TravelTalkOnline

Princess Juliana Airport

Posted By: Allan

Princess Juliana Airport - 11/19/2018 05:37 PM

Is the gift shop and the store outlets open and available for flights leaving SXM?
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Princess Juliana Airport - 11/19/2018 05:46 PM

Yes there are some gift shops in the tented departure area along with a small food court.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Princess Juliana Airport - 11/19/2018 06:08 PM

Here

is a link to my trip report finale from June this year, that shows what is available right now in the departure tent. As of approximately December 15 this year (hopefully) they will be moving to the bottom floor inside the actual airport. What will be there at that time is anyone's guess, although it presumably should be at least the same amount (which isn't a whole lot).

Re: Princess Juliana Airport - 11/19/2018 06:15 PM

Carol - I could not locate your link - Does the tented departure area have a spirit shoppe?

Re: Princess Juliana Airport - 11/19/2018 06:18 PM

Click on the HERE

Re: Princess Juliana Airport - 11/19/2018 06:30 PM

Carol - a picture is worth a thousand words - thanks for sharing
(I enjoyed the photo of you partaking in the bottle of Rose at the airport)

Re: Princess Juliana Airport - 11/19/2018 06:33 PM

Allan--no problem. Welcome to TTOL!

Re: Princess Juliana Airport - 11/19/2018 07:28 PM

"Does the tented departure area have a spirit shoppe?"
Yes but the duty free shop has a limited selection and higher prices than you would find out of the airport.
Posted By: Langford3733

Re: Princess Juliana Airport - 11/19/2018 10:20 PM

The attached pictures were taken yesterday at the airport. It was stifling hot. The only relief were large fans which one or two individuals stood on front of defeating their purpose. In addition multiple flights were being called to some gates leaving it impossible to negotiate through the crowd.
With high season getting in the swing the sooner they get in to the airport the better.

Attached picture Resized_20181118_141122_4043.jpg
Attached picture Resized_20181118_141118_4596.jpg
Attached picture Resized_20181118_141116_5314.jpg
Attached picture Resized_20181118_141114_6220.jpg
Posted By: BillandElaine

Re: Princess Juliana Airport - 11/19/2018 10:57 PM

It busiest on Saturdays. We flew out then back in on Monday and Thursday when there were no big crowds and the tents were fairly comfortable. Not much selection inside of anything. If you can avoid flying Saturday you will have a better experience.

Re: Princess Juliana Airport - 11/19/2018 11:14 PM

Looks like it did when we flew out on a Saturday in June.

Re: Princess Juliana Airport - 11/19/2018 11:21 PM

Elaine--as you know, weekends have always been the busiest. That is why we try, if at all possible, to fly during the week. In June, we flew on Thursday and Monday and 'flew' through both ways.
Posted By: Steve Bond

Re: Princess Juliana Airport - 11/19/2018 11:56 PM

While I agree avoiding the weekends is preferable, we like many other timeshare owners have weeks that are Saturday to Saturday. We do not have the flexibility to change to weekdays without cutting our vacation short. Hoping they meet the December 15th date(moved from November) as it will be just in time for our December visit. There in April and the tent wasn’t bad but I expect far worse as tourism picks up if the date slips again.
Posted By: Pan

Re: Princess Juliana Airport - 11/20/2018 12:41 AM

We're in those pics somewhere. It was hot and uncomfortable at times yesterday waiting around until boarding. Then it got worse waiting inside the hot bus to fill up thanks to the slow processing at the boarding gate. I know they are trying their best under these circumstances but I hope the terminal building re-opens soon.

Re: Princess Juliana Airport - 11/20/2018 12:44 AM

Steve--yes, many people have no choice, and that's why the weekends are so busy. For you, and all the other travelers, hope they meet that new date, to move to the terminal.
Posted By: Steve Bond

Re: Princess Juliana Airport - 11/20/2018 12:46 AM

Thanks. Fingers crossed!
Posted By: GaKaye

Re: Princess Juliana Airport - 11/20/2018 12:47 AM

Yep, not looking forward to our arrival and departure on Saturdays soon. But, I am looking forward to our visit, so we'll deal with the inconvenience. It wasn't bad at all when we were there in May; I'm sure things are much different now with more people visiting.
Posted By: mt10tr

Re: Princess Juliana Airport - 11/20/2018 01:36 AM

The crowded situation was the same for us on a Saturday in October. We were never able to have a seat but it was a small price to pay for 2 weeks of a wonderful vacation. We consider ourselves fortunate since many don't have the opportunity to have the luxury of a vacation. Flying is a necessary evil no matter where you go but need to keep the eye on the prize. I have the feeling most of us are of the same mindset.
Posted By: Bahston

Re: Princess Juliana Airport - 11/20/2018 03:02 AM

The A/C was out in the departure tent today. A departing friend described it as having a lot of passengers with a “ripe” odor.

Re: Princess Juliana Airport - 11/20/2018 01:50 PM

Yikes. Not good. I guess Pat had an uncomfortable departure then. Hopefully you made it home ok, lady!
Posted By: AUCspouse

Re: Princess Juliana Airport - 11/20/2018 02:46 PM

Whenever we've been stuck in the departure tent, we try to remember all of the residents of St. Maarten who are still living under a blue tarp.

The departure lounge is not perfect -- but a crowded departure lounge is a "first world problem," for sure. And in the departure lounge, cold beer is available -- and it's cheap (two for $5, if I remember correctly).
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline