Posted By: ruralcarrier

No Short-Term Solution for the Dump - 09/13/2018 09:41 AM

Daily Herald Link
Posted By: BillandElaine

Re: No Short-Term SOlution for the Dump - 09/13/2018 10:43 AM

No long term one either.
Posted By: SXMBND

Re: No Short-Term SOlution for the Dump - 09/13/2018 04:33 PM

Just curious........how does Bermuda handle it's waste??? Last time there I saw no evidence of a landfill or burning.
Posted By: LBI2SXM

Re: No Short-Term SOlution for the Dump - 09/13/2018 05:12 PM

Right on, Elaine!
Posted By: Snorkeller

Re: No Short-Term SOlution for the Dump - 09/13/2018 05:22 PM

30 years ago, Bermuda built a waste treatment plant using incineration - the waste to energy type plan. Bermuda struggles now to deal with current waste, but there really is no comparison to how Bermuda has handled problem and the way Sint Maarten has. Sint Maarten has a horrific open dump approach - which is as bad as places with far less resources. It would seem blatantly obvious that the solution has to include incineration and a strictly regulated recycling and waste handling plan, as Bermuda and other places have done. The inaction of a generation of politicians in Sint Maarten is utterly disgraceful. Given how some island politicians seem to think Sint Maarten should and could be more independent, the reality is that the Hague is going to have to lead and compel a waste management solution if Sint Maarten is to survive as a tourist detination.
Posted By: MrWhiskerssammy

Re: No Short-Term SOlution for the Dump - 09/13/2018 09:01 PM

As the old saying goes...…….You can't fix stupid!!
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: No Short-Term SOlution for the Dump - 09/13/2018 10:38 PM

There are some recycling sites with more coming. It's a start.
http://greensxm.com/saint-martin-sint-maarten-recycling-locations/
Posted By: WorkerBee

Re: No Short-Term SOlution for the Dump - 09/14/2018 07:51 PM

I saw a special once where they solved the garbage issue by hydraulically compressing it into blocks about 2' X 2' then coating with a sealing compound (looked like tar but may be something else environmentally friendly. The finished blocks were hard as concrete. They then took the blocks and used for road construction base. They solved the garbage issue and improved the quality of roadways. I think it was in Japan but could have been another island. The blocks could probably be useful for other public works projects or sold off island for projects.
Posted By: Bahston

Re: No Short-Term SOlution for the Dump - 09/15/2018 02:48 AM

There are some easy things that they can do to at least get started. One would be to keep tires out of the general waste, and ship them off-island for recycling. Burning tires are smoky, and difficult to put out. Collect them separately, and barge them off-island.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: No Short-Term SOlution for the Dump - 09/15/2018 02:47 PM

https://www.thedailyherald.sx/islands/80649-court-to-hear-dump-fire-injunction-september-27
Posted By: irina

Re: No Short-Term SOlution for the Dump - 09/15/2018 03:45 PM

In BGI many years ago, I was told they grind up glass bottles and use it for road construction. They need to implement recycling. I asked at SBYC back in 98 what to do with the recycled materials, paper, metal, glass etc. I got laughed at.
Posted By: SXMBND

Re: No Short-Term SOlution for the Dump - 09/16/2018 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by Snorkeller
30 years ago, Bermuda built a waste treatment plant using incineration - the waste to energy type plan. Bermuda struggles now to deal with current waste, but there really is no comparison to how Bermuda has handled problem and the way Sint Maarten has. Sint Maarten has a horrific open dump approach - which is as bad as places with far less resources. It would seem blatantly obvious that the solution has to include incineration and a strictly regulated recycling and waste handling plan, as Bermuda and other places have done. The inaction of a generation of politicians in Sint Maarten is utterly disgraceful. Given how some island politicians seem to think Sint Maarten should and could be more independent, the reality is that the Hague is going to have to lead and compel a waste management solution if Sint Maarten is to survive as a tourist detination.

TY
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline