TravelTalkOnline

Every thing is in perspective

Posted By: Eric_Hill

Every thing is in perspective - 06/15/2018 07:37 PM

Ok, it has been less than 24 hours so far. Will not bore you with the details so far, that will come!

We have only driven, cole bay, up over the hill to the old grand marche (now Caredfour sp?). Talk about a change at Carefour -- we knew where everything was located, now have to learn all over again. Major change, and can say it is NOT BAD AT ALL.

Went to p'burg to the electronic store for the fix for the phone. Very professional and was done correctly..... Thanks Beachkitchen for the info. Have phone and travel it works, evreything carried over.... Now have to read the XQVX instructions --- was simple before you pressed numbers on the keypad and it called!!! Now you have all of these "other" things to deal with!! Give me a phone that makes phone calls only!! (G)

Ok, enough of that, more to come.

FIRST IMPRESSION and only what we have done so far.

Simpson Bay, driving on the main drag ---- if you have never been here before ---- NO ISSUES at all. What you do not know does not hurt you. Do we know some difference, yes -- was it EXTREME NO.

Have not driven/been to Maho, but can see it from here. Construction yes!! If you have not been here --- new build!! Everything is perspective.

Went to p'burg for the phone, nothing exciting. But was watching my driving and cars and traffic also. But nothing stood out. Just normal construction for the most part, especially if you did not know any better. Saw workers repairing buildings... that is normal..... again what is the perspective.

Ok yes, you could say a lot of things................ BUT remember ......... WE STILL HAVE BLUE PLASTIC ON OUR ROOF AT HOME IN FLORIDA TODAY............ we are hoping that we will have a new roof either when we get home or the week that we get home.....PERSPECTIVE is the key.

Will relay a whole lot more.... but wine, Ribs for lunch, etc is not a bad thing! And the water is blue and the view is amazing. Did I forget to mention about the sand in front AND no seaweed!!! And most important, PAT did not steal and hide Saba and St Barts this morning. She must have gotten up late or forgot!!!

Besides my glass is empty! That is not a good thing --- ok reminder to self, got to go to the grocery tomorrow to pick up more wine!!! And KLM just landed, life is good, never get tired of that! (g)

Eric

Re: Every thing is in perspective - 06/15/2018 07:46 PM

Ok, had a double post, internet funky here this afternoorn. Deleted the double post.

Also Carol has pictures already.. more to come...

Do you like pictures of RIBS AND WINE??????

Just asking?

Never mind, you will probably see them anyway.
Posted By: BeachKitten

Re: Every thing is in perspective - 06/15/2018 07:58 PM

Aha! Now I know where you are....was wondering why I had not heard from Carol after completing the last few parts of a trip report.

Sooooooooooo, what's for dinner??!! smile
Posted By: Coffee

Re: Every thing is in perspective - 06/15/2018 08:17 PM

Great report. We will be there in October. Can’t wait. The Divi is improving every day.

Re: Every thing is in perspective - 06/15/2018 08:20 PM

Tonight, AHHHH

How does Sirloin sound on the grill with salad, wine etc,, some potatoes there somewhere!

Got the stuff for Mimosis (sp) in the morning, does that count? Oh, yes there might be some other food also...… but eggs, slice ham, etc are not In that same league. But will try to make do the best we can. Such hardship you know! (G)
Posted By: Leagle49

Re: Every thing is in perspective - 06/15/2018 09:05 PM

Everything sounds wonderful! How was the parking at Carrefour?
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Every thing is in perspective - 06/15/2018 09:05 PM

OK, I see Eric has blown our cover. I had thought to keep it intact for another day or so. However, other than the vegetation, Beachside looks like nothing ever happened here. It is beautiful, perfect, the ocean is such a sparkling blue, life is good!
Posted By: SXMFOX

Re: Every thing is in perspective - 06/15/2018 09:55 PM

We’re glad y’all are having a great start to your vacation! And we’re so glad the seaweed is finally gone! Have fun, can’t wait for the pictures! By the way, they have brand new coolers and some used umbrellas in the pool shack! Enjoy!
Posted By: jeepers

Re: Every thing is in perspective - 06/15/2018 10:05 PM

He just couldn't help himself, Carol. He seems VERY happy to be there as I'm sure you are too. Enjoy your anniversary!
Can't wait for your photos.
Cheers

Re: Every thing is in perspective - 06/15/2018 10:17 PM

Yes, we are happy. Thanks for the good wishes!

Re: Every thing is in perspective - 06/15/2018 10:18 PM

Ah, too late! We already rented a cooler and an umbrella from Craig from Packlight! No worries, it's all good!
Posted By: BeachKitten

Re: Every thing is in perspective - 06/15/2018 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by Carol_Hill
OK, I see Eric has blown our cover. I had thought to keep it intact for another day or so. However, other than the vegetation, Beachside looks like nothing ever happened here. It is beautiful, perfect, the ocean is such a sparkling blue, life is good!

Can't give the man a laptop and the Wifi code and expect it to stay secret. wink

What unit are you in?

What's the deal with #11? The furniture was different outside, was always open and didn't appear fully repaired, but it seemed 3 guys were staying there. Construction workers?

And if no one feels like cooking breakfast, one of you (Eric) can go to Maho Market and get things from the breakfast bar. Good eggs, hash browns, bacon, etc. Put it on a plate and let the other think you made it! lol Johnny Cakes!

Re: Every thing is in perspective - 06/15/2018 11:26 PM

#11 is privately owned. It was in disrepair for YEARS and YEARS and they finally fixed it up, and then Irma happened..
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: Every thing is in perspective - 06/15/2018 11:53 PM

Thanks for checking in. Enjoy!
Posted By: jeepers

Re: Every thing is in perspective - 06/16/2018 12:12 AM

I agree with everything in perspective. People were saying if you've never been don't go now but going now they will see it with different eyes & guaranteed to have a good time.

Re: Every thing is in perspective - 06/16/2018 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Leagle49
Everything sounds wonderful! How was the parking at Carrefour?

At least when we got there, think it was around 4pm on Thursday. Maybe we were lucky, but there was at least 6 to 10 parking spots available. Will see how it goes next time.
Posted By: SXMNorm

Re: Every thing is in perspective - 06/16/2018 01:22 PM

Thanks for "blowing" your cover. Keep us in the loop.

Re: Every thing is in perspective - 06/16/2018 07:59 PM

Well, we drove today to the French side, and I have to say that it wasn't as bad as I expected. I guess that I have been steeling myself for months to see it for the first time, but it wasn't bad. ..or as bad as I thought it would be, I guess. We had a FABULOUS lunch at Tropicana, now we're in for the evening, I think. When I finally gather the energy, will get some pictures posted..
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Every thing is in perspective - 06/16/2018 09:37 PM

Take a drive on the East side of the French side starting on the east end of Phillipsburg all the way to Orient. You'll get an eye full. So Sad.

Re: Every thing is in perspective - 06/16/2018 09:51 PM

As I said, it really wasn't as bad, going to Orient, as I expected. Grand Case is a ghost town, and the street makes it much worse, because they are putting the cables there in the street, and it is extremely bumpy going through there.

Re: Every thing is in perspective - 06/17/2018 12:05 AM

Did you go along the east end of the island or just up through Marigot and Grand case to get to Orient?

Re: Every thing is in perspective - 06/17/2018 12:55 AM

Sorry, the east end?? We went Marigot, Grand Case, Orient, yes..
Posted By: lina

Re: Every thing is in perspective - 06/17/2018 02:21 AM

Agree Carol... i was here January it was horrible, but now , today , it has come back 100 fold. My husband would not walk over there to see the destruction on orient ... we had a great day today on his beloved Orient. Rode around and he said , for a small island its not that bad. We went to Prickly pear yesterday and spoke to a lot , to many people, they told us, they were told to put the garbage at the end of their streets, days after Irma. And the next day the trash was removed. They worked day and nite, once they cleared their streets, then the power and water personnel were able to do do their job. We were told the French side is taking longer because they have to share the clean up with St Barths, and because they are a more affluent island, they received the help faster..again its getting better and better ..
Posted By: TravelHat

Re: Every thing is in perspective - 06/17/2018 02:41 AM

Have fun. Glad you made it back. Sounds like there are some good things happening in Orient Village if you can fit it in for dinner. Gonna miss the Dreams big steak pics.
Posted By: bluejacket

Re: Every thing is in perspective - 06/17/2018 10:54 AM

Carol, are you guys gonna find a new place for prime rib?
I was just thinking about those prime rib photos from Dreams. We had planned on going there.

Re: Every thing is in perspective - 06/17/2018 12:40 PM

Yeah, that was a wonderful meal for sure!! Don't know that there is any way we will be able to match that.
Posted By: pat

Re: Every thing is in perspective - 06/17/2018 01:24 PM

I bet Eric could find some potatoes, possibly lots of potatoes, and make you some great potato surprises! 😊😊
Posted By: PelicanPirate

Re: Every thing is in perspective - 06/17/2018 02:24 PM

Welcome back.

Re: Every thing is in perspective - 06/17/2018 02:45 PM

Sorry, the east end?? We went Marigot, Grand Case, Orient, yes..

Referring to the eastern side of the island before you get to Orient. Areas just past Oyster Pond heading north looked very bad.

Re: Every thing is in perspective - 06/17/2018 03:07 PM

Pat--laugh No potatoes, YET, but there's still time!

Re: Every thing is in perspective - 06/17/2018 03:07 PM

Scuba--no, we didn't drive toward Oyster Pond.
Posted By: The_Lurker

Re: Every thing is in perspective - 06/17/2018 03:33 PM

Just one word----ENJOY!!!!!

dine
Posted By: pat

Re: Every thing is in perspective - 06/17/2018 03:45 PM

Pat--laugh No potatoes, YET, but there's still time!

If he finds them again, and if you can convince him to stay long enough, you could always make vodka, no? 😀😀

Re: Every thing is in perspective - 06/17/2018 03:49 PM

Nah, we don't drink vodka... grin

Eric looked at the onions, thinking about French onion soup, and I told him NO!!!
Posted By: jazzgal

Re: Every thing is in perspective - 06/17/2018 11:32 PM

Scuba - I think you may be referring to Coralita area? I agree, that was hit pretty hard.

Re: Every thing is in perspective - 06/18/2018 12:35 AM

Yes. The area between oyster and orient.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline