.

As far as length of walk on Friar's Bay. Pre-Irma, walk to Kali's was right from the "first" parking lot; not long at all. It was a longer walk to get to FBBC from the "first" parking lot. However, the last couple of trips, I finally found the "second" entrance; it's a very pothole-filled road. Once you get there, however, you are RIGHT behind FBBC so the drive was worth it, to me. The "second" turn is where you also turn to go to Happy Bay. But instead of going straight to Happy Bay (on foot, I think), you turn left for the bad road to FBBC. I'll be checking it all out in a couple of weeks.

Re: Upscale lunch.. - 05/26/2018 08:52 PM

OK, I wasn't sure if Antoine's was open for lunch or not. Thanks. Will take a look at their menu.
Posted By: pony600

Re: Upscale lunch.. - 05/27/2018 12:07 AM

Not on the beach, but have you ever eaten at Le Taitu, on the way to Mont Vernon? Very good food, reasonably priced, in a very quaint setting.

Re: Upscale lunch.. - 05/27/2018 12:24 AM

It's lovely there &Jean is excellent host & owner . Had many lunches & dinner there in January . Really nice setting. Just before sol e Luna.

Re: Upscale lunch.. - 05/27/2018 12:31 AM

Tropicana & la main a la pate open & very good. Either Friday or Saturday Tropicana has grand marnier souffle & they sell bottles of bana. I walked around by myself while hubby had more wine & never felt uncomfortable ( I'm over 65). Love the lipstick store there. They sell banana rum as well $13 at Tropicana ..
Posted By: Canuck54

Re: Upscale lunch.. - 05/27/2018 12:47 AM

We did both lunch and a dinner at Emillio's, no ocean view but is upscale for sure, not sure if Dino is there for lunch but it is a very nice place with great food and atmosphere.
Posted By: BeachKitten

Re: Upscale lunch.. - 05/27/2018 01:15 AM

Antoine's is open for lunch, went by today.

Went to Pinel yesterday, and had a lovely day at Karibuni. Hubby had a fish stuffed with mahi, and I had a steak. Bottle of the "blue" cote de provence. Glasses. wink
Fed the chicken, Margarita, some french fries and lettuce. Thankfully she isn't on the menu! wink

Edit: went to Rainbow as well. I feel if you set your expectations for service and interaction when you arrive (verrrryy nicely, saying bonjour) you will have no problem. Food is excellent. They are charging for chairs/umbrella now, but if you eat there it is 1/2 price. We discussed that before even entering.

Re: Upscale lunch.. - 05/27/2018 01:59 AM

We were on pinel yesterday too. Yellow beach side. Took the last boat off pinell and had to wait for an obnoxious drunk party of women that took forever to pack up and get to the boat. Held up the boat and didn't care. Going back Tuesday again.

Re: Upscale lunch.. - 05/27/2018 10:55 AM

SCUBA!!!! We were on the boat together! I was SO PISSED about those girls....and vocal about it too.....as were the 2 couples that had come over on the same boat with us...noodles? Were you with the group that hit me in the head with the noodle? lol

Re: Upscale lunch.. - 05/27/2018 11:17 AM

No noodles with us. We were in the very back of the boat. Barking away at those girls that Sat beside us.

Re: Upscale lunch.. - 05/27/2018 11:31 AM

Ha ha, we were in front of you then...cuz the worst girl sat behind my husband in the back, granny sat next to hubby, and the "mother" of the girls and other girls sat in front of them. Awfully tense with that little $!#* still mouthing off the whole ride. "it's 4:00 now"...yadda yadda yadda.
They had to GO AND GET THEM to pay their bill and get on the boat. Then they took their sweet time, like they weren't inconveniencing anyone. We were yelling to leave their sorry asses there. And she said, "yeah, do it". Ugh.

Funny, you were at Yellow Beach and we hit Karibuni...yet were on the same Last Boat.

OMG, the seaweed smell at Cul-de-Sac.....P.U.!!!

Re: Upscale lunch.. - 05/27/2018 11:39 AM

What a coincidence. We were the ones directly behind you two and another in our group was sitting on your right side... My friend called them sorry asses and they promply said something crude back to him. Found out the mother brought the girls there for an after school trip from collage in Syracuse. Classy bunch. Not.

Re: Upscale lunch.. - 05/27/2018 12:57 PM

So, Beachkitten and Scuba--did anyone get pictures of the menus for me?? And sorry, Beachkitten, I'm not going to risk Rainbow. Too many people have been unhappy there.
Posted By: CaribJoe

Re: Upscale lunch.. - 05/27/2018 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by BeachKitten
Antoine's is open for lunch, went by today.

Went to Pinel yesterday, and had a lovely day at Karibuni. Hubby had a fish stuffed with mahi, and I had a steak. Bottle of the "blue" cote de provence. Glasses. wink
Fed the chicken, Margarita, some french fries and lettuce. Thankfully she isn't on the menu! wink

Edit: went to Rainbow as well. I feel if you set your expectations for service and interaction when you arrive (verrrryy nicely, saying bonjour) you will have no problem. Food is excellent. They are charging for chairs/umbrella now, but if you eat there it is 1/2 price. We discussed that before even entering.

As an American tourist and long-time visitor to the island, my expectations for service and interaction can be summed up in one word: "welcoming". I speak English and pay in dollars. I should not have to say "bonjour" to ensure my acceptance, and be on my guard against rudeness. Based on the recent negative experience of others, Rainbow is off my list of places to visit on my next return.

Re: Upscale lunch.. - 05/27/2018 01:41 PM

I agree with you CaribJoe. I went to a beach restaurant on the Dutch side, and said Good morning when I arrived. The French gal behind the bar completely ignored me. When I said Bonjour, she did acknowledge my presence, but did little else. We spend our money elsewhere that day, and will never go back.

Re: Upscale lunch.. - 05/27/2018 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by BeachKitten

As others have said, "BS"

We happened to be the couple who posted the negative review in April.
We were more than polite and went out of our way to make it easy for them to fit another couple in, or should I say French couple.

I can not believe how bad we were treated!

Posted By: pat

Re: Upscale lunch.. - 05/27/2018 03:42 PM

And you are not alone in this mistreatment. We know of another group who had made appropriate reservations for lunch and beach lounges and when they arrived they were turned away rudely, being told they didn’t accept reservations and all the unoccupied tables and lounges were taken. Really?!!!!

And as is so often the case, some love it and others not so much. If at all? Totally depends on each individual experience.

Re: Upscale lunch.. - 05/27/2018 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by Carol_Hill
So, Beachkitten and Scuba--did anyone get pictures of the menus for me?? And sorry, Beachkitten, I'm not going to risk Rainbow. Too many people have been unhappy there.

I’ll post pics of menu later, but right now too pressed for time and lazy to go through the process.
Hubby’s birthday dinne tonight at Moulin Fou.
Send me your email and I’ll shoot ‘em to you that way. You may have to enlarge to see anyway.

Re: Upscale lunch.. - 05/27/2018 08:14 PM

Sending you a PM.. Enjoy this evening!!

Re: Upscale lunch.. - 05/27/2018 09:43 PM

Glad you got the menu pics. I was going to take pictures this week to send to Carol when we go Tuesday or Wednesday as it was thought of after we got back from there.

Re: Upscale lunch.. - 05/27/2018 09:49 PM

By the way. When do you arrive on island?

Re: Upscale lunch.. - 05/27/2018 10:34 PM

Scuba--You'll be long gone before we arrive.

Re: Upscale lunch.. - 05/28/2018 01:36 AM

Ya. We leave on Saturday. Week short this year. Usually 4 but this year 3 weeks.
Posted By: irish1223

Re: Upscale lunch.. - 05/28/2018 02:31 AM

Carol, would you be willing to post the menus on here?

Re: Upscale lunch.. - 05/28/2018 12:12 PM

I can try to do it on Tuesday. Don't think I can do it from my laptop. I'm not sure but I think that Beachkitten sent me only Karibuni, not Yellow Beach. She said that Yellow Beach was more like sandwiches, etc.

Re: Upscale lunch.. - 05/28/2018 12:19 PM

Hamburgers, salads, bbq, ribs, pizza, etc

An internet search reveals TripAdvisor pics of their menu. wink

Re: Upscale lunch.. - 05/28/2018 12:22 PM

Yellow beach was pretty much the same as Karinubi if I remember right. Will try and check it out Tuesday or Wednesday. Yellow beach had live Lobster out of their cages too. Saw a post on Facebook Pinel was closed yesterday due to massive amount of seaweed at ferry dock.

Re: Upscale lunch.. - 05/28/2018 12:24 PM

Eeks. Yes, I would hate to fall in the water near the ferry dock. Disgusting!

Menus were a bit different. Karibuni also had huge lobsters in a tank.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline