TravelTalkOnline

Tourism Stats

Posted By: SXMScubaman

Tourism Stats - 11/06/2018 03:42 PM

https://www.thedailyherald.sx/islands/82353-tourism-updates-plans-presented
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: Tourism Stats - 11/06/2018 04:39 PM

While it is not all bad news, it is not a glowing report IMHO.
Posted By: Maria_and_Steve

Re: Tourism Stats - 11/07/2018 12:30 AM

Wow, 25% is all the island could manage, compared with 2017. Not good at all.

We had friends visit the island a week ago who had visited six time previously. They said they were sadly disappointed with both sides of the island, based on lack of restaurants, damage still apparent everywhere and the beaches with lots of debris from the hurricanes.

They also said the airport was really really bad when they flew out because of the continuing "tent" situation.

So sad this is still evident more than a year later.
Posted By: irish1223

Re: Tourism Stats - 11/07/2018 12:57 AM

While it is sad in many ways, and admitting that disappointment (or delight) is a very individual thing, we must respectfully disagree with some on your friends' assessments. During our June 2018 visit, we did not suffer from a lack of restaurants on the Dutch side; in fact, many of our favorites were up and running, and we tried out some new ones as well. While damage was of course apparent, especially on the French side, we did not find much debris on the beaches we visited (with the notable exception of Club O itself, though the beach was cleaned up nicely). And while the tent situation is not the best, it did not delay us in any way and our wait times were within reasonable limits, especially during arrival. This may, of course, depend on when one arrives and departs, and how many other planes are doing so at the same time; but we expected big delays and did not find any. Perhaps our expectations were less and we were more than thrilled just to be back (have been going once or twice a year for the past 12 years). While the island admittedly still has a ways to go to get back up to par, sometimes things are what you make them. Yes, there were a few initial tears, but overall we smiled the whole time. We will be there again the end of this month and can't wait.
Posted By: SandS

Re: Tourism Stats - 11/07/2018 01:23 AM

We are in St. Maarten now. Yes, there are less restaurants but there are still plenty of choices. With no tourists it is pretty hard to stay in business. There is a lot of visible damage. Much more than I was led to believe and I haven't been to the French side yet. For me it is what it is and I love St. Maarten but it certainly could be a turn off to new visitors. Arrival at the tent airport was very smooth but I haven't experienced departure yet.
Posted By: pat

Re: Tourism Stats - 11/07/2018 01:37 AM

We arrived yesterday on the AA flight via CLT but we were right behind a big Air France. Immigration was a piece of cake. Luggage not so much but hey - we are here on the island and that’s really all that matters.
Posted By: seascape

Re: Tourism Stats - 11/07/2018 01:48 AM

We were due in St. Martin the day Irma hit. We were sceptical to return last Summer, so we took a cruise with a stop there just to spend the day driving around the sights we love. While the destruction was horrific, we saw new construction everywhere. We have been through a hurricane and can’t imagine living through a five. It will take along time to get back to normal but they are trying and we are looking so forward to returning in January and spending our money with the people that need it.
Posted By: LBI2SXM

Re: Tourism Stats - 11/07/2018 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by pat
We arrived yesterday on the AA flight via CLT but we were right behind a big Air France. Immigration was a piece of cake. Luggage not so much but hey - we are here on the island and that’s really all that matters.

Pat, Have a wonderful and safe vacation.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Tourism Stats - 11/07/2018 02:22 AM

Pat--Enjoy! Looking forward to hearing some more about your trip, at some point. smile
Posted By: megamania

Re: Tourism Stats - 11/07/2018 03:13 AM

We are bringing 3 newbies with us this coming January. I sure hope that they too will feel the love for the island that we have had. It sure seems to me that we should be able to have a fun time, and I have been checking on what is open and what is not. I am sure I will be shocked at some of the devastation, but all in all I hope not too bad. The point one person said, which is very true, the island and the businesses need our dollars. So looking forward to visiting again, some old familiar places and hopefully some new.
Posted By: jazzgal

Re: Tourism Stats - 11/07/2018 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by irish1223
While it is sad in many ways, and admitting that disappointment (or delight) is a very individual thing, we must respectfully disagree with some on your friends' assessments. During our June 2018 visit, we did not suffer from a lack of restaurants on the Dutch side; in fact, many of our favorites were up and running, and we tried out some new ones as well. While damage was of course apparent, especially on the French side, we did not find much debris on the beaches we visited (with the notable exception of Club O itself, though the beach was cleaned up nicely). And while the tent situation is not the best, it did not delay us in any way and our wait times were within reasonable limits, especially during arrival. This may, of course, depend on when one arrives and departs, and how many other planes are doing so at the same time; but we expected big delays and did not find any. Perhaps our expectations were less and we were more than thrilled just to be back (have been going once or twice a year for the past 12 years). While the island admittedly still has a ways to go to get back up to par, sometimes things are what you make them. Yes, there were a few initial tears, but overall we smiled the whole time. We will be there again the end of this month and can't wait.

I agree with every word of this post.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Tourism Stats - 11/07/2018 08:10 PM

I agree also. It is truly sad that places like Dreams are gone forever, but there are still PLENTY of restaurants to eat at. We had zero problems at the airport, although I agree it is not optimal. My personal opinion is that the French side government is hindering the rebuilding process, more than helping, but there is still lots of progress, even on the French side, which is, admittedly, sadly lagging behind. One can bemoan what isn't there, or one can truly ENJOY what IS there, and there is LOTS to enjoy. I wish I could go back tomorrow.
Posted By: Renee

Re: Tourism Stats - 11/07/2018 08:54 PM

Here are our thoughts on returning....EVERYTHING may not be open as we remember....but ENOUGH will be open to keep us happy for our 10 days. I know there will still be cleanup going on, but we go to experience the island and her beautiful beaches, cuisine/cocktails, and, of course, the wonderful people. We are easy people and just look forward to relaxing, enjoying each other's company, and living the simple island life. We plan on looking past everything else. Isn't that what life should be anyway...? ♥
Posted By: tnw2007

Re: Tourism Stats - 11/08/2018 03:51 PM

We agree Renee, we are simple and ease folks as well and are just looking forward to spending some quality time with each other and friends,
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline